Where to go after Band 2

Vishca

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
My fourth band 2 split across the width of the strap, and this time Microsoft stated that I could no longer have it replaced. So I carefully ran a slim line of super glue in the split area, and so far it has been good for a month. As Ebay is full of split bands I might buy a couple on the cheap and give them the same treatment.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
The problem I found with the Gear S3 is that calendar events wouldn't save to the watch and then be available if your phone wasn't connected via BT. That was one of the best features about the Band I used. I could create all my calendar events, sync them down to my Band and then leave my phone in my car while I was at work. Then when the time for an appointment came up, my Band vibrated and told me the appointment. As far as I could determine, this feature is not available on the Gear S3. There are some features that the Gear S3 that does not have available as a stand-alone device.

So, to update this post, I was incorrect. The Gear S3 does sync the calendar events for "unconnected" BT use. This has been the best smartwatch I've had to date. The fitness ability of the Band 2 and the Health app on the web are better, but the smart notifications, Samsung Pay, watch faces and design of the Gear S3 is better.

If you're looking for a replacement, grab a Samsung S7 or S8 and the Gear S3, and you will be very satisfied.

David Goldwasser

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site
First band I tried after MS Band2 broke the last time was the Gramin Vivosmart 3. It has some new HRV/stress functionality as well as auto activity recognition that I thought sounded nice. Screen is small and bad, but I didn't care about that. It was comfortable, and I was generally really happy with it, but while it did great for all day and walking HR it was just horrible to point I couldn't use it. I tested inside and outside of writs and different tightnesses. It wasn't that the HR wasn't accurate, it would drop to 50-80 during hard bike rides, vs. 100 or so for walks. My CO2 which was 59 on MS Band2 was 39 on Garmin. I returned it at end of 2 week window. Thought about Garmin Vivoactive HR, or the new Polar M430 coming out, but ended up trying out the Fitbit Blaze. I have to say I'm really happy with it. While it is big, it is thin, and is comfortable to ware all day. More importantly it has reasonable tracking when cycling. I give up the waterproof feature of Vivosmart 3, but I pick up phone linked GPS which is nice. I typically have my phone anyway. Here are some screenshtos of HR with Vivosmart 3, MS band, and Fitbit Blaze, all on similar days with bike commute to/from work.

https://goo.gl/photos/urHTbYawC2xY74y69

HOTDAWG

May 13, 2013
Visit site
My fourth band 2 split across the width of the strap, and this time Microsoft stated that I could no longer have it replaced. So I carefully ran a slim line of super glue in the split area, and so far it has been good for a month. As Ebay is full of split bands I might buy a couple on the cheap and give them the same treatment.

We electrical-taped ours for months until they finally dies.

I've gone to Fenix 5 - but can report ridiculously poor connectivity to phone. Sync stinks - I very, very rarely get a full sync and never an easy sync. (That being said the device is great and works great in and of itself, it's just not much more useful than a watch right now.)

I miss my Band. :crying:

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I had the Garmin Fenix 3hr and it worked great with my Samsung Galaxy S7....heck even my MSB 2 works better with my GS7 than it did with my Nokia Icon....

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
I still have a very functional Band 2 and am happy with it. However, I have made the Garmin Fenix 3 my primary watch. It's not a fair comparison because the Garmin is so much more expensive. But it's truly an amazing watch. Very stylish. Waterproof up to 100 meters. I use it to track my swimming as well as my other activities.

The battery lasts "forever". In GPS mode, it can go 24 hours. The Band 2 would last 3 hours or so on GPS mode. And in regular watch mode, the Garmin can last weeks between charges. The secret sauce is that it uses a color eInk display rather than a traditional LCD. So it doesn't have the lovely color of LCD. But functionality is kind with the Garmin.

And it pairs so easily. The Band and Band 2 can be adventures when it comes to pairing. Sometimes it works without trouble. Other times, it's a nightmare to pair.

MoeJ

May 29, 2014
Visit site
I liked how the Band 2 was able to check my heart rate 30 min before my alarm and woke me up when I was not in deep sleep.
Is there a band out there that does the same thing? I hate this groggy feeling in the morning.

anon(9895094)

Apr 22, 2016
Visit site
Nope, nothing comes close to this like the Band. I have a Garmin Fenix 3HR and I still have to use my Band 2 for lifting weights. Well, I was up until about a week ago when I sent my Band 2 in for battery issues.

I DON'T believe that there isn't something similar to guided workouts out there... Is that still the case? Even for an android phone? I mean, this seems like such an awesome and everyday use feature... I don't believe that only I and few others are interested in this! Ever since my first band broke last year, I've been looking for a wearable with this feature, and nothing. Can't even find a discussion about it. This is one of the very few threads where guided workouts are mentioned. Unreal. The only thing I'm finding is the Atlas Wristband, but that is way too specialized, not a smartwatch really.

MarineDawg

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
From the Band 2 (refusing to buy my 3rd one) I went the Fitbit Charge 2 road. I was satisfied rather complacent and missed the Band 2 almost daily. Thankfully the unit crapped on itself (display was backwards or mirrored, and the screen would sometimes not work.) Fitbit replaced it with no problem but I opted to check out the Gear Fit 2 in the interim and I have been nothing but happy. The notifications are great. Matter of fact I ordered the Gear Fit 2 Pro for the update (battery life and water proofing.) I never used the Band 2's guided workouts so I don't miss that but for my purposes this is my more than adequate Band 2 replacement.

anon(9895094)

Apr 22, 2016
Visit site
From the Band 2 (refusing to buy my 3rd one) I went the Fitbit Charge 2 road. I was satisfied rather complacent and missed the Band 2 almost daily. Thankfully the unit crapped on itself (display was backwards or mirrored, and the screen would sometimes not work.) Fitbit replaced it with no problem but I opted to check out the Gear Fit 2 in the interim and I have been nothing but happy. The notifications are great. Matter of fact I ordered the Gear Fit 2 Pro for the update (battery life and water proofing.) I never used the Band 2's guided workouts so I don't miss that but for my purposes this is my more than adequate Band 2 replacement.

Hah, same for me - after the second band, refusing to get a third, I went to the Charge 2 :) Thought it an interim solution and went looking for another one. Finally got the Polar M600 which looked like a solid Android Wear 2 smartwatch/fitness band. However, it didn't work right right out of the box and I had to send it for service. In the meantime I started to like the Charge 2 and the Fitbit software A LOT. It's just really intuitive and everything seems to work pretty flawlessly. So now I'm debating whether to stick with the Polar (I'm yet to get it back from service and see if a like it), or to stay with Fitbit. I've been eyeing the Get Fit 2 for awhile too... If I stay with Fitbit though, it has to be their new thing, the Ionic, because I also do need real notifications. There is also this Fitstar app that could probably replace the guided workouts. The thing is though, the notifications are not actionable with Fitbit, even with the Ionic, while Android Wear 2 lets you do a lot. Sooooo :) MS could have done things much simpler by coming out with Band 3 :)

docsp1

May 27, 2016
Visit site
Vivosmart 3 does not sync with phone L950 and indoor biking heart rate measurements with the built in sensor are unreliable otherwise its comfortable to wear.

bulls96

Jun 25, 2007
Visit site
I decided on a fitbit iconic.

So far so good. From a smartwatch perspective, if really is doing as mich as my precious band2. I never got the replying, typing, voice functions to work properly. All that was working was really the text notifications. Which my Ionic js doing for me so far.

One thing... Ionics battery life is amazing! I had it for 2 days ad charge was still >50%. Which is far better than the band.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Sorry for the absence, I spend my time over on AC Central. Yeah the Ionic seems to be getting better, but the lack of being able to create my own workout and sync it to a Fitbit tracker for independent usage is what's hurting me. I work in a facility where I can't have my cellphone. I'll say it again. There are no devices on the market with the website ability to create a custom workout and sync it to a tracker. If there are, please tell me.

Sadly my 3rd Band 2 just crapped out on me a few days ago. Had been looking everywhere. Found a good deal on another one but it sold. Even the good ones on ebay are a bit more than I want to invest. Happened to remember the marketplace here, so I jumped over here to take a look.

robw70

Aug 11, 2015
Visit site
I love my Band 2 but it has just started to develop a split in the strap so I know its just gonna fail on me soon. Listimg my Band 2 on ebay, it is sadly time to jump ship and so I picked up a Fitbit Charge 2 for £80 in last weeks Amazon Prime Day Sale. I feel anything more like an Apple Watch would be overkill.
Early comments are:
Pro's:
Great battery life, lasts for days - great for tracking sleep. I was charging my Band 2 every day.
Smaller and lighter on the wrist
Customisable clock face - display multiple elements on the time screen
Great app - easy to use and understand to track exercise, weight and food. Better visually than MS Health.
Replaceable strap!

Con's:
Notifications limited - calls, texts and calendars from IOS - forget Whatsapp, Facebook etc.
Notifications not stored and only a few words are displayed.
The Band 2 Clasp is brilliant. Being picky but I don't like the buckle-strap on the Fitbit but there isn't a similar equivalent.

Not worried about transferring my data from MS Health and the Fitbit Charge 2 will do what I want it to as an activity tracker/health tool but I miss my Band 2, particularly the notifications, as it was more of a smart watch than the Fitbit. The Fitbit app is particularly easy to use and intuitive. I am trying to link my wife’s Apple Watch, IOS Health App and My Fitness Pal and it is driving me nuts!

Last edited:

djarchow

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
My original Band 2's battery is starting to go but otherwise is working fine. I bought another new one last fall so I do have a spare. Unfortunately since my Essential Phone upgraded to Android Pie two days ago the Band app won't even open; it crashes immediately. I cleared my cache and reinstalled the app but got the same results.I am hoping they will update the app but at this point the band is only good for tracking my steps and checking my heart rate since none of the notifications work without the app.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss