Battery Issues:

peashooter14

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
Ok, my band just suffered the battery of death. Some notes: It was the first time I had let the battery drain 100%, and I recharged it over night, and it didn't take any charge. Also, it said that the band was updated? It would only work when plugged into the charger and charging off the wall. USB charger to a laptop hardly would power, and it did appear to be related to the clasp.

Anyone else notice that a full discharge killed their band?
Anyone else just get an update that killed it?
Any way to load firmware like phones on the Band?

indiW

Nov 20, 2015
Visit site
Food for thoughts to MS band team to comes out with some solution, possibly shutting it down before it goes down to 0%.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

TennisGuy45

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
Every now and then when I connect my band to the charger it wont recognize.

When that happens it takes 2-3 times of connecting/disconnecting it to the charger and then it will recognize.

So I've gotten in the habit of making sure the band acknowledges the charger before I set it down and walk away.

xFalk

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Loved my Band 2 but after 6 weeks it started getting the battery issue. I thought about a trade in but decided to just return it and wait for Band 3 where hopefully the battery issue will no longer be an issue.

xFalk

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Mine would go belly up if it got past 40%. Most of the time I missed the cut off and would have to go through the whole reset process to get going again.

driedl

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
I had the battery issue with my band after three months and I didn't notice any correlation with how charged the battery was. With mine at least it was pretty clearly a hardware issue caused by a broken connection between the screen portion of the band and the battery on the clasp. I could cause my band to shut down by twisting and manipulating the battery portion of the clasp. Based on the other posts I've read, I'm pretty sure that's what most of the others have experienced as well.

jsooney

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
My Band croaked today. I woke up and it was unresponsive to button presses so I plugged it in the charger. It said "welcome back, your battery died", or words to that effect. It was charged to 100% the previous day so I knew something was wrong. After setting the time and date I could scroll around and look at stuff but the buttons didn't work, and it doesn't charge.

If I twist the end that the charger plugs into it causes it to die and go back to the welcome back message after a few seconds, so it seems some connection is broken as mentioned earlier in the thread. I'm not sure what's up with the buttons doing nothing but I guess it's related. I'm going to take it back to the MS store tonight and see if I can get a refund. I bought the $39 extra warranty thing so I hope they will just take it back.

Last edited:

DenMag

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
So I'm wondering if there's a limited life on the batteries, maybe an early stock issue. Mine died on Monday, was one of the original pre-orders. Just saw a tweet from Paul Thurrott that he's now having the issue with his Band 2. Timing just seems odd. Taking to store tomorrow to swap out/replace.

dar981

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
So I'm wondering if there's a limited life on the batteries, maybe an early stock issue. Mine died on Monday, was one of the original pre-orders. Just saw a tweet from Paul Thurrott that he's now having the issue with his Band 2. Timing just seems odd. Taking to store tomorrow to swap out/replace.

Should be good for a replacement, keep everyone informed.

The back of the box clearly states the battery limitations, seems that the strap and battery are taking a beating ....

Nr1

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
This battery issue, where it dies then you plug in to charge, it comes on tells you to reset, then nothing. I'm on my fifth band. Thankfully Best Buy just replaces them with the receipt. I tried a Fitbit, I hated it. I love the way the Microsoft band 2 interfaces with the Microsoft products I own. Plus, I like the look better than other bands. Please, Microsoft, get it together, I love windows products, phones, bands, Xbox, and Xbox music. But Xbox music sucks now, I switched to Spotify. Please don't make me switch bands.

DeNachtwacht

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
This battery issue, where it dies then you plug in to charge, it comes on tells you to reset, then nothing. I'm on my fifth band.
Question: have you always used the same wall charger for all those 5 bands? I have sent back two MS Bands, both started with about 45 hours of battery but declined over time until i got only 20 hours or so. With the third, I also bought a new wall charger just to be sure, and I have not been in trouble with my new band until now. This one lasts about 36 hours (with watch rotate on and notification center) but is not declining until now.

I start to get the feeling that microsoft did something really stupid for themselves by not adding an AC wall charger in the Band package...

JGtz

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Question: have you always used the same wall charger for all those 5 bands? I have sent back two MS Bands, both started with about 45 hours of battery but declined over time until i got only 20 hours or so. With the third, I also bought a new wall charger just to be sure, and I have not been in trouble with my new band until now. This one lasts about 36 hours (with watch rotate on and notification center) but is not declining until now.

I start to get the feeling that microsoft did something really stupid for themselves by not adding an AC wall charger in the Band package...

What are the AC charger power output values on the charger you bought (Amperage, Voltage)? My band 2's battery is dying just like you report your first two died. My band 1's that I had for over a year didn't suffer from awful battery life. My apt. has built in USB outlets and they put out 2.1Amps and I think that may be the culprit since it's a bit over the Amperage that other chargers put out.

DeNachtwacht

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
Mine had 1.3, and my new one 2.4. The problem should not be the amperage but maybe your charger is broken. I think that could be a really good explanation for people with multiple defect bands. My 3rd band is on another charger and I did not have any problem with it until now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99