Hololens compare to ODG products with spec and video!!

Kronus24

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
Well you should know that Microsoft purchase augmented reality patents from ODG for which was just finalize January 17 2014. Anyway I know a lot of ya want to know more about battery life , display resolution etc. So at CES there is this interview with ODG rep.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyl6TlEJTQA

ODG R-7 Android Smart Glasses.png
ODG R7 Smartglass spec

Remote which I like they also have detachable headphones too.

Break down of the ODG R7 Smartglass
- Display - 2x720p display lens 16x9 ratio(outs a 65in display 10ft away from you)(which has 3d too)
- Battery Life - 1400 mah with all the radios on couple hours(probably 2 hours) watching movies, emailing, reading
books, 5-7 hours
- Price - sub 1,000
- Availability - sometime in 2015( but no concrete date )
- OS - Android 4.4 Kit Kat with there own skin overlay
- Hardware - Snapdragon 805 Quad core 2.7 ghz everything expect cell connection

Another video about the
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jqSWLBIVws
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gm9KdSvs_KM
This video the guys explains about the 3d and that you cant see the pixels as well. She was actually amazed as well hoe good the video and 3d was looking. Which is the same responses as the hololens demo review we been reading

2.png
A pic when she was talking about the 3d map and over head drone display

ODG website ODG - Home

Kronus24

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
So lets talk about the difference between what we know about Hololens and some pros and cons. I do also want to point out again that because Microsoft bought there patents I believe that google would not be able to purchase this company because I sure Microsoft would have added that in the deal as well, hopefully. lol

First I would like to say that I think the direction that Microsoft is going is a device that you wear around work office or at home, not out in public. This you can tell from the size of both device. Which I would say is good because even with ODG glasses low profile with obvious cameras , will not be taking well walking around town. Also Hololens is running windows 10 which would make universal apps work on them, so it should be as easy as adding a few more lins of code to make them work for the glasses. So essential all universal apps or Hololens apps which would create a Large App collection from the start. Assuming the developers *** the require coding. Next, is that Microsoft is running the operation and unlike ODG they are not working directly with Google, it would make getting the word out to developers more difficult. Not including, Hololens is back with a company that has a big bank roll and is working with Nasa to delivery a awesome product. I would like to see Hololens have a small control like ODG glasses fro easyier navigation. But because they have 4 Kinect like cameras on the Hololens its doesn't seem to me that they will go this way. But hopefully I am wrong because navigating meuns, moving through AR worlds, places, etc, would be easier with a joystick of some sort rather the waving my hands around.

So, the big elephant in the room is PRICE, how is Microsoft going to get Hololens price at a way that consumers can purchase in large amounts. Which if the news is correct on the Atom base 14nm(unreleased chip) is powering this unit with a CPU, HPU and GPU. That sounds expensive already but good that it was made In house for more control. Only time will tell, but what I do know is that Microsoft is a great position to really do something special if this is executed correctly. But we need the developers to really get behind this. AR pets, AR museums tours, pets, etc etc. The possibility are endless, the technology is there, its time for Microsoft to regain there throne. :)

Hope ya found my post interesting to read, and to show everyone that the technology is there, and not a pie in the sky.

Kronus24

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
Yes its running Android, voice they have google now that can be added, and yes no hand gesture but the point was to explain about the product that is in the real world and how some of the specs would be in the Hololens. Since Microsoft did by ALL the company patents. Also, I would like to see Hololens have a small clickable finger mouse , etc for ease of use rather then always waving your hands doing AIR TAPS.

PacoBell

Jun 11, 2015
Visit site
no voice and hand gesture. and its android. ;[
It's got a microphone built in and it's supported by Qualcomm's Vuforia platform, so it can definitely track hands. All of that is just a matter of software. And yeah, it's Android, with all the access to Cardboard and other VR/AR apps in the vast Play Store ecosystem. ODG's already stated a ceiling of $1K for their upcoming consumer device. If Microsoft can't beat that, they're sunk, HPU or no.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett