Exercise session metrics have moved?

Wongsky

May 1, 2016
Visit site
The past few times I've use my MS Band to record workouts the priority of the metrics have changed on the display (on the band itself).

The elapsed time used to be biggest and central, and heart-rate and calories were smaller and at the top. Now calories is biggest and central, and elapsed time and heart-rate are smaller and at the top of the display.

I can't seem to find either info, or from playing around can't seem to change this back to how it was. Can anybody tell me how to alter this?

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
My first thought is an update to the Band changed the layout.

Which exercise are you wanting to customize?

Wongsky

May 1, 2016
Visit site
My first thought is an update to the Band changed the layout.

Which exercise are you wanting to customize?
It's the original Band so hasn't had a firmware update since the July release in 2015.

It's not that I want to customise anything - the basic exercise tile is what I use for most of my exercise sessions, and the display of that, during, has changed in the last few days. I just want it back as was.

Normally you have three things on screen, originally it was: time / duration the largest metric in the middle of the screen, and calories and heart-rate at the top in a smaller font. Now it's showing calories in the middle of the screen in the biggest font, and duration and heart-rate in smaller font at the top.

I can't work out how to configure or change that, for the normal exercise tile - but more than that, I'm wondering why it's suddenly changed?

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I understand what you're referring to. And yes, you are wanting customize the exercise tile. Some tiles, like the run and bike tile, allow you to change the layout of the metrics. Unfortunately it has been months since I had a Band 1, but in my Health app, the exercise tile is not customizable.

Have you tried opening the Health app on your phone > Hamburger menu in top left corner > manage tiles > touch on "exercise" and see if it is editable there?

Wongsky

May 1, 2016
Visit site
Yes, I understand what you're referring to. And yes, you are wanting customize the exercise tile. Some tiles, like the run and bike tile, allow you to change the layout of the metrics. Unfortunately it has been months since I had a Band 1, but in my Health app, the exercise tile is not customizable.
It's not customisable on mine, either.

And even if it were - why would this suddenly change layout? Randomness troubles me where technology is concerned.

Have you tried opening the Health app on your phone > Hamburger menu in top left corner > manage tiles > touch on "exercise" and see if it is editable there?

Yes I have tried, and no it's not editable.

And although this is my 2nd v1 Band (warranty replacement) I've had this one since last November, and both this one, and the original before it, always displayed exercise sessions as previously described, so <deity> knows what's suddenly happened to make this change, but not in any obvious way it can be reset to what it was / should be.

Wongsky

May 1, 2016
Visit site
A factory reset cured it.

But there is an easier way. Whilst in exercise mode, quick double-tapping the action button has the display cycling through the 3 different ways / priorities it can display the metrics.

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
That's odd. I could have sworn that it was possible to change the exercise layout (the tile with the barbell). It's easy to see how to change it for other activities. Health app on your phone > Hamburger menu in top left corner > manage tiles. Tap a tile with the "pencil" (such as Run) and you'll be taken to a screen where you can set the display "priorities". Display #1 is the largest.

Understandably some of the measurements used in "run" doesn't apply in "exercise", but I'd still think you'd be able to set the priority.

Wongsky

May 1, 2016
Visit site
That's odd. I could have sworn that it was possible to change the exercise layout (the tile with the barbell). It's easy to see how to change it for other activities. Health app on your phone > Hamburger menu in top left corner > manage tiles. Tap a tile with the "pencil" (such as Run) and you'll be taken to a screen where you can set the display "priorities". Display #1 is the largest.

Understandably some of the measurements used in "run" doesn't apply in "exercise", but I'd still think you'd be able to set the priority.
Whether or not that's what you believed, you can't.

The only way is to double tap the action button whilst actually using the general exercise tile.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss