what could be the estimated battery life?

onysi

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
assuming they'll place the battery on the sides, its like 2 cellphone batteries, so that could easily be 14 hours of continuous use.
then again its like a laptop, and laptop usually like 10hrs. if its the same size as surface pro 3, it could be 8-9 hrs. standby would be 12.

did they mention the bttery size yet?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It's unprecedented.

I don't think they have the space for a laptop-grade pack in there, how much load is this holographic stuff going to put on the hardware?
etc

I don't think we can really do much more than start hurling numbers around.

runamuck83

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I think one could speculate that MS is probably hoping to get at least 2-3 hours of "active use" out of the device. This isn't something you're going to be wearing on your head 24/7 or carrying around with you outside the house. You'll use it to play a game, make a call, maybe watch a movie, etc.

I think bare minimum would be 2 hours would be acceptable due to the nature of the device.

Motor_Mouth

Banned
Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Maybe you won't be wearing yours outside the house but I plan on carrying mine everywhere with me. I don't see how I'd look any more like a **** than someone wearing mirrored Ray-Bans or Oakleys and a pair of Beats headphones and I don't think I'd look as much like a **** as the hundreds of idiots you see every day walking down the street staring down at their phones. I'm not suggesting I would wear mine while walking down the street but I'd definitely want to use it when I was sitting on a train or bus, anywhere I might currently take out my 8" tablet. If it comes with 4G, I'll want it to replace both my tablet and phone, so I'll be looking for all-day battery life, even if that means carrying a battery pack to recharge from.

runamuck83

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Maybe you won't be wearing yours outside the house but I plan on carrying mine everywhere with me. I don't see how I'd look any more like a **** than someone wearing mirrored Ray-Bans or Oakleys and a pair of Beats headphones and I don't think I'd look as much like a **** as the hundreds of idiots you see every day walking down the street staring down at their phones. I'm not suggesting I would wear mine while walking down the street but I'd definitely want to use it when I was sitting on a train or bus, anywhere I might currently take out my 8" tablet. If it comes with 4G, I'll want it to replace both my tablet and phone, so I'll be looking for all-day battery life, even if that means carrying a battery pack to recharge from.

Will it even work outside??? Seems like an indoor only situation based on the lighting

Motor_Mouth

Banned
Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Will it even work outside??? Seems like an indoor only situation based on the lighting
I worked on a product video for these guys who were developing something more like Google Glass and their prototype worked perfectly well when looking out the window into bright sunshine. Yes, the colour gets washed out - it is the exact effect of changing a layer in Photoshop to "Add" blending mode, which is how we did the video - but the only thing that would completely kill it is something like a white wall with the sun shining directly on it. I was quite amazed how well it worked, even when we were faking it in After Effects, and HoloLens seems to have a tinted outer glass which means you should always be able to see its display, even in full sunlight. It's that tinted glass that makes me think it is designed to work outdoors.

calfee20

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
My daughter is a Dentist and she recently got a headlight for her headset.
market_gallery_image.jpg
She has a power pack in a back or side pocket. A power pack with a belt clip should also be fine. Personally I would rather have the weight off of my head.

Attachments

• market_cat_1.jpg
    market_cat_1.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 27

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
hopefully they use replaceable batteries. can make money off them as accessories. you also don't have to worry about having to pay exorbitant replacement fees like with internal batteries. And you can have batteries in use while you charge a spare.

I'm going to guess 3 hours. It is a PC after all with not much space for big batteries (no one is going to wear a 3 pound headset except for gamers).

grahamf

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Honestly I don't know. I think it needs to last at least two hours, but I think I would keep mine plugged in most of the time if the cord doesn't get in the way.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leviwilkersion