02-21-2016 10:19 AM
33 12
tools
    I'm in the market to replace a lost Fitbit Charge HR. The Band always intrigued me, and I always assumed that it would be the next watch I buy. I have a windows phone so my options aren't that many.

I'm seeing so many reports of the band tearing and batteries giving out. The Band 2 is still too new for Microsoft to abandon it, but it seems like support for these is very hit or miss. I'm 2 hours from the nearest Microsoft store so I'm mostly limited to online support.

Should I go with another Fitbit? Is there any other fitness tracker to consider?
    02-08-2016 09:21 AM
    Get one, its $50 off now, buy the $39 insurance. I love the email notifications, reminders, text alerts, clock, and Cortana integration will get better over time. I do use it for weightlifting tracking sessions, and seems pretty good. The sleep app is cool, but gimmicky, what would you really do with the data, it doesn't mean anything.
    02-08-2016 09:23 AM
    Can you get the insurance if you buy via amazon?
    02-08-2016 09:39 AM
    you can goto the microsoft store locally and get microsoft complete, make sure you get it, ive already used it twice, once for a band that wouldnt charge, and once for the splitting rubber on the band itself
    02-08-2016 09:50 AM
    Is this worth it on Android? I have a Note 5 and have been thinking about picking one up, especially at $199 today.

How much is MS complete?

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android
    02-08-2016 10:11 AM
    MS Complete on these is $39, and it seems like you either have to buy it from the online store, or have a local store to buy it from. I'm still really hesitant since it seems like these things are only lasting 2 months before they need a warranty replacement.
    02-08-2016 10:29 AM
    MS Complete on these is $39, and it seems like you either have to buy it from the online store, or have a local store to buy it from. I'm still really hesitant since it seems like these things are only lasting 2 months before they need a warranty replacement.
    I picked one up at the local MS kiosk today, along with complete. Anxious to set it up tonight.
    nausky likes this.
    02-08-2016 01:29 PM
    It's a decent device, the main question is durability. Like many others my first one died due to some bad connection in the strap, but if they've figured that out then it should be ok. I think it's important to realize it's a fitness tracker so it is intended to track fitness activities. I see some complaints from people saying it didn't track the 10 steps they took from the sofa to the fridge when they went to get another beer and a twinkie, but that's not what it's for. The only other thing is the HR monitoring is little flaky, but ok for what it is.
    02-08-2016 05:44 PM
    Is this worth it on Android?
    Jump in, the water's fine. It works well on Android. Certain features are only for Windows phones, but the features we have are as solid as any for the device.

My only concern at this point is durability. It sounds like someone got something wrong with a big batch. Hopefully they've figured it out and corrected it in later runs. If not, then you'll need to use the warranty.
    psurob55 likes this.
    02-08-2016 06:54 PM
    I went through 2 replacements of the Band 1 in the first two months I owned it, but I've not had any issues with my current Band 2 in that same amount of time. With all the added features, better comfort, and better durability, I don't regret my purchase at all.
    Bronislav Klofac and Argaron like this.
    02-09-2016 09:36 AM
    I went through 2 replacements of the Band 1 in the first two months I owned it, but I've not had any issues with my current Band 2 in that same amount of time. With all the added features, better comfort, and better durability, I don't regret my purchase at all.
    Thanks, i probably will give it a shot.
    02-09-2016 09:42 AM
    Have a look at the threads on the forum about the band splitting after a few months (I can't post links but there's 3 on the first page of the forum). It's a really nice device but has some serious quality issues
    02-09-2016 01:57 PM
    I assume from the thread title, the OP is asking if it's worth waiting a bit. While there may be quality issues, the warranty should cover it. So I don't see an advantage to waiting unless you're willing to wait until November when there might be a Band 3.
    nausky likes this.
    02-09-2016 02:39 PM
    I'm selling one in the Marketplace. :)
    02-09-2016 03:28 PM
    I assume from the thread title, the OP is asking if it's worth waiting a bit. While there may be quality issues, the warranty should cover it. So I don't see an advantage to waiting unless you're willing to wait until November when there might be a Band 3.
    Yes, thank you. I'm fully aware of the fact that they are giving trouble, but I wanted to know how people felt in spite of that. Seems like most are still really happy with the watch anyways. My concerns were also with dealing with Microsoft support. I do not have a local msft store, so I'm stuck dealing with the online support.

I'm selling one in the Marketplace. :)
    I checked out your thread but it's a large! I'm really between a small/medium, so I'll have to go with getting one from Microsoft since I may need to exchange it. Also need Complete! I'm not rocking enough cash to replace this thing outright every time I lay on the band and break it. :)
    Scienceguy Labs likes this.
    02-09-2016 03:51 PM
    Thanks for looking. :)
    02-09-2016 04:57 PM
    I'm also debating whether to jump on the Band 2 lottery merry-go-round. All the talk of battery problems and self-destructing isn't helping much.
    Cliff_W_R likes this.
    02-09-2016 11:50 PM
    I had the band in my cart and everything, but then I saw that poor guys posts from yesterday about how they sent his split band back (no doubt after being 2-3 weeks without it) and said the split wasn't covered under warranty. When we know they do cover it.

Idk, I'm fine with issues as long as they're dealt with accordingly. This sort of service with the bands is really unacceptable.
    02-10-2016 08:10 AM
    I'm also debating whether to jump on the Band 2 lottery merry-go-round. All the talk of battery problems and self-destructing isn't helping much.
    spend $39 for the extended warranty, and all is covered. Any issues bring to the store. The store guys are great. Don't trust the online chat idiots.
    02-10-2016 08:55 AM
    Kind of a cool feature, I was at XFit and we were in an instruction session, and my phone rang, very loud Kill Bill whistle...simply turned it off from my Band.
    02-10-2016 08:56 AM
    I've had mine since mid-December. I've had no problems, thankfully. (But, who knows how widespread the problems are. I'd guess websites have a bias toward people with problems).

The Band 2 is a hybrid of 1) a "smartphone," a la Apple watch, which connects you to your phone's calendar, email, text, whatsapp, etc. via a Bluetooth with the phone, and 2) a fitness/activity tracker which can function independently of the cell phone and includes heart rate monitor, GPS tracking, altimeter stair counter, and gym routine apps. Both have step counters, sleep trackers and such.

So, the Band 2 is an exceptional blend.

It's not perfect, eg altimeter is sometimes wacky, and high stress workouts are reported to sometimes give artificially high heart rate readings at the the beginning of a workout. But Microsoft has undated twice already and seems will continue to add features and fix problems. Bottom line: jump in.
    DroidUser42 likes this.
    02-10-2016 09:57 AM
    spend $39 for the extended warranty, and all is covered. Any issues bring to the store. The store guys are great. Don't trust the online chat idiots.
    An extra $39 to cover issues that shouldn't be happening and should be covered under warranty anyway? No thanks.

I'll still buy a Band 2, eventually. When they make a version that isn't a beta test.
    nausky, Teeceman and Cliff_W_R like this.
    02-10-2016 08:58 PM
    An extra $39 to cover issues that shouldn't be happening and should be covered under warranty anyway? No thanks.

I'll still buy a Band 2, eventually. When they make a version that isn't a beta test.
    It's worse than that. If they want to claim that the splits aren't covered and they want to use your complete, it's an additional $30 to get a replacement, hiking the cost up to $345 before tax for the guys who bought this full price.

And to have a chance to get this covered under warranty, hope you have a good MSFT store nearby or prepare for a road trip. Cause sending it in is 3 weeks without your Band for only a chance of getting a new one.

I'll confess, despite how frustrated I am with the experiences I've read about, I ordered one anyway. I refuse to buy complete though. It makes the device way too expensive for what it is. If mine breaks I'll just pick up another Fitbit which actually does boast reliability and customer service.
    Kram Sacul likes this.
    02-10-2016 09:10 PM
    I was also wondering about durability, I'm on my third or 4th Band 1, and it's now wrapped in electrical tape. I'm out of warranty now, I was looking at getting a Band 2 once this one dies.
    Durability --rubbery covering splitting, end of strap breaking off, etc has been absolutely terrible with Band 1.
    I was hoping Band 2 would be considerably better.
    I definitely love using the Band, and I would pay more for better quality.
    02-11-2016 02:42 PM
    Durability --rubbery covering splitting, end of strap breaking off, etc has been absolutely terrible with Band 1.
    The rubber on the battery doors go, but for the ends splitting off, I only remember a few incidents reported here. I could probably count them on one hand. It seems to be the Band 2 is having a bigger problem. Perhaps they sold a lot more, but I'm not betting on it.
    02-11-2016 06:08 PM
33 12