Band 2 is officially "End of Life"

Kevin Harvell

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Just a heads up that I was at my local Microsoft Store yesterday for an event and checking out the Surface Studio and a friend who has worked there since the store opened and he said they received an email that day stating that the Band 2 is officially end of life.

Have a damaged one that needs replaced? They were instructed to swap out in store with any remaining on hand stock. (When I needed mine replaced earlier this year, they would not swap out in store)

If they do not have a replacement in store, they are to give you a full refund IF you are still within your warranty. If you are out of warranty BUT have the Complete extended warranty, you are supposed to get a full refund MINUS the deductible.

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
If they do not have a replacement in store, they are to give you a full refund IF you are still within your warranty
I did an online chat with support yesterday to set up an exchange by mail. The rep told me the same thing about a refund if the warehouse doesn't have any stock on hand for a replacement.

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I guess that's no big surprise. I don't think anyone expected a revised Band 2 to resume production. I still think the tea leaves point to a future MS Health-compatible wearable of some kind. Just not in a time frame for holding one's breath.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
With the sudden, untimely demise of Pebble, Windows Mobile users are now faced with even fewer choices than before. Unless the Vector line adopts HR monitors, fitness buffs are even more restricted. Only a webOS devotee like me (and xandros9) can take this tightening noose in stride. And laugh about it too.

Sent from Alcatel Idol 4S with Windows via mTalk

Wolfjt

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
It's kind of funny. I left Pebble for the Band 1 and 2. My band 2 split recently so I went back to Pebble. Now Pebble gets bought out by Fitbit. Good gracious wearables are in a flux

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
It's kind of funny. I left Pebble for the Band 1 and 2. My band 2 split recently so I went back to Pebble. Now Pebble gets bought out by Fitbit. Good gracious wearables are in a flux
Hmmm. I guess I can scratch FitBit off my list. ;)

I wish I could find the article again, but I think the underlying problem is the general public isn't getting into wearables at all. It's just the early adopters. Things are kinda dark all around: Lenovo announced that there were no Moto360 watches on the horizon. Fitbit is acquiring Pebble. Fossil acquired Misfit. Nokia bought Withings. From what I'm seeing, Apple's iWatch hasn't been all that hot either.

Either wearables is not the next big thing, or they're still trying to find the right formula for it. I'm thinking it's the latter.

Wolfjt

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Hmmm. I guess I can scratch FitBit off my list. ;)

I wish I could find the article again, but I think the underlying problem is the general public isn't getting into wearables at all. It's just the early adopters. Things are kinda dark all around: Lenovo announced that there were no Moto360 watches on the horizon. Fitbit is acquiring Pebble. Fossil acquired Misfit. Nokia bought Withings. From what I'm seeing, Apple's iWatch hasn't been all that hot either.

Either wearables is not the next big thing, or they're still trying to find the right formula for it. I'm thinking it's the latter.
You hit the nail on the head. Wearables just haven't hit the spot yet.

jwpear

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I sent my Band 2 in at the end of November. Got a little worried this past weekend when I hadn't gotten the Band back and hadn't heard from them. I chatted with support and they told me they were having trouble finding parts and replacement devices. I was told that they may just issue a refund. But the support person couldn't tell me when they would arrive at this decision. I'm still waiting.

This was my second Band 2 repair/replacement, 5th overall with Bands. My device is still under the hardware warranty and I also have MS Complete.

I've ordered a Fitbit Blaze to try since it is on sale and we're in the extended Christmas return window. I've played in the Fitbit space a little off and on with the Charge. I'm not crazy about the Charge features, but I'm hoping the Blaze is a little more like the Band. I debated between it and the Surge. The Surge is nice, but it suffers from strap issues like the Band. I can at least replace the strap on the Blaze. And connected GPS is fine for me.

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
I sent my Band 2 in at the end of November. Got a little worried this past weekend when I hadn't gotten the Band back and hadn't heard from them.

Have you checked your repair status online? You should have received an email with a direct link, but you can also find the repair status from the Devices section of your Microsoft Account.

• Click "View repair details"
  • Click the image of the Band in question that you're checking on
  • Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click the repair order#

My Band 2 was shipped to Microsoft last Thursday and delivered to them yesterday. My current order status shows "Device received" is marked complete and "Device repaired" is pending. I'm just curious if you are currently stuck at the same step that I am.

repair.png

repair2.png

Techno-Freak

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
My Band 2 was shipped to Microsoft last Thursday and delivered to them yesterday. My current order status shows "Device received" is marked complete and "Device repaired" is pending. I'm just curious if you are currently stuck at the same step that I am.

I exchanged my Band 2 in Europe last week. Sent it on Tuesday, received a new one on Friday.
For me, the Device repaired step was not in progress, probably as they already had a replacement ready. It was marked as green along with the Device received step.

anon(9895094)

Apr 22, 2016
Visit site
I went to my local MS store this last weekend as my band had cracked. They said that they are not replacing them anymore for about a week now because they ran out of stock (they means all the stores in the US). They are offering $175 credit towards a Fitbit band. What really sucked was that my band cracked about a month ago and I had been meaning to go, but today, tomorrow, and I missed the train. I told them I didn't want the Fitbit and went to Amazon since I got mine from Amazon. Two days later, I have a replacement in my hand :) The real problem is, what am I gonna do when this one cracks...

TheBadGuy_88

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
Microsofts mishandling of my band 2 made me get a full refund on my band and my lumia 950xl. I got original purchase price plus insurance back on both devices. I went straight to apple and got an iPhone 7+. I've been with Microsoft since before most of you. I've had it up to here with their destroy and rebuild strategy over and over again. Im at a point where I just want something that works. Microsoft never finishes ANYTHING. everything is" lets get it functional which is like 60% then lets go on to the next thing ". They never perfect Or even get ideas to even 80-90% of their potential. so it's goodbye for now. I'll be back when a surface phone pops up

Polychrome

May 15, 2011
Visit site
I'll be honest. I still love my band 2, even with all the replacements. I told myself once it was out of warranty and cracked the final time I'd mod it by removing the rubber and making a leather strap around the electronics inside.

Problem is, my current band now has the battery-drained-but-not issue where it randomly dies and must be plugged in to restart. So I finally run into a genuine hardware issue. I'm doubtful I'll get another replacement from what I've been hearing.

I can't say I'm surprised that they've ended production. The hardware was freakin' amazing in my opinion, but the breaking straps was a very, very weak spot. I imagine I was far from the only person getting a replacement every other month, something that can't be sustained. If they do another band, watch, or anything else, the wrist-strap must be user-replaceable somehow. There can be no other way.

anon(9895094)

Apr 22, 2016
Visit site
Microsofts mishandling of my band 2 made me get a full refund on my band and my lumia 950xl. I got original purchase price plus insurance back on both devices. I went straight to apple and got an iPhone 7+. I've been with Microsoft since before most of you. I've had it up to here with their destroy and rebuild strategy over and over again. Im at a point where I just want something that works. Microsoft never finishes ANYTHING. everything is" lets get it functional which is like 60% then lets go on to the next thing ". They never perfect Or even get ideas to even 80-90% of their potential. so it's goodbye for now. I'll be back when a surface phone pops up

Yup... I'm waiting for UPS to deliver an Xperia XZ today, I also have iPhones 6 and 6s, will determine which one will stay. It really, really sucks, because 1) about the band, ever since I started looking for a new one, there just ISN'T one that would suit my needs like the MS Band; and 2) about the phone, I grew up with Windows and want to stay in the ecosystem, but...

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
Problem is, my current band now has the battery-drained-but-not issue where it randomly dies and must be plugged in to restart. So I finally run into a genuine hardware issue.
But it sounds like a related problem. The wire for the battery is probably cracked. So your plan for the Band may not be dead.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon