Rubber strap splitting on Band2

coolbreeze78

Nov 11, 2004
Visit site
December purchase here. Split yesterday. Took into the Microsoft store today and they said immediately that they are letting customers return for a full refund. It's a major issue that they see every day. He said a replacement would do the same thing since there isnt a .2 revision. I took the offer. Got the full price and complete protection plan refunded on the spot. I'll miss it, but don't see the logic in getting another one that will eventually split. Sounds like a recall is in order.

So, just ask for a refund. They will do it, at least a Microsoft store will.

IamDefiler

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
December purchase here. Split yesterday. Took into the Microsoft store today and they said immediately that they are letting customers return for a full refund. It's a major issue that they see every day. He said a replacement would do the same thing since there isnt a .2 revision. I took the offer. Got the full price and complete protection plan refunded on the spot. I'll miss it, but don't see the logic in getting another one that will eventually split. Sounds like a recall is in order.

This is good info. Thanks! When my replacement Band 2 splits, I'll be getting that refund.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site

When you say refund, do you mean money restored to credit card? Or store credit? Mine was a gift, so that might make a difference for me.

I also really like my Band 2. But I have a feeling i'd be just as happy with a Band 1.

Larj VodkaRedbull

Jun 1, 2016
Visit site
Am aawiting second replacement via a big brown UPS van at the moment, been using it since december 2015 and two have split on me so far, am glad MS dont make condoms.
Bought mine via amazon, who didnt want to know after a month post purchase, any further issue and am likely to have an interesting time trying to gain a refund.

coolbreeze78

Nov 11, 2004
Visit site
When you say refund, do you mean money restored to credit card? Or store credit? Mine was a gift, so that might make a difference for me.

I also really like my Band 2. But I have a feeling i'd be just as happy with a Band 1.

Well, here's the deal. When I bought my Band 2 in December, I ordered a size small from Dell.com (some sale + coupon). It was too small, so I took it into the Microsoft store and asked if I could exchange for a medium. They wanted a receipt and I told them I didn't get it from the Microsoft store. After checking with the manager, they allowed the size swap since it was brand new. I did purchase Microsoft Complete (at the time of exchange) for the Medium, so they had my credit card info. This meant I now had a Microsoft store receipt because of the warranty purchase/size swap).

When I went in yesterday with the issue, I asked the guy if the return would work since my receipt was only for an exchange + Microsoft Complete ($39+tax). He said "let's run it and see." Sure enough, $250 went back to my card. So I kinda made money on the transaction, an unexpected surprise. The manager that helped me was all but steering me to just return it. His tone made it sound like they are getting droves of complaints, so I just bailed on the Band 2. Miss it, but don't want another one that will just break as well.

So I don't know how they would handle a true gift with no receipt, but it's worth trying. Worst case I'd imagine is they replace it. If they do, purchase the $39 complete, which will give you a receipt. If it breaks again, return it for a refund that will be processed to the card you used to buy the complete warranty. Worked for me anyhow. I wasn't trying to work the system - they seemed to be encouraging me to just return it, so I took the offer.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
So I don't know how they would handle a true gift with no receipt, but it's worth trying. Worst case I'd imagine is they replace it. If they do, purchase the $39 complete, which will give you a receipt. If it breaks again, return it for a refund that will be processed to the card you used to buy the complete warranty. Worked for me anyhow. I wasn't trying to work the system - they seemed to be encouraging me to just return it, so I took the offer.

Interesting. Well I did purchase complete on it a couple days after I received it as a gift. I actually got complete on it before I even took it out of the box because i'm that much of a square. So I do have the receipt.

I'll let you guys know how my experience goes. I'll probably take a trip to the store tomorrow.

Scott Pisciotta

Jun 2, 2016
Visit site
Curious on the size of the ones splitting. I Have the largest one and no issues. I wonder if it is your petite wrists?

Anyone try to armor All the band to get the shine back?

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Curious on the size of the ones splitting. I Have the largest one and no issues. I wonder if it is your petite wrists?

It's always interesting to me that people try to find a way to blame other people for a problem simply because they're not experiencing it themselves. If you're curious about the sizes that are splitting, you can read through out this whole thread of people having splitting issues with their various sizes. Everyone, from small to large, is experiencing Band splits. It's a product defect.

You might have more luck starting a different thread for this question.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Update:

I took my Band 2 in to the Microsoft Store. They replaced it without any questions or comments. Grabbed a new one off the shelf. They transferred the Microsoft Complete plan to the new Band.

Unfortunate that this defect exists, but i'm grateful for the quality customer service that the Microsoft Store consistently offers.

Larj VodkaRedbull

Jun 1, 2016
Visit site

Mine is large, fits my wrist withe a littel adjustment to spare.
Not sure if armour all contains anything that might weaken the band material over time, not sure that would be such a good idea given the issues being seen with material as is.

Da_Chemist

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
My December bought band can now also be added to the cracked list. It happened overnight. when I reached out to the helpdesk they were more than willing to replace it. When I asked about if I could expect the same thing happening again in a couple of months they told me that they made a modification to the process in February of this year which should eliminate this. Time will tell I guess. Have been an early adopter since band 1 and I really miss that thing around my wrist right now.....

IamDefiler

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Well, after seeing the Samsung Gear Fit 2, I could be selling my Band 2 and going that route. I need to see some real reviews but so far it seems to check all the boxes except for downloadable workouts, which it might do but hasn't been mentioned yet.

solarflere

Jun 3, 2016
Visit site
From NYC here, had a small tear on the side like most. Walked in to Microsoft store and they swapped it out for me, no issues. In fact they said its known problem and the guy before me had the same issue. My band had the screen protector on it, so when they swapped it, they gave me a brand new screen protector for it as well. Really nice of them. As long as it is with in 1 year warranty it wont be an issue. Just go into the MS store vs call in (if you have them) much easier and they swap them on the spot. And register the device with your MS account. Also the replaced device COMES WITH 1 YEAR WARRANTY AGAIN. So if it breaks again, ill just go into the store within a year and have it replaced again.

Eddie Mendoza

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
just went to my local san diego store and they would not replace it - already swapped it out twice before. They said I had to do it over the internet. Setup a free shipping label return option through microsoft support.. if this happens again I might just call it quits too even tho i like it

Dan Harris

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
Originally posted by Jonathan Barton
I've spoken with support and sent them photos of the damage, there is no evidence of any scuffing or deformation of the strap, but they have said it is not covered. So now its a ?133 to send it off and get a replacement. With and 8-10 day wait. Maybe I'll buy one from amazon and take the ?60 hit and get it tomorrow instead.

I'd say this should be covered under the warranty if there wasn't already any damage before it burst....As long as it didn't go over or below the max/min operating temperatures then it seems like it's not your fault at all and you should get a replacement.

Dan Harris

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
Originally posted by whitecm1
I've just reported the same problem and they are picking it up later today - has anyone has success getting it fixed under warranty in the UK? They tried to tell me straps are not covered...

I've got a Band 2 now, but I got my Band 1 replaced under warranty when the strap started to tear, the battery covers started to come off and all the black material inside the Band started to peel off.

Basically explained it's a widespread problem and obviously a defect in the product for it to last such a little time (About 9 months from UK release)

I was very careful with mine but it still happened - I think in the end the peeling was due to sun cream being applied and then putting the Band over, so I avoided doing that with my replacement.

The splitting was unacceptable to me on a device advertised for active users

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb