Is Oculus Rift chasing Hololens?

calfee20

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I never really followed any of this virtual reality stuff until Hololens so if I am off base on anything please excuse me.

It seams Oculus has made a purchase to help it map out the surrounding area. This is something that Hololens does all the time in the course of it's use. Has Hololens made Oculus obsolete even before it has been released? I thought they were two different technologies that would each have their place but it seems Oculus is trying to duplicate some of Hololens's features.

Facebook's Oculus buys computer vision startup to help the Rift understand the world | GamesBeat | Games | by Jeff Grubb

grahamf

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I never really followed any of this virtual reality stuff until Hololens so if I am off base on anything please excuse me.

It seams Oculus has made a purchase to help it map out the surrounding area. This is something that Hololens does all the time in the course of it's use. Has Hololens made Oculus obsolete even before it has been released? I thought they were two different technologies that would each have their place but it seems Oculus is trying to duplicate some of Hololens's features.

Facebook's Oculus buys computer vision startup to help the Rift understand the world | GamesBeat | Games | by Jeff Grubb

They are completely different, and I don't know how useful Oculus' AR addons will be. Hololens doesn't obsure your vision and just overlays stuff on top of what you see, but Oculus would have to shunt what it sees to a computer, who then figures out how to add it to the video screen. It will be handy for overlaying a grid so you don't run into things in the real world, but iirc that's already being done.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)