How durable is the Microsoft Band Really?

luxnws

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
These are first gen (original Band) and second gen (Band 2) products. I know my expectations for durability weren't high. I even used a toaster as comparison. ;) The strength of the Band/Band 2 is in the features, not the durability or comfort necessarily.

Also, Microsoft is new at making wearables so it would be unrealistic to expect the design and build quality to be as good as would be expected for companies which have been designing and manufacturing fitness wearables for years, even decades.

I think gen 3 is when Microsoft makes much more progress on that front. It really depends on the design though.

indiW

Nov 20, 2015
Visit site
I think this where my grumpiness come, if MS didn't have any imagination they should have at least looked at someone else's product, hire design advisors, do a competition online and get people to send design ideas,

I think wearables are here to stay, people like MS should take this more serious coz there are money making opportunities on the back of people like myself.

Elegance, practicality, features, different models, should be essential and design it such a way so... After one year people can chuck it out and get a new band.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

luxnws

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
I think this where my grumpiness come, if MS didn't have any imagination they should have at least looked at someone else's product, hire design advisors, do a competition online and get people to send design ideas,

I think wearables are here to stay, people like MS should take this more serious coz there are money making opportunities on the back of people like myself.

Elegance, practicality, features, different models, should be essential and design it such a way so... After one year people can chuck it out and get a new band.

Way too negative on Microsoft's aesthetics. A new fitness band put out by another company sort of-kind of looks like a Band clone and seems to be doing ok.

indiW

Nov 20, 2015
Visit site
Agree, B2 alone.. it's a fantastic device from technical point of view, in my opinion it's the App that puts it down.
Given MS resource base.. It should have come out with few different models.

Band, fitness, smart watch, means different things to different people, for example I use B2 purely for the purpose of fitness tracking, heart rate, GPS, calories, mean a lot to me.. Connection to fb, text messages, phone calls, absolutely useless to me. My gym time.. Is my time.. So I think ms should learn to cater for a wider audience.

dar981

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
These are first gen (original Band) and second gen (Band 2) products. I know my expectations for durability weren't high. I even used a toaster as comparison. ;) The strength of the Band/Band 2 is in the features, not the durability or comfort necessarily.

Also, Microsoft is new at making wearables so it would be unrealistic to expect the design and build quality to be as good as would be expected for companies which have been designing and manufacturing fitness wearables for years, even decades.

I think gen 3 is when Microsoft makes much more progress on that front. It really depends on the design though.

I disagree, statistically speaking, if your going put something together that is designed for a gym setting, you would expect it to be rugged under normal conditions. It is meant for every day fitness, including weight training. Considering the sheer amount of data MS has collected over the years, you would think they would think more more three dimensionally, I mean it really does contain a lot of data for the size of the band, it really is very useful, I love using it in the gym. Its durability is the primary problem. (at least for me).

I have compared many fitness bands for usability:

If you take pure fitness band like jawbone for example, its just a strap with sensors and nothing else. But it does crunch a lot of data, (far more rugged though), but you need your phone to make the best of it. The fitbit range I have looked at many times, but they do not appeal to me, I follow them but their latest models just look even worse than the previous generation, so ill skip those, they do not appear to even have gps. I have an android smartwatch, that is okay, but battery life is just 1 day. I have no interest in the apple smart watch as its simply overpriced for what I would consider good consumer value.

I picked the ms band 2 as it has all the best bits I really need at a reasonable price, just a shame the durability is so under fire...I think Generation 3 will be a lot more rugged..so Ill stay on this ship...

LarsCor

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Wearing the Band 2 for a few months now. Wear it daily, entire day, even sleep. Basically only take it off for charging. No slipping in the band itself (yet...), no scratches on the screen (and I wear it inside, on the hand I also use my mouse with at work! Just saying). Some permanent scratches on the band rubber. lot of scratches on the clasp, that really sucks.

indiW

Nov 20, 2015
Visit site
I am the first one to agree that almost all my posts relating to B2 sounds very negative. Because I have a very simple life philosophy, I hardly use "May be" or Might be, rather Yes or No.
B2, no argument it's a very good device, I have been using it purely as a fitness tracker since November 2015 and it is meeting my needs. Following the last update which fixed the steps count now it is really accurate.
If one use it with reasonable care, I am sure it will last at least closer to one year.
It's the health app that really puts the B2 down, if you compare it with Nike plus app, and few others you will see the gaps.
Thanks to B2, I am achieveing more fitness goals.

Teeceman

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site

Could not disagree more...
We should expect Microsoft to design and make exceptional products, they are not a start up or new to manufacturing. It is not unrealistic for Microsoft to take our money and gives us value for money, stand by their warranty and/or provide a product that can be robust enough to carryout the tasks it was design and made to do... The strength of the band/band 2 should be in its features, durability and comfort.

I would hope Microsoft did not design and build these devices to fail but to be a stepping stone to the next best iteration or evolution of the device.
So why should after less than a year I have a device with all the internal components and screen working, but it is absolutely useless because the strap has come away from the clasp?

rickhan

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm on my 3rd or 4th Band 1 (peeling, clasp breaking off). My last one has the plastic armor on it, including the batteries. It's lasting a lot longer (about 8 months now). It is splitting now. I use super glue and electrical tape to keep it functional.
I didn't buy Band 2 because it didn't look like they had addressed the durability issue at all. Hoping Band 3 will be much, much better and out before this one totally falls apart.
I would pay more for a really durable model.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm on my 3rd or 4th Band 1 (peeling, clasp breaking off). My last one has the plastic armor on it, including the batteries. It's lasting a lot longer (about 8 months now). It is splitting now. I use super glue and electrical tape to keep it functional.
I didn't buy Band 2 because it didn't look like they had addressed the durability issue at all. Hoping Band 3 will be much, much better and out before this one totally falls apart.
I would pay more for a really durable model.
Agreed.

I won't get another Band for now. They are not built to last beyond a year and the materials should not crack, peel and fall apart as quickly as they do. I can't afford to keep Band development teams employed if they can't seem to hire a better materials team. This is unacceptable.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Agreed.

I won't get another Band for now. They are not built to last beyond a year and the materials should not crack, peel and fall apart as quickly as they do. I can't afford to keep Band development teams employed if they can't seem to hire a better materials team. This is unacceptable.
Same statement I said about my last iPhone. Meanwhile, my band doesn't look new, but it still works.

Coxy100

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
Had my band 2 since mid-December.

My first one did sadly die mid Jan when it developed a screen fault. But I wore that one all day and all night, as I do with this replacement. I don't use a screen protector and the only damage I've got are the odd scuff marks on the rubber strap and 1 scratch on the clasp. So far it seems durable to me... if however the rubber strap starts falling apart then I won't use it at night and instead just use it when I go jogging. I love my Band though so hope it does turn out to be durable! I won't be buying another one if it doesn't last - ?170 is far too much money for something like this if it can't last.

infinidim

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
Wearing the Band 2 for a few months now. Wear it daily, entire day, even sleep. Basically only take it off for charging. No slipping in the band itself (yet...), no scratches on the screen (and I wear it inside, on the hand I also use my mouse with at work! Just saying). Some permanent scratches on the band rubber. lot of scratches on the clasp, that really sucks.

I have exactly the same issue as you - LarsCor - wear mine on the inside and has scratches on the band rubber as well as the clasp. I have also noticed that either side of the screen - the rubber is starting to wear away quite a lot.:cry:

Regards

Infinidim

Teeceman

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
I have exactly the same issue as you - LarsCor - wear mine on the inside and has scratches on the band rubber as well as the clasp. I have also noticed that either side of the screen - the rubber is starting to wear away quite a lot.:cry:

Regards

Infinidim
Unfortunately you'll soon be raising the inevitable support ticket to get a replacement before your warranty runs out and the bad starts to wear. I found that once the split appeared it didn't take too long before it got worse.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Same statement I said about my last iPhone. Meanwhile, my band doesn't look new, but it still works.
The one I posted a picture of still works...and I miss not wearing it. But it looks too ratty for the office so I leave it on the charger at home. I'm rocking Withings and for what I need it for, its getting it done.

Teeceman

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
The one I posted a picture of still works...and I miss not wearing it. But it looks too ratty for the office so I leave it on the charger at home. I'm rocking Withings and for what I need it for, its getting it done.

That's the frustrating thing, as my band with the broken clasp still works too but is now useless because it can't be worn.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
That's the frustrating thing, as my band with the broken clasp still works too but is now useless because it can't be worn.
My hope is for Band 3, if MS intends to keep this current crop of developers around, is to have replaceable wrist straps. The Bands simply DO NOT LAST longer than 6 months on average. I can't walk into a MS store and whip out 200 bucks every 6 months. I still have a Fitbit and a Jawbone that are a couple years old and still look good...and they still work.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnwilliam9750