Could a Hololens 2.0 use a curved screen to get 100% FoV?

grahamf

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
The reason why the Hololens doesn't have a complete FoV is because a flat screen would start getting to far from the eye and too much of an angle to be effective. But would a curved screen work? I'm worried that the screen would have to alter depending on the wearer's eyes which would be a bit problematic.

Penguwin

VR Expert
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
The reason why the Hololens doesn't have a complete FoV is because a flat screen would start getting to far from the eye and too much of an angle to be effective. But would a curved screen work? I'm worried that the screen would have to alter depending on the wearer's eyes which would be a bit problematic.
I do not currently know enough about the Hololens' inner workings to say for sure, but I imagine the FoV problem comes from a variety of issues. The screen / medium is a problem sure, but I would guess that whatever projection technology they are using also has its limitations and is part of the FoV issue as well.

As with most things, especially technology, it's not just finding a solution... It's finding one that is cost-efficient and scalable that ends up being the real problem.

anon(8141431)

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I think the hololens processor might be too weak to create a higher FoV since the larger heavier prototypes had better FoV. But I also think that it's something that can be improved by connecting to high end PC.
Remember , the spacial sensing/mixed reality aspect of the hololens is made possible by a new HPU processor that they had to invented. It is literally a version 0.1 product.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiannonbarion