Rubber strap splitting on Band2

Michael Barbere

Dec 8, 2016
Visit site
I like the first Band so much but it started falling apart after a year (somewhat expected). I purchased the Band 2 on 8-16-2016 with the hopes that they resolved some of the durability issues of previous version. Unfortunately, I noticed it split in the common area documented in this thread but on both sides after I came back from a ski trip this weekend. I am wondering if the rubber has difficult in temperature/humidity changes as this is the first week where temps have fallen far below freezing and my lips are splitting as well. The split is where the metal components of the main housing meets the really flexy parts of the rubber.

See Attachment WIN_20161208_15_01_20_Pro.jpg

I did an online chat and referenced this thread. It appears that support is well rehearsed in the issue and are following a script. However, it also appears they are running out of stock of replacements. The tech mentioned that MS might be sending me a refund check instead of a replacement. I will provide a follow up when I receive an update from the warranty repair shop.

R S

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
My second band split last week in the same place as the first (and as reported on this thread). It is 11 months old and therefore still under warranty. I've been through the MS Band support wizard and cannot submit it like before. The end of the wizard is only now reporting 'There are no service offers associated with selected problem/accessory type.'

What to do?

nicktramontin

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
Use online customer support chat to request a warranty repair instead. I had to do this for my Band and my wife's after discovering the online process was no longer available. It worked exactly the same as before but this time initiated by a customer support representative rather than automatically. This time I had a battery issue with my Band 2 and my wife had the split band. We both got a prompt replacement brand new boxed band.

IamDefiler

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
My third band just started splitting and I'll be making a trip to the MS store this week to hopefully get a refund. I really like the Band and feel it's still the best option for me.

R S

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Thanks - I did that, and got an online chat with support person who booked the Band in for a repair and sent through the return labels. He did mention that they are running low on stock and may need to provide a refund in place of a repair.

nicktramontin

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
I'm hoping I can get a refund as well if I keep getting problems like this. I think I am on my 5th Band 2 now and my wife is on her 4th or 5th (I loose track). They are great in all other ways apart from the strap issues and occasional terminal battery issues (won't hold a charge or just goes completely dead). My Band comes out of warranty early next year but if I have more problems I guess I may have to speak to the online MS store in the UK where I got mine and my wife's Bands and see what they are willing to do as it just isn't fit for purpose if it breaks (and breaks in a way which is covered under warranty) every 3 months :(

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
So, I passed mine to my wife. It's a little over a year old. She uses it for fitness and working out. So today, the band split when she put it on.

Has there been any type of recall on these, or as it's just out of warranty, it's trash and replace type thing ?

IamDefiler

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
So, I passed mine to my wife. It's a little over a year old. She uses it for fitness and working out. So today, the band split when she put it on.

Has there been any type of recall on these, or as it's just out of warranty, it's trash and replace type thing ?

Since you've had it over a year, you're probably out of warranty but check online anyway. If you're still within your warranty period, take it to a MS store if you have one near by. They will replace it if they have one or, from what I've read here, refund or provide a store credit if not. If you don't have a MS store near by, contact MS support via chat and see about getting it sent back in and they may replace it or offer a refund. Again this is all depending if you are within your warranty period.

BTW, MS has stopped making the band.

Last edited:

Arsynic

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Are people sitting on these things? Mine is still going strong.

I guess I need to stop doing over-the-top stuff like fitness with my fitness tracker.

I guess in that case a class action suit is in order for advertising a device that wasn't meant for fitness...for fitness.

If MS just made the bad replaceable, that would be less of a hassle. This is why the device is discontinued. It's another RROD fiasco that's causing MS a bundle. The more they sell the more money they lose.

EyeoftheHawke

Jan 4, 2017
Visit site
Well here is a kicker. My wife and I both have Band2s and absolutely love them. I bought accidental damage on them for some reason, which proved to be blindly insightful. On mine the battery stopped charging and i sent it in for repair and it was replaced in about three days. Good job MSFT. But about a week later my wife's band split much like the ones I see in this thread. So I sent hers in for repair on 11/15/16. After almost 2 months with no word I finally got through to a rep (took 3 days) who confessed up to me that they stopped manufacturing and can use the current inventory for replacement on repairs. Apparently they now plan to just issue refunds for broken ones when there is no inventory for the replacement.

For a company that overall makes great products MSFT might have the worst marketing organization on the planet. They had the tablet years ahead of anyone else and could not effectively market it. They had the mobile phone years ahead of the smart phone and could not sell it. Finally they got the Surface right, but cannot yet extend the product line without damaging that brand because of issues like this.

A real mystery why such a great company continually fails at this aspect of their business.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Since you've had it over a year, you're probably out of warranty but check online anyway. If your still within your warranty period, take it to a MS store if you have one near by. They will replace it if they have one or, from what I've read here, refund or provide a store credit if not. If you don't have a MS store near by, contact MS support via chat and see about getting it sent back in and they may replace it or offer a refund. Again this is all depending if you are within your warranty period.

BTW, MS has stopped making the band.

So, let's say I am out of warranty 100%.... Can these be glued or a taped on them to hold them together so they continue working or is this just a trash and buy a new something else ?

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
So, figuring my Band 2 was out of warranty, got it for Xmas a year ago, I figured I'd call Microsoft and ask to see if it was still under warranty (with this band splitting issue), well to my SHOCK, it still has 3 days warrany on it...(ending 1/7/2017) and they gave me a return slip to ship it 2nd day back to them for repair/replacement.

I was told they swap them out and if they are not in stock, they will issue a refund. I put a message in the package that I would take a small or medium if they are available (I gave my Medium to my wife and a small would fit her better).

Did anyone get a "refund" on these ? They said they only refund the lowest price on them, I paid $200 for mine, if they dont have them in stock am I going to end up with a check for $75 ?

invisik

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Anyone take their cracked strap apart? I did that on mine and I'm trying to figure out of the small, flat ribbon cable can be replaced (this is the part that cracked on mine)... anyone have any knowledge of this type of little part?

Thanks...
-m

ajj3085

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
So, let's say I am out of warranty 100%.... Can these be glued or a taped on them to hold them together so they continue working or is this just a trash and buy a new something else ?

Mine's out of warranty too, and started to split. I wrapped it in electrical tape; hopefully that will hold it together.

Arsynic

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
That's bull**** to have to wrap your $250 accessory in electrical tape and "dealing with" a faulty product.

And I skipped the first Band just to avoid this issue with MS experimenting in new markets like a teenage girl in college and then abandoning it.

How can your second product be less reliable than the first??? Well, why do I ask. I did own an Xbox 360...or three of them.

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
Welcome to the band 2. I'm on replacement number 3 and gave up on it. First two split this one I almost didn't open but my son trasked the box.

I went back to my trusty six-year-old analog watch.

Sent from mTalk

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
How do these things split? I've had mine since before Christmas of 2015 and it's worn, but no cracking or splitting anywhere.

Sent from Alcatel Idol 4S with Windows via mTalk

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
That's bull**** to have to wrap your $250 accessory in electrical tape and "dealing with" a faulty product.

And I skipped the first Band just to avoid this issue with MS experimenting in new markets like a teenage girl in college and then abandoning it.

How can your second product be less reliable than the first??? Well, why do I ask. I did own an Xbox 360...or three of them.

Red Ring of Death.... sure Microsoft actually extended the warranties to 2 years because of this...still got bitten by it 4 times before I said screw it and picked up a brand new 250gb slim one...

Actually fixed my old white one 3 times and on the last time I gave up...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss