Any tips to avoid band splitting?

LarsCor

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
So the strap of my Band 2 is tearing. Again. And Amazon is sending a replacement. Again (good guy amazon <3). it's been like the third or fourth time my Band is tearing, and my last one was supposedly with a new reinforced band material according to the lot number. I also looked into alternatives, but basically they all lack features the Band has so I'm really glad Amazon is sending a replacement. BUT... I expect this new one to split in about 3 months as well.

Does ANYONE figured out a way to avoid or limit the chance to damage the Band? Should I for example wear it more loose, or always on the inside of my wrist (I often wear it on the outside), or wax everyday with some magic oil, or pray to a certain god and go to church every sunday? I really, really love my Band and hate to see it tear once again, especially since it is still the best smartband, so I'd do anything to keep my latest device from splitting.

marchius

Mar 11, 2016
Visit site
Mine has split after 6 months. The second is still holding (4+ months). Looks strong. Though first one also looked Ok all time except then it broke. Now after some time and using second band I think that there were signs that the band will break, as 2 months before the break I have started to use the strap by 1 tighter setting to get HR readings during sleep and ~1 month before 1 tighter setting once again.
I do not wear mine during work time and use it only off work time... So usage is a bit less than those who wear it full day.
Also always try not to bend the strap opposite direction - but that was in manual, I think....
So I would say that if you wear it on loose side and not bend the strap inside out, that will give you some more time...

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
I've had a Band 2 for over a year and needed 2 warranty replacements, both because the wire inside presumably came lose and the Band stopped taking a charge. I've never experienced any tearing of the strap, but I'm not really sure how my wearing habits differed from people who have experienced the problem.

I always wear the display on the inside of my wrist. I tighten it enough so that it can't slide up or down when I move my arm, but it has just enough wiggle room in case I get an itch. During workouts, I tighten it down 1 or 2 clicks so that the heart rate sensor remains firmly in contact with my skin and won't move.

Centrifuge Games

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
I've only had one band strap split, but when it happened I realised that the tear was exactly where my wrist rubs on the desk when typing. I've now moved my keyboard closer to the edge of the desk so that my band doesn't touch it - it's a bit early to tell if it's made any real difference, but I have noticed that the strap is a lot less shiny than the old one. I guess a year of being gently knocked and rubbed against the desk gradually built up and weakened it. I've also started fastening the band whilst cleaning it (so that I'm not bending the straps too much when wiping them).

anon(9895094)

Apr 22, 2016
Visit site
I've only had one band strap split, but when it happened I realised that the tear was exactly where my wrist rubs on the desk when typing. I've now moved my keyboard closer to the edge of the desk so that my band doesn't touch it - it's a bit early to tell if it's made any real difference, but I have noticed that the strap is a lot less shiny than the old one. I guess a year of being gently knocked and rubbed against the desk gradually built up and weakened it. I've also started fastening the band whilst cleaning it (so that I'm not bending the straps too much when wiping them).

Maybe put duck tape or some kind of tape on the spot where it rubs?... I don't know. I just got my replacement. For a moment though it looked like I wouldn't get one so I started looking for another brand. That's when you realize how good the MS band is! From the others, one doesn't have one function, another doesn't have another, the third looks like a cheap toy... As a matter of fact, they all look worse... Neither has guided workouts.

TheBadGuy_88

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
Best tip is to not wear it. I went through 3 bands until Microsoft stole my last one and forced me to take a wackass fitbit or a full refund. I upped the ante and got a full refund on the band and the lumia 950xl while I was at it. Screw that
We have to stop supporting companies that don't support the products they sell us. #StillLoveMicrosoft though.

fdruid

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Mine has split after 6 months. The second is still holding (4+ months). Looks strong. Though first one also looked Ok all time except then it broke. Now after some time and using second band I think that there were signs that the band will break, as 2 months before the break I have started to use the strap by 1 tighter setting to get HR readings during sleep and ~1 month before 1 tighter setting once again.
I do not wear mine during work time and use it only off work time... So usage is a bit less than those who wear it full day.
Also always try not to bend the strap opposite direction - but that was in manual, I think....
So I would say that if you wear it on loose side and not bend the strap inside out, that will give you some more time...

I got this too, I think that it stretches and that's why over time one ends up wearing it progressively tighter. This might be a design issue.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss