What to buy when my 2nd Band 2 fails...

Tonio78

Apr 1, 2015
Visit site
Hello there,

The question is in the title...

I loved a lot my Band 1 and am mad about the 2. I'm on my second as the first tore and wouldn't start anymore. Although I'm really careful, I'm afraid this will happen again. Surely MS won't change it again so what to do if I have to change ?

Thanks for your input,

Ton

buffalosolja

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I was about to post something similar, the message I saw the other day was confusing. Did that mean if it fails we can't send it back in? I would like to know this as well as I will need to start researching as I have been through quite a few.

Nate Silver

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
I've been wearing a Charge 2 for the last week or so. Its not the Band,but it seems pretty decent. My only real gripe so far is that its giving me insanely high step counts, typically 5 to 6 thousand over what I feel it should be (based on what my Band gave me, and my Fenix 3 HR). Other than that, the fact that its really only fully featured on Android or IOS. Windows mobile won't support notifications with it, nor will it connect to the phone's GPS for mapped runs/rides on WM. But its comparing very well with the F3HR for workout stats like HR, pace, calories, and distance.

Unfortunately, there just isn't anything out there that compares to the Band for Windows Mobile. Garmin's devices come the closest (and in fact exceed the Band), but there are problems with notifications and syncing there as well.

anon(5327127)

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I honestly think that you'd be better off with another make. I have a Band 2, after also owning a Band 1, next to me now that's still working. I can 'see' how someone can break it, especially the strap location, so I treat it with respect and look after it. No issues.

As you're on your second failure I'd look towards another brand.

Tonio78

Apr 1, 2015
Visit site
I honestly think that you'd be better off with another make. I have a Band 2, after also owning a Band 1, next to me now that's still working. I can 'see' how someone can break it, especially the strap location, so I treat it with respect and look after it. No issues.

As you're on your second failure I'd look towards another brand.

That's exactly my question... I won't be able to buy another Band 2 as MS skipped it.

Obviously I'd have to buy another brand but what other brand and what model offers what the Band 2 offers...

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
The sucky part is there is nothing like the Band 2 on the market with the same set of features for the same price. It's a shame that Microsoft couldn't market it like companies like Fitbit do. You can find a Fitbit plastered everywhere and it costs almost the same with 1/5 of the features.

littlebib

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
That's exactly my question... I won't be able to buy another Band 2 as MS skipped it.

Obviously I'd have to buy another brand but what other brand and what model offers what the Band 2 offers...

I've done a few quick searches, and the closest I can seem to find is Garmin's Vivoactive HR. From the pictures though, it looks a lot like the original Band but twice the size. Maybe it's a lot more comfortable than it looks...

I'm not really an Apple fan, but I do use an iPhone. Honestly, between the Garmin and the Watch...it's a tough call (except for the price). But, the Apple does look a lot nicer and certainly looks to be more comfortable.

ATAcapt

Nov 20, 2015
Visit site
I have done some searching for a replacement should my Band 2 fail and the only one that seems to come close is the Garmin Vivosmart HR+. It does not have all the features of the Band 2 but more than any other fitness band I can find. I want a fitness band that tells time not a smart watch that attemps to track fitness. I have had the Band 1 and Band 2 since they were introduced and will really miss it.

Pryxus

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
For me the Samsung Gear Fit 2 has everything I need.
What are all these Band 2's sensors good for when they are poorly supported by the software.

Plus the Gear Fit 2 has repleacable wristbands!

Tonio78

Apr 1, 2015
Visit site
I have done some searching for a replacement should my Band 2 fail and the only one that seems to come close is the Garmin Vivosmart HR+. It does not have all the features of the Band 2 but more than any other fitness band I can find. I want a fitness band that tells time not a smart watch that attemps to track fitness. I have had the Band 1 and Band 2 since they were introduced and will really miss it.
Thanks for the tip. Had a look and seems very promising

bksalt

Nov 27, 2014
Visit site
I have loved my band1 and band2 but recently gone with the Samsung Gear s2 its a slight bit better than the Band2 but a bit low on steps every thing else is extremely accurate I am very happy with it.

Nate Silver

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
I have loved my band1 and band2 but recently gone with the Samsung Gear s2 its a slight bit better than the Band2 but a bit low on steps every thing else is extremely accurate I am very happy with it.

I tried one when they first came out. Loved the screen, but was annoyed that there was no way to disable automatic activity tracking. Every time I mowed the lawn (push mower) it would track it as cycling. As a cyclist, that really messes with your stats! Also had trouble with the strap coming unfastened, but did manage to get a 'band-keeper' type device to solve that, but it was fiddly.

Edit: whoops, sorry. I just noticed you said S2. I tried the Fit2.

buzzard75

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
I have a Band 1 and I like the style because I have a fairly thin wrist. That being said, I miss wearing my watch that actually looks like a watch. I had a beautiful skeleton watch, but quit wearing it when I got my Band 1. Right now I'm leaning towards a Garmin Fenix 3 HR or a Tactix Bravo. Just trying to decide what features I really need. I would like a heart rate monitor in the watch, but I don't know as if I really need it since I don't currently exercise, but I know it gets tracked during sleep. As I said before, I have a fairly thin wrist and am not sure how good a huge watch like the Fenix or the Tactix would look on my wrist as they seem to be monster watches.

I also wasn't sure how well they would work with Windows 10. I sent an email off to Garmin to ask, since they haven't updated their compatibility list for Windows in a while, and they responded:

"For most smartphones, as long as it has the Garmin Connect Mobile app installed and is Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) version 4.0 capable, it will work with the fenix watches."

So take that with a grain of salt.

Nate Silver

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
I have a Band 1 and I like the style because I have a fairly thin wrist. That being said, I miss wearing my watch that actually looks like a watch. I had a beautiful skeleton watch, but quit wearing it when I got my Band 1. Right now I'm leaning towards a Garmin Fenix 3 HR or a Tactix Bravo. Just trying to decide what features I really need. I would like a heart rate monitor in the watch, but I don't know as if I really need it since I don't currently exercise, but I know it gets tracked during sleep. As I said before, I have a fairly thin wrist and am not sure how good a huge watch like the Fenix or the Tactix would look on my wrist as they seem to be monster watches.

I also wasn't sure how well they would work with Windows 10. I sent an email off to Garmin to ask, since they haven't updated their compatibility list for Windows in a while, and they responded:

"For most smartphones, as long as it has the Garmin Connect Mobile app installed and is Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) version 4.0 capable, it will work with the fenix watches."

Yeah, regarding Garmin devices (specifically F3HR in my case), more like a teaspoon of salt. It works, but syncing is flaky. Sometimes takes 2 or 3 tries to get it to sync, occasionally with a large activity like a two hour bike ride or something, I have to resort to wi-fi sync. Notifications work, sort of. You might get the notification right away, or it might be 10 minutes later, or you might not get it at all.

I think the F3HR is a great watch, loaded with fitness features. Quite a lot of overkill if you don't exercise, but that's up to you. It is a nice looking device.

marchius

Mar 11, 2016
Visit site

I am also in same situation... Would like to have a watch on my thin wrist... Went to shop and F3HR was way too big for my wrist... One more very good choice would have been Garmin Vivoactive HR. But also too big on my wrist.
And Forruner 735XT was ok and looked quite well. The only downside (from my point of view) that 735 does not have barometer and so does not track mountain skiing and also is made from plastic and not sure how it will keep up with scratches... But otherwise it is very light and tracks everything as F3HR (except this barometer thing)...

buzzard75

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, regarding Garmin devices (specifically F3HR in my case), more like a teaspoon of salt. It works, but syncing is flaky. Sometimes takes 2 or 3 tries to get it to sync, occasionally with a large activity like a two hour bike ride or something, I have to resort to wi-fi sync. Notifications work, sort of. You might get the notification right away, or it might be 10 minutes later, or you might not get it at all.

I think the F3HR is a great watch, loaded with fitness features. Quite a lot of overkill if you don't exercise, but that's up to you. It is a nice looking device.

I know I need to get more exercise and I want to, but I'm somewhat limited. I've never been a weight guy. I walk when I can, but I can't take much impact so running is out. I have bad knees and a bunch of scar tissue in both my shoulders. I tried swimming, but it's actually painful for my shoulders. To top it off, I took a 20' tumble from the top of an airplane (it was on the ground) about 10 years ago, smacked my back on the way down, and landed face first on the concrete. So that left me with back and neck problems. You wouldn't know it to look at me, but I'm in pretty rough shape for someone who's only 35 years old. I have a bike, but it's extremely uncomfortable for me to ride. It doesn't bother my knees so much as it does my back, neck, and wrists. So I've been looking at recumbent trikes. If someone doesn't take the hints I've been dropping and get me one for Christmas, I'm going to buy one myself.

buzzard75

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
I am also in same situation... Would like to have a watch on my thin wrist... Went to shop and F3HR was way too big for my wrist... One more very good choice would have been Garmin Vivoactive HR. But also too big on my wrist.
And Forruner 735XT was ok and looked quite well. The only downside (from my point of view) that 735 does not have barometer and so does not track mountain skiing and also is made from plastic and not sure how it will keep up with scratches... But otherwise it is very light and tracks everything as F3HR (except this barometer thing)...

Where did you find an F3HR? I live in a fairly rural area, just trying to get some ideas where I can look to find them or any other of these watches in the wild.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss