Rubber strap splitting on Band2

Nate Silver

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
Some folks must be much rougher than others, or something, never had these sort of issues (for any of my wearables for that matter). But you do get a certain class of folks, who seem to have no end of trouble, & get a 2nd 3rd 4th 5th (LOL) unit within 12 months -no matter the wearable!

I think this comes across as quite judgmental, and if you do some research on the subject you will find that this issue is not at all limited to only a few units, and certainly not limited to "a certain class of folks". It is a real issue for normal "folks" who wear their Bands as they are intended to be worn, for activities that the Band is made to track. I have owned more than a few (and still own several) fitness wearables. I have returned a couple due to performance issues, but the only ones I returned for manufacturing defects were Band 1 and Band 2. And I very much liked Band 1, as well as I like Band 2. But a problem is a problem, and not down to "a certain class of people".

JediTWang

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I think this comes across as quite judgmental, and if you do some research on the subject you will find that this issue is not at all limited to only a few units, and certainly not limited to "a certain class of folks". It is a real issue for normal "folks" who wear their Bands as they are intended to be worn, for activities that the Band is made to track. I have owned more than a few (and still own several) fitness wearables. I have returned a couple due to performance issues, but the only ones I returned for manufacturing defects were Band 1 and Band 2. And I very much liked Band 1, as well as I like Band 2. But a problem is a problem, and not down to "a certain class of people".

Nah, wasn't judgemental at all, just an observation, if any gentle soul took offence please don't, wasn't meant in that way at all, your post was judgemental in the way you chose to spin it, that was quite judgemental. Have owned many a wearable, in every community I've seen tonnes of folks have issues with their device, some way more than others, & every time I just haven't to anywhere near the same degree, & it's not at all been limited to the MSB -far from it. Not an attack on any one group per-say, just speaking on experience & wondering aloud, & only guessing that perhaps certain groupings are way rougher than others, not calling that out as their fault in any way, that's where your judgemental post came in.

JediTWang

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Perhaps a more PC way instead of "way rougher", is way more demanding on the resilience of their device.
Again, not their fault, up to the ODM to ensure it's hardened for as wide a variety of use-cases/env/users as possible.
Though as complexity of a device goes up, so does it get harder to ensure this -esp. in earlier iterations.
Not blind to the issues, very well aware of all of them, hopefully MS will have -mostly- hit their stride with the MSB3.
Took them about that long to get on a more even keel for the SP, we shall see...

DeNachtwacht

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site

JediTWang

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
You seem to have some sort of misconception about what my "position" is here.
I have already made abundantly clear what I'm saying, maybe try re-reading.
I'm a very active guy, I hope I don't have a prob. but I'm well aware it's possible.

I see all this has the potential to deg. into "I must win an imagined argument on the internet".
Sorry, but no time for that, unsub'ing...
No point directing any more posts at me, as I won't be around to respond/counter.
Nothing personal, just don't have the time to burn lately...

Last edited:

Teeceman

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
Not to be rude but I hope you won't find out the hard way how fast these Bands tear.

Let's see what I said about this issue on January 31rd in another topic: http://forums.windowscentral.com/microsoft-band-2/407941-my-band-2-tearing.html#post3392528
And let's see what I had to do on March 3rd: http://forums.windowscentral.com/microsoft-band-2/407353-3.htm#post3429524

I think your post may end up being the experience of quite a few people, as it does seem on the surface that wearers must be pretty rough with the band if you haven't experienced the issue and then it happens to you and you kinda wonder how or why. Many have reported not doing extensive exercise work that would stress the band but yet it still develops a tear.

Luke henderson1

Jan 28, 2016
Visit site
Hey Luke did you get yours replaced? Im also in Australia and got my from the uk from my parents as a gift. And mine has also just started to split. Can you let me no the process you went through. Cheers

so I called on the 14th to start the process and only just got the shipping label yesterday. as the device is sold in all three countries, the warranty should be fine. I will post mine off next week, with luck they will send me a proper replacement

Dekka150

Apr 1, 2016
Visit site
Hi All,
I live in the UK and I posted by damaged Band 2 back to Microsoft on Monday 28 March using their prepaid label and ups. The band 2 arrived at their offices (in Germany) on Thursday 31 March and today I have had notification that hey have shipped me a replacement Band 2. I must say that the MS Support guy that I spoke to at the start of the return process was most helpful. Just as a note I've had my Band 2 since the 6th January.

BlackSheriff84

May 24, 2013
Visit site
So, sadly I have had to send my band 2 back for service due to the band splitting and now my wrist is feeling lonely and I am only relying on my L950XL motion data to track my steps. Quick question does the phone have to be in my pocket or hand to calculate steps or will it work in my work bag or even in the bottom of my baby stroller?

nicktramontin

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
An update on my saga of having my band 2 returned back to me twice by Microsoft Service Centre refusing warranty replacement. I had the Global Escalation Services team now agreeing to replace it so 3rd time lucky :) unfortunately my wife's Band 2 is now showing the same issue in the same location on BOTH sides of the band after 3 months usage. Maybe it is made worse wearing it in bed as we both do?

This is a quote from the Global Escalation Service team in their response to me:

To ensure I understand your issue, you’d sent your device in for exchange however received it back from the service center with a letter indicating the device was returned to you as it was received and the warranty voided.
I wanted to let you know I’ve reviewed the situation and would like to share the results of my investigation with you. Based on a small number of reports from customers whose devices were returned in a similar fashion to yours, we discovered our service center was not informed that this falls under the standard warranty terms. As a result, they were following their process for severely physical damaged units and returning the devices “as is” to customers. We have made the service center aware of this issue and are working on steps to get it corrected in the future.
I understand this is not the answer you were hoping for and deeply apologize for the inconvenience. Normally there would be a charge for processing an order for a replacement device in this situation, however due to the circumstances I have created an order for your Band under Service Request Number: xxxxxxxxxxxxx. With this order I’ve specifically asked the service center to ignore their previous damage decision and process the exchange.

Nate Silver

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
Good news, Nick. A shame it took global escalation to get it sorted, though. I understand MS's position of trying not to take a bath on Band 2, but they must by now realize that there is a genuine problem with the strap design where it integrates into the body of the device. It isn't readily apparent until you actually have the split occur, but then its very obvious that the rigid and sharp-edged circuit board is bound to weaken and stress the pliable strap material over time until it finally fails. I'm still using my replacement Band and it hasn't shown any signs of failure yet, but I'm sure it will eventually.

Hopefully Band 3 will address this and the inconsistent hr sensor performance during workouts. I wonder though, if MS will even bother with a Band 3 after two not terribly successful attempts at what is essentially a niche product? I hope they are treating this as a learning experience, and won't abandon the fitness tracker market.

LarsCor

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
My Band 2 hasnt split yet, but it seems thats only a matter of time reading your stories. Anyone tried to apply some kind of rubber conditioner, to keep it from dryig out?

alphaswift

Oct 29, 2015
Visit site
My Band 2 split right where the point where the rubber leaves the device and becomes just the strap part.

I called Microsoft Friday. They sent a shipping label immediately and I shipped the band on Monday. I got a email yesterday saying they received it and yesterday got an email saying my replacement was shipped. Nice service.

BlackSheriff84

May 24, 2013
Visit site
I got my band back yesterday from Microsoft Australia they have replaced my band due to the split in the rubber. My band was purchased from Argos in the UK so I would say it doesn't matter how or where you purchased your band. Just google Microsoft Band service request and go from there.

It wasn't as smooth sailing as it sounds, it took a couple weeks and several messages to the answer desk to receive the shipping label. But one I received it and the courier collected it from my work place and I received a new device within a week :)

LarsCor

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I tried making the rubber supple again using rubber conditioner (bought at a car shop, meant for preventing rubber from tearing/splitting). The band now feels a little more softer and rough edges near the spot where most of you have the big tears, are now little softer as well. Not sure if this will work on the long term, but it's worth the shot.

Good to hear MS will replace the band no matter where you from. Bought is on Amazon, living in the Netherlands.

pafrac

Mar 11, 2016
Visit site
So, I've got good news and bad news ... good news is that after escalating the issue I've now got a replacement Band 2 which is working nicely, but the whole kerfuffle meant I was without it for the best part of a month. This unit is slightly smaller than the old one so it's not at max tightness, hopefully that's also good news.

Bad news is my wife's Band 2 is now starting to show the same issue - a small crack has appeared in the rubber, right in the centre of the strap and just about exactly where mine split :eck: So far it hasn't got any larger, but we're keeping a close eye on it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99