Surface Go 2 after Surface Pro X, should I switch?

ViktorOTitov

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
Dear friends! I am using Surface Pro X as one device for everyday work now. I am working with tons of emails and different types of docs (Word, Excel, PP, Acrobat, etc.). I am using Microsoft 365 (Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook, Teams, OneNote, etc.), new Edge, WhatsApp, Telegram, Adobe Acrobat DC Pro. I like the Pro X very much, it has LTE (which I need). But it is a bit sluggish in Outlook, Edge, f.e.
Thinking about to switch for the new Go 2 with LTE. But I need Your suggestions. Thanks!

ochhanz

Nov 15, 2017
Visit site
Dear friends! I am using Surface Pro X as one device for everyday work now. I am working with tons of emails and different types of docs (Word, Excel, PP, Acrobat, etc.). I am using Microsoft 365 (Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook, Teams, OneNote, etc.), new Edge, WhatsApp, Telegram, Adobe Acrobat DC Pro. I like the Pro X very much, it has LTE (which I need). But it is a bit sluggish in Outlook, Edge, f.e.
Thinking about to switch for the new Go 2 with LTE. But I need Your suggestions. Thanks!
, Hi, the Go 2 (m/y variant) is slightly faster in single core for short periods so in that regard it will probably feel faster for outlook and edge. Naturally in legacy apps the Go 2 (m/y) will be faster too. It is also lighter. However, the Pro X has a much bigger screen and will be faster if you multitask a lot and stress the machine hard. The Pro X also has better battery life and runs cooler.

So to conclude:
Pro X is generally better as a primary device (unless you are always docked) since it is better in multi tasking and has big screen.
Go 2 is generally better as a secondary device (eg you can use it like an ipad, you can use it for touch games on Steam, you can do finishing touches programs like photoshop, use it like an e-reader etc).

In your case I would keep the X. If performance is an obstacle perhaps wait for the Pro 8 or Pro X 2 or a clone. If you cannot wait than I would consider a Pro 7 (its screen is smaller but it offers better performance).

This review has cpu and ssd comparisons between most surface devices: https://www.windowscentral.com/surface-go-2-review#

Last edited:

AlphaBeepBeep

Dec 31, 2019
Visit site
I have an X and have no desire for the Go. I'd stick with the X personally. the other commenter gave a more thoughtful/helpful comment but I only have experience with the X so i can't really speak for the Go.

For me the X has worked out well, i love the build quality and honestly think it's better than my Surface Pro 7. I'm really hoping the new Surface Pro has a design like the X.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3