Numbered badge on MS Health Live Tile

kdk24z

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
Hmm, I came here to check and see what anyone else has said about this and I read your post and just checked my L925 W8.1 and the "5" that was showing on my live tile also seems to have "magically" disappeared. Oh well, it is a strange and magnificent universe we live in, so who am I to question? :)

evillama

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
the MS Health live tile is not working after the AU and the # 5 also disappeared,unlocked 950 XL DS running anniversary update, non insider

Ah that's right...just noticed that the PC tile isn't working anymore, but the phone tile is still updating OK with the numbers now gone.

Maybe that's what it was - a number flag (for programming) indicating how many stats need to transfer from the phone tile to the PC tile...?

Anyhoo, glad the number is gone for now until its true usefulness is explained.

kdk24z

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
Ever since the number disappeared from my live tile, the app on my L925 8.1 crashes when I tap on the "sleep" section to see how my quality of sleep was. That sleep section also is stuck being a lighter shade of blue all the time now. Tap on it and crash.

evillama

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
That "sleep-tile-crashing" was happening to me a few months back (before the live tile number started showing up.)

I just uninstalled MS Health and reinstalled it and everything started working fine. Hate having to do that though...

evillama

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Ugh...scratch that...I just got the AU last night (950 on AT&T) and the Health tile is now solid blue (not even transparent). Also my mail tile isn't showing numbers anymore either?

uselessrobot

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I finally got the W10 update at the beginning of the week. The numbers on the Health tile are gone, but now the live tile doesn't work and it won't go transparent regardless of settings.

It's always 1 step forward and 2 steps back with Microsoft, isn't it?

evillama

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
The fact that these seemingly obvious problems weren't caught by the "Fast Ring" or "Slow Ring" insiders means that either 1) There aren't enough insiders signed-up to report bugs, 2) There are enough of them, but they just aren't reporting these problems back to MS, or 3) There are plenty of them, they are reporting these bugs but MS isn't listening to them or fixing them before final production.

How does something like the Health tile not showing status or even stop being transparent not get reported by insiders?

uselessrobot

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
The fact that these seemingly obvious problems weren't caught by the "Fast Ring" or "Slow Ring" insiders means that either 1) There aren't enough insiders signed-up to report bugs, 2) There are enough of them, but they just aren't reporting these problems back to MS, or 3) There are plenty of them, they are reporting these bugs but MS isn't listening to them or fixing them before final production.

This feels an awful lot like what I experience at work. Our developers are outsourced. They were left to their own devices on much of the development for our platform. So we're stuck with this unwieldy mess that is difficult to patch and too complicated to efficiently update.

Not having any other option, we forge ahead with what we've got. So at regular intervals we're sent updates. Those updates supposedly go through a QA process before we receive anything. However, given the oversights it's hard to know what they're testing. Every single time the local QA team finds glaring issues and previously identified bugs that haven't yet been fixed. Worse still, every so often something that had previously been fixed gets broken.

So the end result is that there's a permanent pile of issues and only the more serious stuff gets the attention. The details, the things that add polish and enhance overall presentation never get touched. My focus is UX, and I usually see usability related problems persist for multiple dev cycles, if they ever get fixed at all.

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site

When I spent about the last two months on the Fast Ring with my Lumia 640 XL, I didn't even realize that there was an issue with the tile not being transparent. It's in a folder on my start screen for easy access, but it didn't noticeably change the overall aesthetic of my start screen. I didn't remember that it had been transparent on the 10586.x builds.

I was aware that the live tile was no longer functioning, but it wasn't a concern for me because the only bit of information I ever found useful was the battery level displayed as a percentage. After spending the last week before the anniversary update on a brand new lumia 950 without the Insider preview builds, I didn't notice the battery level ever being displayed on the live tile. Is that even one of the features of the live tile anymore?

I don't currently have any devices enrolled in the Insider program. I will offer feedback when I notice an issue, but only after I'm certain an issue exists. I started this thread about the number badge on the live tile because I was curious whether I'd missed something and to see if another user might have any insight into what the number meant. I didn't immediately report it as feedback because I had no idea whether it was a new feature of the Health app or if it was a programming glitch, which it was later discovered to be.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6