My band 2 is tearing

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I'd say it's an issue with the band... which is why the Band 2's from lots 1608+ have a thicker band. Some have said it even feels as though it's reinforced, but I haven't held one of the newer ones to verify.

luv2pbal

May 17, 2013
Visit site
I'd say it's an issue with the band... which is why the Band 2's from lots 1608+ have a thicker band. Some have said it even feels as though it's reinforced, but I haven't held one of the newer ones to verify.

The newer lot numbers do NOT have any different bands. They are the same as the ones under 1608 and are still tearing. I have had this happen with lot numbers 1621 and above

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Qtweeder

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
interesting to see the new and improved band is still shoddy in the build department, was wondering if i should get one after my band one fell apart in a month with the most careful use in the world, and was told not covered by warranty - wonder when MS hardware will actually not have strange quirks in?

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Maybe #3... possibly this Fall

I bought the extended warranty when I got my Band 2... Mainly because of bad experience with the Band 1 splitting around the battery... Anyhow, the band cracked back in March or April, So I exchanged it for another one. One thing I changed, which you shouldn't have to, was to stop wearing it while I sleep. On one hand you loose the feature of it tracking sleep, but on the bright side, it seems to be getting less wear and don't have to remember to charge it every other day.

WPTommy

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
I have had the exact same problem. Sent it off for repair and they sent it back with that letter. I questioned it and they asked me to describe the problem. I did. They asked me to describe the damage to the screen. I replied that there wasn't. They said that there was. There are "serious scratches" to the screen and metal which makes this device out of warranty.
I replied there is no damage to the screen. They disagreed and pointed out the damage. I couldn't see it. I looked really really close all around the band and then I found the tiniest of chips about 1/10th of a mm at the edge of the screen. Because of this they refuse to repair the rubber of the band. They gave me an address for the Microsoft legal department if I want to complain any further. :(

Matty

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
Quick update on Band 2 tear issue and the appointment with the MS Store.

They asked if it was less than 90 days since purchase and I said it was about 90 days, maybe a little over. It was probably 100 days since receipt.

They exchanged for a new band without issue.

They did offer the MS Complete coverage for $40 for 2 years. Sounded like a good deal since the band only lasted 90 days, so I purchased the coverage.

Great service from MS Store.

It seems as though this is a product defect. So probably nothing you have done. Hopefully it can be fixed with the Band 3? :p

motorsandwheels

Jun 10, 2016
Visit site
On third band, microsoft replaces withing the week at no charge if within 1 year of purchase. When filling out form select "other" as the issue with a description and there will be no charge.

Unicron109

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
If it's still under warranty and the wrist strap tearing is the only defect they will replace it. My father, brother, and and myself all have had to send Band 2's back for tearing on the wrist strap. However when my brothers 2nd band did it again they refused to fix it because of a Crack on the screen. My thoughts were what does a cracked screen have to do with a torn wrist strap. But that's major corporations for ya.

Eddie Mendoza

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
My new band seemed to be a lot better, the previous 3 were breaking within 2 months. Its been 4 months with my new one and bam just split in the same spot :-/

ajj3085

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Add me to the list. I also noticed today that the OTHER side has started splitting as well. This is my second band. A few months ago I had my original Band 2 replaced after the power would cut out randomly.

WP_20160823_09_38_11_Pro.jpg

Last edited:

Unicron109

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
I hope they don't use this material in the next Band and I'd like them to admit to the obvious problem and fix any with this issue.

Attachments

• 857.jpg
    857.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 5

treetownal

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm glad they're getting out of the band business, it was a garbage product with trash reliability and a premium price. It is astounding that people would even think of buying the next gen (which is not being made) after suffering through multiple returns, torn bands and headaches. The remaining MS device fans are certainly a loyal crew. I went through two band 2s in the course of 5 months, it isn't worth the effort, total trash.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster