As someone who owns a Pro 3, Pro 4, Book 2 and Surface Go, I honestly didn't think I'd be saying this, but really, don't bother with them. The drama just isn't worth it.

The issue isn't with the machines, but the power cables that come with them.

I've had endless issues and countless returns with every Surface Pro/Book power cable I've owned.

And the latest drama just kicked off this morning.

My Book 2 is not even four months old, and the charger has stopped working. I'm now faced with the task of contacting support, discussing the issue and arranging a return & replacement.

I know the process well. I've had to do it 5 times over the past few of years.

My Pro 3 charger died, was replaced, died again. Eventually, I bought a knockoff from Amazon. It still works.

Pro 4 charger died, replaced. Died a year later, out of warranty. Bought a new, original one from the MS store. It dies a few months later.

Surface book 2, charger died last night.

This is unacceptable. These machines cost an absolute fortune, and to have so many charger cable/power supply issues is just ridiculous.

It doesn't matter how good the device is, if it come's with a poorly manufactured power pack, and can't be reliably charged, all that solid engineering means nothing. Absolutely nothing at all.

Whoever's in charge of power cable quality control at Microsoft is.....wait, what am I saying. There is no quality control at the power cable team.

So infuriating
    09-19-2018 06:03 AM
    I (We) have had an original Surface Pro, Surface 2, Surface Pro 3 and a Surface Pro 4.

All have been completely trouble free and the SP, SP3 and SP4 are all still running fine, no issues with any of the chargers except the Surface 2 and that only ceased to work cause my lad kicked it and managed to damage the cable.

You must be unlucky.
    09-19-2018 10:41 AM
    sorry, I find this hard to believe... you must be doing something to these power cables... I own several surface devices from the surface 2 to surface 3 to surface pro 3 and none of them are suffering from faulty chargers... even my GF's father who I convinced to buy a surface 2 already used and his charger is still working.. heck my surface 2 and surface 3 are over 4 years old! it sucks that your having these mysterious problems with your chargers but that doesn't mean they're bad devices. also if this was a rampant problem this forum would be littered with posts of people suffering with the same problems as you, which leads me to believe yours is an isolated problem. you better check your homes electrical system or somewhere there's an electrical problem...maybe when you're packing them away for transport you're too rough? wrapping them too tight? who knows?
    anthonyng likes this.
    09-19-2018 11:00 AM
    Honestly, I've never had any problems with any Surface cables and I started with the first RT model. That being said, the Nokia 2520 RT was notorious for crapping out charging cables. Here's an idea: make every charging system via USB-C and be done with it.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    09-20-2018 01:18 PM