With hololens, other physical form factor devices could possibly become obsolete

One day i strongly feel hololens will become Microsoft's one and only hardware product!

The Hololens has the potential to be
    your gaming pc/console
    desktop PC
    tablet replacement
    and smartphone replacement

All in one device!

By the 3rd,4th, or 5th Gen Hololens it could be mainstream, advanced enough and have enough people developing for it that it could replace all the things that Microsoft makes...One device to rule them all, alongside an OS to rule them all...

You could play Hololens specific games or just PC games in a holographic window ( Holo-window)from as small as a phone to as large as your whole wall
    You could open any PC application up in a "Holo-window" wherever you want in any size
    open up windows store apps and use them at any size you want
    Maybe one day it'll be sim compatible and you can answer calls with it!

Maybe even one day we'll be able to feel some type of feedback directly to our hands/fingers from holgraphs we touch/interact with!

I think this is what could and what I predict will happen as hololens gets more advanced and even more important AFFORDABLE
    05-16-2015 03:12 PM
    I disagree. I mean, I agree that the HoloLens has the potential to replace all of those things, but I don't think it's a practical outcome.

The HoloLens will be great to use at home, work, or school. Maybe in some social settings. But I don't think we can expect to see people wearing and using it in public going about life, they way they use their phones or things like Band. The lesson of the failed Google Glass project was that walking around in public with a device on your head, and interacting with things nobody else can see or hear, is dorky and ridiculous looking (to be frank). Did you ever see anybody outside of Google and its early adopters ever treat Glass as anything but a joke? It's almost enough to make me feel bad for the design team.

I think Microsoft is on the right track by focusing on productivity rather than HoloLens as a casual wearable device.
    bo_woods likes this.
    05-16-2015 04:15 PM
    I don't think so. i think the Hololens will eventually be replaced by an implant and THAT will replace other devices, but not all. You will still need servers and special-purpose computing devices (like a GPU setup for gaming)
    05-17-2015 08:39 AM
    HoloLens already has a GPU and an HPU and everything it needs to do it needs to do like a gaming rig, in that it is all 3D. As technology marches forward and CPU/GPU gets more powerful and smaller, HoloLens will just get better and better. I reckon that Hololens 10.0 will probably just look like a pair of wrap-around sunglasses, like Oakley Radar, and will run all day on a 5 minute charge. 18 year-olds in 2025 will never have used a smartphone in their lives and will barely remember what they looked like.

The problem with implants is that they are not easily upgraded. Once it is stuck inside you, you are not going to be buying a new one in a hurry. Big companies like Apple and Microsoft will not like that, as their enormous revenue streams rely on you upgrading every couple of years. The other thing with implants is that you cannot show them off to your friends and if you don't think that is a huge part of modern culture, you are very nave. Implants make for great sci-fi but they don't really fit in with any kind of current reality.
    05-17-2015 07:30 PM
    HoloLens already has a GPU and an HPU and everything it needs to do it needs to do like a gaming rig, in that it is all 3D. As technology marches forward and CPU/GPU gets more powerful and smaller, HoloLens will just get better and better. I reckon that Hololens 10.0 will probably just look like a pair of wrap-around sunglasses, like Oakley Radar, and will run all day on a 5 minute charge. 18 year-olds in 2025 will never have used a smartphone in their lives and will barely remember what they looked like.

The problem with implants is that they are not easily upgraded. Once it is stuck inside you, you are not going to be buying a new one in a hurry. Big companies like Apple and Microsoft will not like that, as their enormous revenue streams rely on you upgrading every couple of years. The other thing with implants is that you cannot show them off to your friends and if you don't think that is a huge part of modern culture, you are very nave. Implants make for great sci-fi but they don't really fit in with any kind of current reality.
    Assuming virtual reality implants could not provide some sort of virtual object that people could show off XD
    05-17-2015 07:57 PM