Keyboard always connecting and Cortana doesn't work, what can I do?

drg

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Keyboard always connecting and Cortana doesn't work

There seems to be a couple posts here where people are having similar issues to me, but I can't work out if its the exact same and if I need to exchange my Band 2 or if it's a Windows 10 mobile issue.

I've had my Band 2 for 2 days. When I got it all was well. All functionality was fine. Then after a few hours when I went to respond to a message with the keyboard, it kept saying connecting and I couldn't use the keyboard. Cortana wouldn't work either and I would get a message saying to get closer to my phone.

I checked it out on the forums and noticed others having similar issues. I tried disabling Bluetooth, restarting phone and Band and even factory resetting Band but nothing worked. Reinstalling Health app did work though. Then everything was fine again but only for a few hours and the keyboard connecting issue came up again. This time though reconnecting Bluetooth did the trick. But every few hours it keeps happening and I need to either restart phone or restart band or reconnect Bluetooth or press Sync in Health app and one or a combination of those things gets it working again.

Its very frustrating though.

From what I've read its most likely an issue with Windows 10 mobile and bluetooth, but I want to know does anyone else have it this bad or should I be going to replace it?

I'm on latest .63 build on win 10 on Lumia 930.

Any feedback would be tops.

philxor

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Re: Keyboard always connecting and Cortana doesn't work

There is a long thread just below this one about the same issues. It does seem to be issues with Windows Phone 10. After updating my phone to .63 a couple weeks ago it all worked fine for a couple days, now it doesn't work again no matter what I try. The music controls always work but Cortana and text replies never do. I blame WP10, in all it's just a buggy mess to begin with so it's not surprising this doesn't work.

constantreader16

Jan 9, 2016
Visit site
I was having similar issues, no keyboard, but Cortana seemed to work. After installing the .71 insider today, I restarted my Band 2 and so far the keyboard has worked. Here's to hoping it stays that way!

drg

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Just installed .71 myself and can see an improvement in the speed it connects to the keyboard. Hopefully it stays connected and this issue is solved!

drg

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
How's yours going? Mine seemed to be going ok but just got the dreaded Connecting issues after a day. Funny it happened after todays Band update. I cant say it was fine before it though because didn't get to test it for long enough but I sure as hell hope this update didn't cause it.

Wiggles8012

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, I am pretty sure the Health app update/band firmware update broke the progress that the .71 preview build had made.

On Monday I updated my phone (950 XL) to .71 and that fixed the keyboard text reply and cortana voice prompts. Then on Tuesday I updated the Health app and Band 2 firmware and now I am getting sync issues (when manually syncing from the health app, it gets to about 80% then just hangs) and the keyboard/cortana are no longer working again. Also, it looks like the health app setting for turning off phone motion collection is broken (there is no way to turn it off).

I am going to guess that the band team didn't test this new firmware against the Windows 10 preview .71 build.

MirthRock

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
Just installed .71 myself and can see an improvement in the speed it connects to the keyboard. Hopefully it stays connected and this issue is solved!

Nope it doesn't. I had resolved my issue with a hard reset on both while I was on .63. I just updated to .71 yesterday as well as the latest update for Microsoft Health/Band 2. Guess what stopped working again for no reason? Yup...you guessed it. Cortana and the keyboard. Rebooted both. No difference. I am beyond frustrated with this piece of garba....errr Band. I love it when it works...which is just about never.

Last edited:

constantreader16

Jan 9, 2016
Visit site
Nope it doesn't. I had resolved my issue with a hard reset on both while I was on .63. I just updated to .71 yesterday as well as the latest update for Microsoft Health/Band 2. Guess what stopped working again for no reason? Yup...you guessed it. Cortana and the keyboard. Rebooted both. No difference. I am beyond frustrated with this piece of garba....errr Band. I love it when it works...which is just about never.

I don't quite have the same level of frustration as you do because I rarely ever use those features, but this is annoying. Mine was also fixed with the .71 build, but then broken again by the Band 2/Health app update.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720