Band 2 Competition - Garmin Vivoactive HR

driedl

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
It appears Garmin is making a serious play for the same customer segment as the Band 2. https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/wearabletech/wearables/vivoactive-hr/prod538374.html
Their just-announced Vivoactive HR retails for the same price as the Band 2, matches key specs including GPS, 24/7 optical HR and smart notifications but adds the exercise features many of us have been asking for. It can be used with a chest strap and bike telemetry devices, is water-resistant to 5 atm, tracks swimming and paddling/rowing activities and claims 8 day battery life (or 13 hours of GPS).
I came to the Band 1 from a Garmin Vivosmart and, while I've been very happy with my Bands, I can't help but notice that my Vivosmart (which was passed on to my wife) is still going strong after three years while I've gone through three Band 1s and two Band 2s in less than half that time.
As an Android user who already doesn't benefit from the Cortana voice features or the Band keyboard, I'll be giving the Garmin a try. If it ends up being my preferred device I know I'll miss the Band's guided workouts but otherwise it looks like Microsoft has some catching up to do.

luxnws

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
Wearables at $249 are getting better and better. The Garmin Vivoactive HR is expected to have up to eight days of battery life (if you don't enable GPS during that time?). It can also be used with an external heart rate monitor. Finally you can swim with it.

The Fitbit Blaze is expected to have up to five days of battery life with more smartwatch features and displays added.

So it is getting really competitive at the $249 price point for fitness bands. Once the new Garmins and Fitbits are in circulation, I bet Microsoft permanently drops the price of the Band 2 to $199 or even lower. I wonder what improvements a Band 3 will have?

DeNachtwacht

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
This is definately a competitive device. And let's be clear Garmin has a lot of experience building GPS sports tracking watches, so not a very big suprise that they build such decent watches. A tough competitor for Microsoft, which is only an advantage for the consumer in the long run I think.

Teeceman

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
It appears Garmin is making a serious play for the same customer segment as the Band 2. https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/wearabletech/wearables/vivoactive-hr/prod538374.html
Their just-announced Vivoactive HR retails for the same price as the Band 2, matches key specs including GPS, 24/7 optical HR and smart notifications but adds the exercise features many of us have been asking for. It can be used with a chest strap and bike telemetry devices, is water-resistant to 5 atm, tracks swimming and paddling/rowing activities and claims 8 day battery life (or 13 hours of GPS).
I came to the Band 1 from a Garmin Vivosmart and, while I've been very happy with my Bands, I can't help but notice that my Vivosmart (which was passed on to my wife) is still going strong after three years while I've gone through three Band 1s and two Band 2s in less than half that time.
As an Android user who already doesn't benefit from the Cortana voice features or the Band keyboard, I'll be giving the Garmin a try. If it ends up being my preferred device I know I'll miss the Band's guided workouts but otherwise it looks like Microsoft has some catching up to do.

Now this is what the Microsoft Band 2 should have been out of the gate, I hope this device does live up to expectations because an owner should be able to reuse a device like this after a number of years if they want too just like you and your wife have with the Vivosmart and not just have to toss it in the trash after a year.
I certainly can see myself springing for one of these so I hope the app and web experience is good as well.

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I agree, the new Garmin is a heck of a competitor. And a permanent price reduction to $199 for Band 2 is likely. The team working on the Band 3 might be concerned.

The one area it might fall short is in notifications & smart watch functions. I didn't see too many screenshots in that area. But on the fitness side, it looks like a very stiff competitor. Of course, the real question is how accurate is it's measurements? Especially HR.

luxnws

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
I agree, the new Garmin is a heck of a competitor. And a permanent price reduction to $199 for Band 2 is likely. The team working on the Band 3 might be concerned.

The one area it might fall short is in notifications & smart watch functions. I didn't see too many screenshots in that area. But on the fitness side, it looks like a very stiff competitor. Of course, the real question is how accurate is it's measurements? Especially HR.

The Vivoactive HR specs include ANT+ connectivity so people whose anatomy don't allow for accurate wrist-based HR counts MIGHT be able to use or double check their HR with a chest strap.

Caveat: the specs don't explicitly say that it will support external HR monitoring but the Vivoactive does so why wouldn't Garmin also enable the HR version to use one, right?

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/prod538374.html

Last edited:

Dikant

Feb 8, 2016
Visit site
My decision for MS band 2 was because it has golf application and other sport tracker doesnt has . But it doesnt support any golf course in my country yet....
After few months they dont support many courses. I think that its no big problem add new maps to app...

Golffers will decide for garmin. It support 40k courses now.

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
Caveat: the specs don't explicitly say that it will support external HR monitoring but the Vivoactive does so why wouldn't Garmin also enable the HR version to use one, right?
The chest strap is listed as an accessory. More importantly, the vivoactive HR is listed as a compatible device for the chest strap. I don't think they're making a deal out of it - to do so would be to expose the wrist-based HR as inaccurate.

I gotta say, Garmin looks like they've got a heck of a ecosystem going. Any shortcomings can probably be fixed in a software update. Many of MS's shortcomings are in the hardware.

Oh, man! They have a "find my phone" function. <sigh>

One downside - it's pretty big. 30.2 mm x 57.0 mm x 11.4 mm.

luxnws

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
The chest strap is listed as an accessory. More importantly, the vivoactive HR is listed as a compatible device for the chest strap. I don't think they're making a deal out of it - to do so would be to expose the wrist-based HR as inaccurate.

I gotta say, Garmin looks like they've got a heck of a ecosystem going. Any shortcomings can probably be fixed in a software update. Many of MS's shortcomings are in the hardware.

Oh, man! They have a "find my phone" function. <sigh>

One downside - it's pretty big. 30.2 mm x 57.0 mm x 11.4 mm.

Nice catch on the chest strap.

Yeah, it is big. Eight day battery life and all the new features probably needs a big case. As usual, anticipating comments based on real time use. Late spring release? Funny that Amazon has the vivoactive HR marked as "Temporarily out of stock."

Brian McMahon

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
What interests me the most about this is the bike speed and cadence sensor, I swop bikes about which is why the Band 2 is so good just select the bike I used on Strava later but this looks more appealing. Hasn't been tested yet with the 950 xl but hopefully shouldn't be an issue.

Babs75

Oct 11, 2015
Visit site
I was just reading about the new Vivoactive HR and I'm definitely going to keep my eye on this one. I am not a band owner but had intended to purchase one as a Christmas gift for myself. Given all the issues I see people are having, I have held off buying one but might go a different direction.

Brian McMahon

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
I was just reading about the new Vivoactive HR and I'm definitely going to keep my eye on this one. I am not a band owner but had intended to purchase one as a Christmas gift for myself. Given all the issues I see people are having, I have held off buying one but might go a different direction.

I hate to say it but probably a wise move, after today's MS health update my 950xl has exhausted it's battery twice and the band is giving me notifications from the phone and then about a minute later i get the email notification coming through for the same thing. I love the band's functionality but I've had to uninstall MS health again as it just isn't working. I haven't had Cortana working since last update from the band so who knows when it's going to get better.

Funny enough the band works better on my S6 edge than the 950 xl and that's something i didn't think i would ever say.

luxnws

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
The Garmin vivoactive HR regular fit is #9 on Amazon's best seller running GPS units list at the moment and this only represents pre-orders. Some people always want to be first in line. :grin:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestseller...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU3419248

#1 Fitbit Surge
#2 Garmin Forerunner 235
#3 Garmin Vivosmart HR regular
#4 Fitbit Surge large

#12 Microsoft Band 2 small
#16 Microsoft Band 2 medium

Why did the Band 2 fall so far on the best seller list?

The Fitbit Blaze isn't on the list yet. They may not be taking pre-orders yet. It'll cost $199 so add another competitor by late spring, early summer.

indiW

Nov 20, 2015
Visit site
I think this is where MS lost its imagination, they knew they were walking onto an already crowded wearable market.. So in such circumstances they should have been more creative, and diverse.

It was only a week or two ago MS thought about social share directly from the app..

Up to now I am waiting to see battery percentage on my band, android widget, much sleek app, I find these facilities should have been there with the band from beginning...

I have no business experience however I feel having to do catch up on a fast moving market is.... Almost asking for troubles.. Examples Nokia and Kodak

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I'm guessing that a "band" has a hard time commanding the same price as a "watch". Plus Apple lowered the starting price of their watch to $299. I'm pretty sure that the current price of $175 for the Band 2 is fairly permanent.

And since FitBit broke with the "Band" format and seems to be doing well, I wonder if "Band 3" will really be a watch?

luxnws

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm guessing that a "band" has a hard time commanding the same price as a "watch". Plus Apple lowered the starting price of their watch to $299. I'm pretty sure that the current price of $175 for the Band 2 is fairly permanent.

And since FitBit broke with the "Band" format and seems to be doing well, I wonder if "Band 3" will really be a watch?

I have no clue about Band 3. I wonder if they will time it for Microsoft's anticipated new hardware launch for Surface line that some are saying will be early next year. Bands might be losing the novelty and uniqueness factor. The Fitbits of the world seem to be broadening their audience now going smartwatch-y. Apple still sets the pace there even though Android smartwatches were there first. Grow or die, right?

evdel

Dec 12, 2015
Visit site
Well, the Band is a sleek design and the bulky Garmin is no competition on that track.
Missing some stuff, like the UV meter and the "smart" part is not on par. So at least for me it's no contest.
The only good part is waterproof and 8 days battery. But the bulky design is a trade off i do not like.

jkrudder

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
My Band 2 was starting to exhibit similar symptoms as other users have posted and did ultimately die. I unfortunately had a bike crash and cracked my screen a little which voided the warranty despite the fact that the band was failing beforehand. I went back and forth with MS for a month and they refused to do anything. As a long time supporter of MS and their products, I was very put off at the half hearted attempt to help and the poorly written emails (obviously from an overseas support desk). I've since left whole MS ecosystem of hardware (3 phones and the Band 2) in favor of an iPhone (begrudingly) and the upcoming Garmin Vivoactive HR which does everything the Band 2 does, but is waterproof. Very dissappointing MS!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers