The really exciting potential for HoloLens. If MS doesn't drop the ball.

Juan Stevens

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Ok guys and girls. Try to stick with me. I?m suffering anxiety from HoloLens. This technology is life changing. I?m trying not to worry about Microsoft dropping the ball because of the story about how Satya saw the demo of this technology and told them that their vision was too narrow. That gives me hope. I?m still having flashbacks about how the first tablet was Bill?s pet project but somehow MS dropped it and look what Apple did with it years later. Imagine if MS had stuck with it. I have great confidence in Satya but it?s those nagging things in my mind.

Ok. HoloLens. I?m reading and hearing everyone come up with these grand ideas about the possibilities. My mind is doing the same but I don?t know if people understand how much it can greatly affect what we actually do now. Or augment how we do things. I?m a dev and a photographer. Monitor and TV dimensions are going away. Right now when people view my work, what they see if limited to the dimensions of the screen they view it with. Portrait versus Landscape. That will all go away. It will just be a projected image that will scale perfectly. Something that simple to me is life changing. TV screens without ratios. Hmm. No black bars. Always the perfect size.

They said HoloLens are just universal apps. All current applications could just be supplemented with additional virtual screens. Still play a game on your blazing fast PC with the newest graphics cards but pop up additional virtual screens around with supplemental info. Same with photo editing. Programming. Health care?anything. I know everyone likes to look so far into the future but the changes to just the stuff we do now is immense.

What would I love? First Windows using XAML and skinned. People could develop skins for the Windows UI. And then a skin developed for HoloLens. A replaceable skin that people could change for Windows in HoloLens. Oh my. You develop a virtual room application. Tailored to your room. You develop a 3D clock on your nightstand that ties into Windows 10 clock. Virtual elements in the room that tie into Windows 10. Dunno.

I?m just rambling now. My fingers find it hard to keep up with my thoughts. All this to say this is really exciting stuff. And I hope MS pushes this to every part of MS. Don?t drop the ball.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Ok guys and girls. Try to stick with me. I’m suffering anxiety from HoloLens. This technology is life changing. I’m trying not to worry about Microsoft dropping the ball because of the story about how Satya saw the demo of this technology and told them that their vision was too narrow. That gives me hope. I’m still having flashbacks about how the first tablet was Bill’s pet project but somehow MS dropped it and look what Apple did with it years later. Imagine if MS had stuck with it. I have great confidence in Satya but it’s those nagging things in my mind.

Ok. HoloLens. I’m reading and hearing everyone come up with these grand ideas about the possibilities. My mind is doing the same but I don’t know if people understand how much it can greatly affect what we actually do now. Or augment how we do things. I’m a dev and a photographer. Monitor and TV dimensions are going away. Right now when people view my work, what they see if limited to the dimensions of the screen they view it with. Portrait versus Landscape. That will all go away. It will just be a projected image that will scale perfectly. Something that simple to me is life changing. TV screens without ratios. Hmm. No black bars. Always the perfect size.

They said HoloLens are just universal apps. All current applications could just be supplemented with additional virtual screens. Still play a game on your blazing fast PC with the newest graphics cards but pop up additional virtual screens around with supplemental info. Same with photo editing. Programming. Health care…anything. I know everyone likes to look so far into the future but the changes to just the stuff we do now is immense.

What would I love? First Windows using XAML and skinned. People could develop skins for the Windows UI. And then a skin developed for HoloLens. A replaceable skin that people could change for Windows in HoloLens. Oh my. You develop a virtual room application. Tailored to your room. You develop a 3D clock on your nightstand that ties into Windows 10 clock. Virtual elements in the room that tie into Windows 10. Dunno.

I’m just rambling now. My fingers find it hard to keep up with my thoughts. All this to say this is really exciting stuff. And I hope MS pushes this to every part of MS. Don’t drop the ball.

I totally agree! Hololens, if like you say, they don't "drop the ball", has huge potential. I like your idea of re-skinning windows. Imagine a holographic Windows Explorer! (File Explorer) where we could just "flick" gesture through our files on our hard drives. Would make organizing folders of pictures or whatever a breeze... and definitely would be a whole new way of looking at things.. Literally! All of the ideas we've been hearing this week, while brilliant, are just the beginning... We haven't even scratched the surface of what's possible...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99