New to Windows and need help with an issue

revmacian

Oct 10, 2021
Visit site
My history
I've been using Linux as my sole OS for 22 years. I recently moved to Windows 11 and I'm loving it, I want to stay on Windows 11. I have been using Android on my phone and would like to stay there.. since Windows phone is a thing of the past.

I have fallen in love with Outlook and would like to be able to do everything from within my Outlook account.

My issue
I seem to have to keep up with two sets of contacts.

Dealing with the desktop PC (Windows 11 Pro)
When I want to send an email with Outlook, I can begin typing a contact name and the email address will be filled in by Outlook - I had copied all Google contacts over to Outlook a week ago, but that type of "sync" is a one-time thing.

Dealing with my Google Pixel 4a phone
When I want to send a text message (SMS) on my phone, I can begin typing the contact name and Google contacts will fill in the phone number.

This works all well and good.. except that I am forced to keep up with two sets of contacts; one set in Google contacts for the phone and another set in Outlook for the PC. The issue here is that my SMS phone app can't pull contacts from Outlook on my phone.. and Outlook on my PC won't pull contacts from Google contacts on my PC. So, when someone gives me their phone number I have to enter it twice; once in Outlook and once in Google contacts.

What I have tried
I sync'd my Google contacts to Outlook a week ago, but that was a one-time thing.
I tried Skype on PC and phone, hoping it would pull contacts from my Outlook account so I can use it for text messaging and not have to deal with Google contacts, but Skype still pulls contacts from Google contacts on my phone.

Desired solution
I would like to only have to maintain one set of contacts; preferably in Outlook. Isn't there a way to keep Outlook contacts and Google contacts in permanent sync without having to sync them again every time I create a new contact?

Thank you for reading and I apologize if this thread was created in the wrong section.

Jun 9, 2021
Visit site
Just create this google account in windows mail and your all google contacts will be synced automatically without copying or any other hassle. Just check Mail box sync settings by right clicking on your email address because Sync contacts must b ticked...

revmacian

Oct 10, 2021
Visit site
Just create this google account in windows mail and your all google contacts will be synced automatically without copying or any other hassle. Just check Mail box sync settings by right clicking on your email address because Sync contacts must b ticked...

I did that when I added my google account to Outlook (on PC and phone), apparently it doesn't work that way - the contacts have never automatically sync'd. If your advice is working for you then you're the only person on earth with that much luck - all of the online advice I'm seeing online says sync via export/import of .CSV files. Hard to believe this problem still exists.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I did that when I added my google account to Outlook (on PC and phone), apparently it doesn't work that way - the contacts have never automatically sync'd. If your advice is working for you then you're the only person on earth with that much luck - all of the online advice I'm seeing online says sync via export/import of .CSV files. Hard to believe this problem still exists.

Check the outlook account on your phone and make sure it has contacts ticked for syncing also in the outlook mobile app itself so when it syncs your mail at the set internal, it should sync your contacts.

revmacian

Oct 10, 2021
Visit site
Check the outlook account on your phone and make sure it has contacts ticked for syncing also in the outlook mobile app itself so when it syncs your mail at the set internal, it should sync your contacts.

Yes, this has been checked several times and Contacts is ticked. I'm wondering if this is a bug such that Contacts is ticked but they aren't actually synced. Can anyone confirm this actually works? I'm wondering if this is the "default" advice but it doesn't actually work and such advice should be abandoned.

revmacian

Oct 10, 2021
Visit site
Here is what I did just now:
1. I removed my Google account from Outlook on Android
2. I uninstalled Outlook from my Android phone
3. I re-installed Outlook for Android on my phone
4. I added my Google account to the Outlook app on Android
5. I made sure all Contacts were brought over - Outlook did this during account setup.. all Google contacts are in Outlook
6. I created a new contact in Google Contacts
7. I killed/shutdown the Outlook for Android app on my phone and relaunched it
8. Waited ten minutes
9. The new user I created in step 6 (above) still is not in the Outlook Contacts

The Outlook app on Android will import all Google contacts when the Google account is added, but Outlook on Android won't keep them synced.

revmacian

Oct 10, 2021
Visit site
As an experiment, I removed my Google account in the Outlook app on Android.. and all of the contacts, which were supposedly "synced" or "imported" disappeared too. The Sync toggle in the Outlook settings on Android should be renamed to "View". I don't think Outlook for Android sync or imports Google contacts, it just lets you View and work with them.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Yes, this has been checked several times and Contacts is ticked. I'm wondering if this is a bug such that Contacts is ticked but they aren't actually synced. Can anyone confirm this actually works? I'm wondering if this is the "default" advice but it doesn't actually work and such advice should be abandoned.

Well, it does work as my household has numerous number of android smart phones. However, there are people in situations like yourself with issues with such a basic feature where one wouldn't expect to say "your mileage may vary".

Also you haven't mentioned if you tried setting or checking app permissions in your google account.

So I have to ask, have you tried checking app permissions in your google account?

revmacian

Oct 10, 2021
Visit site
Well, it does work as my household has numerous number of android smart phones. However, there are people in situations like yourself with issues with such a basic feature where one wouldn't expect to say "your mileage may vary".

Also you haven't mentioned if you tried setting or checking app permissions in your google account.

So I have to ask, have you tried checking app permissions in your google account?

I'm curious. Create a new contact in your Outlook account on your PC, and see if it automatically syncs to your Google account on an Android phone. Then, create a new contact in your Google account on an Android phone, and see if it automatically syncs to your Outlook account on a Windows PC. And, by "automatically" I mean that you don't have to touch a thing for contacts to sync both ways on different devices

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I'm curious. Create a new contact in your Outlook account on your PC, and see if it automatically syncs to your Google account on an Android phone. Then, create a new contact in your Google account on an Android phone, and see if it automatically syncs to your Outlook account on a Windows PC. And, by "automatically" I mean that you don't have to touch a thing for contacts to sync both ways on different devices

😶😶😶😶😶

You do realise the outlook account and google accounts are two completely different services therefore they won't sync 😅.

Have you checked app permissions in your google account?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism