Hololens price estimate

Motor_Mouth

Banned
Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
The average consumer is not going to pay $1500 for a device like this.
Of course they aren't but you are missing my point, which is that MS won't want the first gen device to get into every consumer's hands. They will want to get enough units out there to validate the platform so they can give it a huge push once they are confident the platform is 100% ready for prime-time. So I expect the first-gen device to be expensive and the second-gen to be considerably cheaper, once the platform is completely ready for the mass market.
Not like I am going to be replacing AutoCAD or SolidWorks for a clearly inferior CAD solution.
HoloLens will run Windows 10 so I can't see any reason you wouldn't be able to use AutoCAD or Solidworks with it, although installing things like that might be a challenge. Seeing how hard Autodesk has hit iOS with apps, I reckon they will be all over a platform that seems tailor-made for their products.
If they want to charge more than $500 they better ship with some serious solutions.
I'll be getting it if it ships with nothing other than an OS and, as I said, I don't care how much it is. It IS the future and I want in.

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Of course they aren't but you are missing my point, which is that MS won't want the first gen device to get into every consumer's hands. They will want to get enough units out there to validate the platform so they can give it a huge push once they are confident the platform is 100% ready for prime-time. So I expect the first-gen device to be expensive and the second-gen to be considerably cheaper, once the platform is completely ready for the mass market.

HoloLens will run Windows 10 so I can't see any reason you wouldn't be able to use AutoCAD or Solidworks with it, although installing things like that might be a challenge. Seeing how hard Autodesk has hit iOS with apps, I reckon they will be all over a platform that seems tailor-made for their products.

I'll be getting it if it ships with nothing other than an OS and, as I said, I don't care how much it is. It IS the future and I want in.

Would be great if it shipped with 3rd party support. I think it might be unrealistic to expect full AutoCAD, however, having an API that interfaces the HoloLens wirelessly to a PC would allow some neat features.
e.g: looking away from the monitor invokes a 3D view of the component/structure/project/etc on a defined surface.

The rift might not be as flexible for productivity, but if it ships for 1/5 the price ... Slap a Microsoft sticker on it and load some vidya games

Motor_Mouth

Banned
Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
That's the big difference for me. Rift is nothing but a gaming/entertainment device and, therefore, I have less than no interest in it. If they were giving them away for free, I wouldn't take one because it doesn't do a single thing I need.

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
That's the big difference for me. Rift is nothing but a gaming/entertainment device and, therefore, I have less than no interest in it. If they were giving them away for free, I wouldn't take one because it doesn't do a single thing I need.

Rift is a VR headset, has many uses XD
If both headsets required a workstation, and the rift was significantly cheaper, I would probably choose the rift. Not going to buy either, I do not like having gadgets that collect dust ;)))

Motor_Mouth

Banned
Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Another man with no vision. I can see a future version of HoloLens being the only electronic device I need. Even this first-fen device should be able to replace several different devices. I'm obviously not completely sure of its capabilities but I can see it replacing my TV and DVR, my tablet and maybe even my phone (if it has 4G/LTE). Once I have one, I know for sure that I will never use my tablet again as an absolute minimum.

Think of a situation, like taking a day trip on the train up to the mountains or a long haul flight. For a trip like that I'd take my phone, my Thinkpad 8 and my good headphones. But once I have HoloLens (assuming it has 4G), it is the only device I'd need and, when you take all the things it can replace into consideration, it wouldn't be any bulkier, either.

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Another man with no vision. I can see a future version of HoloLens being the only electronic device I need. Even this first-fen device should be able to replace several different devices. I'm obviously not completely sure of its capabilities but I can see it replacing my TV and DVR, my tablet and maybe even my phone (if it has 4G/LTE). Once I have one, I know for sure that I will never use my tablet again as an absolute minimum.

Think of a situation, like taking a day trip on the train up to the mountains or a long haul flight. For a trip like that I'd take my phone, my Thinkpad 8 and my good headphones. But once I have HoloLens (assuming it has 4G), it is the only device I'd need and, when you take all the things it can replace into consideration, it wouldn't be any bulkier, either.

Maybe you are thinking too far ahead, and not of the actual experiences HoloLens has to offer.
Regardless it is clear I do not see the vision :p

Motor_Mouth

Banned
Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I've seen what you've seen. I could replace my TV with a video window pinned to the wall (I'd paint the wall black to get the best colour from the screen). It has 3D audio capabilities, so playing music is a given. It can do Skype, so video, voice and text messaging is there. It runs Win10 so I imagine all the apps I use now will be available in some form or another. I'd be keen to see how it handles Kindle.

Milan Plecas

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
Based on the amount of time which Microsoft has spent in developing the Hololens along with how long they are taking from originally announcing the existence and eventual release for retail sale of the device, I would tend to believe that MSFT will sell the Hololens for an affordable price, I've been feeling that it will run roughly $499-$599.
This is not being handled at all the way Google Glass was, Microsoft has first off spent years developing the device and continues to fine tune it for an undisclosed release date, thus clearly manufacturing the device with the intent of selling it broadly and having essentially limitless availability or like the Band, the ability for fairly quickly pump out additional replenishments to available inventory as they clearly have been developing and marketing the device to a very broad base of consumers, essentially to the same target consumer base as that of the Xbox or Surface line of tablets. Additionally, with the coinciding release of Windows 10 along with the continuous integration of Microsoft services to be available on both Android and IOS in addition to WP which looks to soon include Cortana. it is clear that MSFT is taking the proper path as they are focusing on long term growth and success rather than short term maximization of immediate profits at the cost of long term decline.
Microsoft has already shown a willingness to deliver their greatest products in which they produce themselves at affordable and possibly breakeven or even at a loss pricing, utilizing the massive profits brought in at extremely high profit margins from their core bread and butter businesses of Windows liscensing and the office suites, leveraging their extremely high levels of high profit margin cash flow to deliver to the consumer great deals on their latest hardware ventures.
This is in my opinion a brilliant method of gaining rapid traction in late to the game arenas. Take phones for example, at Microsoft.com one can purchase a factory unlocked Lumia 1020 brand new for I believe $349, additionally I believe that the surface pro line has been consistently priced within very close reach of actual costs of production, especially when purchased during various promotional pricing periods.
I believe MSFT is doing this because for one they can afford to due to the fact that by far the lion's share of their net income is derived through their longtime cash cow sources at very high margins, thus able to afford to and without the real need to produce real profits from newly developed hardware, what is more important to them and their future relivance is for them to see increases in their market share of various areas in which they arrived late to, such as smartphones and tablets which are devices which pay much greater dividends in relation to their position in market share and the use of their OS for the long term opposed to any profit derived from the initial sale of said product.
This is more important than ever with the upcoming windows 10 release, a major point in the future success of the company. The need for widespread consumer embracing of the OS has never been higher as competitors are knocking harder than ever at the door to the entrance into to pc market, thus the time is perfect for the release of a completely revolutionary moment in the Windows OS evolution and consequently the stakes never greater for a successful launch with massive consumer adaption, thus anything that Microsoft can due to improve such a result will be utilized, hence the free upgrades, the recent dropping of liscening fees for devices 9" or smaller, the recent development of previously Microsoft exclusive apps to now be available to essentially any smartphone which one could have, thus not boxing themselves off ala Apple, rather taking a page out of the Google of Old's playbook as was clearly necessary while WP maintanes just a 3.5% market share for smartphones thus it would be ridiculous to not provide users of Android or Apple phones the ability to enjoy the full benefits of Windows 10 and Microsoft's hugely advantageous unified and synchronized experience for those using a Windows based PC or laptop or computer tablet.
Just as was seen with the development of the ability for Ipad users to access Office subscriptions through their Ipad and the subsequent 9 million added subs, the ability to use a windows pc while still enjoying the same seamlessness as a WP user regardless of their choice of phone is brilliant, I feel that Apple's refusal to allow anything near such a capability as very shortsighted and despite currently delivering major profits through various slaps in the consumer's face I cannot see the strategy holding up will in the future.
I am truly amazed at the level of devotion shown by ******'s even in the face of repeated abuse. To illustrate, up until recently the IPhone was released with an entry model sporting a mere 8gb of memory prior to what was subtracted for the OS, that with no means by which to increase to amount of memory space available other than coughing up an additional $100 for each increased space iteration of the phone, hence costing a $100 more to buy a 16gb phone, an additional $100 for a 32 gb thus $200 more expensive than the advertised price which was for the entry level just to get up to 32gb of non expandable memory while lumias that do not feature an SD card capability ship with a minimum of 32gb of space as well as all WP's coming with OneDrive along with somewhere between 10-50 gb of free cloud storage, not exactly sure what amount of free storage they are up to now as I've had no worries for some time due to my free 2 years of 100GB OneDrive storage redeemed very affordably in bing rewards points.
To sum it up, Microsoft is by far more concerned with gaining the largest degree of consumer adoption of Windows 10 and the use by consumers of their in house developed hardware devices which will greatly further the priority of major moat renovations which will continue to protect their crown jewels form invaders into Microsoft's key market any source of income, therefor I cannot fathom that a company would spend years perfecting a revolutionary device along with months if not years more promoting and showcasing while continuing to perfect such a device only to release it at such a price point in which the prospects of massive consumer purchasing and subsequent loss of a major draw for the consumer embracing of their latest OS, the likes of which are astronomical, simply to maximize hardware profits for a company which sees it's income consisting of that from hardware account for a fraction of the overall profits, I see that as absolutely ludicrous as the advertising expenses associated with the Hololens along with the scale and targeting of the general consuming public in their promotion of said device would have been in complete contridication with such a price point, not to mention wasting possibly the most powerful source of strength in gaining consumer engagement with windows 10.

Milan Plecas

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
Exactly, and who has been the targeted audience for the Hololens? Essentially the entire consuming population, or more relatable, the same consumers targeted by the latest Galaxy or IPhone, or any flagship for that matter, the audience targeted for any new gaming console, basically the same audience targeted for any mainstream tech device, hence no way MSFT spends this much time perfecting and promoting to vastest amount of consumers a device that showcases upcoming windows 10 in unprecedented manner and they sell it for a price which is anything but mainstream price range. They are likely to sell at break even or even at a loss as reaching they hands of the greatest amount of consumer's will far outweigh any upfront profits over the long run.

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I've seen what you've seen. I could replace my TV with a video window pinned to the wall (I'd paint the wall black to get the best colour from the screen). It has 3D audio capabilities, so playing music is a given. It can do Skype, so video, voice and text messaging is there. It runs Win10 so I imagine all the apps I use now will be available in some form or another. I'd be keen to see how it handles Kindle.

Nice! I might start with something along those lines. Probably start with hanging poster frames because my walls are textured, poster screens look classier than projector screens haha

Motor_Mouth

Banned
Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Exactly, and who has been the targeted audience for the Hololens? Essentially the entire consuming population, or more relatable, the same consumers targeted by the latest Galaxy or IPhone, or any flagship for that matter, the audience targeted for any new gaming console, basically the same audience targeted for any mainstream tech device, hence no way MSFT spends this much time perfecting and promoting to vastest amount of consumers a device that showcases upcoming windows 10 in unprecedented manner and they sell it for a price which is anything but mainstream price range. They are likely to sell at break even or even at a loss as reaching they hands of the greatest amount of consumer's will far outweigh any upfront profits over the long run.
You'd say the same thing about Band though, wouldn't you, but I still can't buy one in Australia 6 months after it was released in the US. You'd have said the same thing about Zune music players, too, yet they were never sold anywhere outside Nth America. Just because they eventually want to dominate the world doesn't mean they start out with saturation bombing. "Softly, softly, catchy monkey" and a good way to do that is to make the first gen a little more expensive so that it gets into the hands of the real enthusiasts who will drive sales later on.

I'll be incredibly disappointed if they restrict sales to the US, although I'll still get one from over there, even if I have to fly across and grab it in person.

Last edited:

Motor_Mouth

Banned
Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
... leveraging their extremely high levels of high profit margin cash flow to deliver to the consumer great deals on their latest hardware ventures.
If that's true, why is Surface so expensive? And Zune players weren't exactly cheap, either.
This is in my opinion a brilliant method of gaining rapid traction in late to the game arenas.
What does this have to do with HoloLens, which will be the first device in a whole new category. It won't have any competition and it's market share will be 100%, no matter how many they sell, until someone else can come up with another device to compete with it. That will probably give them a year or two to improve and perfect HoloLens before they have to worry about competitors. That's plenty of time to grow your sales, no need to do it all at once.
I cannot fathom that a company would spend years perfecting a revolutionary device along with months if not years more promoting and showcasing while continuing to perfect such a device only to release it at such a price point in which the prospects of massive consumer purchasing and subsequent loss of a major draw for the consumer embracing of their latest OS...
This doesn't make sense with the fact that Microsoft are giving W10 away. Why would they lose money on a new hardware venture, one that has no competitors whatsoever, just to help them give away more licenses of the thing you say makes all their money? Your logic contradicts itself all over the place. I think your point would make much more sense applied to the new Surface 3, yet they have not seen fit to sell it on the cheap at all. Quite the opposite, it's priced in iPad territory.
the most powerful source of strength in gaining consumer engagement with windows 10.
Again, I'd say that applies more to Surface 3 than to HoloLens, as S3 will provide a more "normal" windows experience.

The only thing that might stop them from pricing it high is the appearance of failure that would inevitably come if they lowered the price later on. That said, if they came out with a second-gen device at a lower price, they could simply say that they were able to do it more cheaply because of economies of scale or whatever. I still believe a sub-$1000 price is unlikely but I'd be very happy to be proved wrong.

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Don't worry, it will be released sub $600 and you will just have buy two to compensate haha

If they want HoloLens in every home, they are going to need to put one in every home, literally.

If this fails they'll probably write up a skeleton for other vendors to license.

Motor_Mouth

Banned
Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
They will only have to do that if they want a HoloLens in every home this year, which seems unlikely. If nothing else, they will not want to manufacture too many and be forced into another billion dollar write-down if it tanks. It's unknown territory for everyone and I think a softly, softly approach is what they'll employ.

Don't get me wrong, no-one would be happier than me if they decide to sell them on the cheap but I can't see any upside for them in doing that. As I said, they will have 100% market share whether they sell a hundred or a million so they can afford to let momentum build over time. And Apple have shown time and time again that premium pricing is no barrier to tens of millions of sales so I can't see Microsoft dropping their pants unless/until they really have to. They exist to make money, not to make our dreams come true (although the latter is a good way to achieve the former in some circumstances).

Kieran Jeffery

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site
It all depends on how much that new HPU costs to build? Is it just a modified CPU/APU/GPU or is it something much more complex needing to process 10x that of any current chip.

onysi

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
My guess is just around 700. It shouldn't be more than a surface. This thing is smokes and mirrors. The technology is windows 10, typical PC parts on two small screens for your eyes. I say its smokes and mirrors because its Kinect in your face. Hand gestures are here to stay. Its apps and developer support that will power this. Without developers and consumers, this will be another Zune. So glad microsoft got this out before apple did.

Motor_Mouth

Banned
Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Why shouldn't it be more than a Surface? It has all the same components as a Surface, plus a custom-built HPU and half-a-dozen extra cameras and sensors. For that reason, and because there is nothing else competing against it, I think it is likely to be at least twice the price of a Surface 3.

DanielJoseph7

Sep 11, 2014
Visit site
Why shouldn't it be more than a Surface? It has all the same components as a Surface, plus a custom-built HPU and half-a-dozen extra cameras and sensors. For that reason, and because there is nothing else competing against it, I think it is likely to be at least twice the price of a Surface 3.

Well you have to think of it as a business standpoint. Entering an entirely new market, that you want to have a large market share of, you have to make it appealing to the average consumer and that includes price point(because everything about HoloLens is appealing). Anyways, the dev kit comes out next month so we'll find out then

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6