Microsoft Health App(Android) steps don't match reading on band 2

Ray Lowe

Mar 9, 2016
Visit site
I went for a walk today and when I returned my band 2 said I had walked 5754 steps 3.92 km, 1031 cal, 9 floors, I started the Microsoft Health app on my phone and right away it wanted to do an update so I did. After the update finished I opened the app and my steps displayed were 9605, 1185 cal, 3.92km, 9 floors. I've restarted both the app and the watch and re-sync the app but still get the discrepancy so I'm not sure what gives. Everything matches except the steps and calories, any ideas?

indiW

Nov 20, 2015
Visit site
Well well well.. After reading your post, I just checked my android app and B2 (both synchronised 1min ago)
Step count on app 6989 and B2 says 6882.

Not a very big gap yet strange.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
If the phone is reading low, I'd suspect it's due to an old sync.

But if the phone is high, then I'd suspect the option to record steps via phone is adding to the total. It's only supposed to be for when you have the phone, but are not wearing the band, but I'm not real confident on the logic performing correctly and never double-counting steps.

If you're like me and rarely carry your phone when you're not wearing your band, you might want to turn off that feature. It's in the Health app > Menu > My Phone.

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
In your Health app, do you have the motion settings under My Phone enabled? This is designed to "fill in the gaps" when you aren't wearing your Band but still have the phone with you. I think the end result is that sometimes the phone will still add additional steps while you are wearing the Band.

This could happen, for instance, if you were carrying something and your arm movement was limited. Those steps might not all register correctly, but the phone in your pocket would continue counting steps as usual.

My phone has not currently added any additional steps to today's count, but I have noticed this in the past. Obvious examples are when I accidentally left my Band on the charger at home while I was at work a few days ago, or last week when my Band died while I went for a 6 mile run with my phone strapped to my arm.

In normal usage, though, there is usually anywhere between a 0 and 5% variance between the Health app and my Band.

Last edited:

Ray Lowe

Mar 9, 2016
Visit site
Thanks DroidUser42 and poit57 that could be the problem, I checked the settings and it was on. I didn't turn it on myself but maybe when it did the update it somehow got turned on. I guess I'll how it goes now that I have it turned off. Thanks again for your responses.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss