I watched Intel's Keynote last night and they introduced a product that has similarities to Hololens. What do you think? Oh and it is available today!

Here's an Intel-powered smart hard hat with thermal vision
    01-06-2016 09:13 AM
    Looks like it uses a translucent lcd or maybe a 2D projector. Not the same.
    01-06-2016 07:17 PM
    Did you see the Intel keynote? It overlaid images on the pipes and valves to show the direction of the flow. It looked similar to me. It looked a little like a demo that MS could have made to demo the usefulness of the HoloLens.
    01-06-2016 11:46 PM
    Just looking at the link you listed, I would say it looks more like a Google Glass substitute (one with more functionality and goes over the eye) rather than a hololens substitute.
    01-07-2016 12:09 AM
    Did you see the Intel keynote? It overlaid images on the pipes and valves to show the direction of the flow. It looked similar to me. It looked a little like a demo that MS could have made to demo the usefulness of the HoloLens.
    I saw the pictures you linked to. I'm not interested in watching the keynote. The pictures show no depth to the overlay, indicating is is a simple 2D image projected onto a transparent screen. Lining up the dotted line with the pipe would at best only involve sliding and warping the image so that it matches the position of the visor compared to the pipes.

Hololense, on the other hand, is effectively beaming lasers into your eyes to project 3d models that are being locked to physical locations. The laser beaming allows the models to match your focus (near models look blurry when focused on far things and vice versa) The difference between the two is literally the difference between a flat-screen tv and looking out the window. You have not seen anything like it and won't until you actually pick up a hololens (or a clone, when they finally come out). This is completely new display tech that has never been seen or used before, and I didn't even know it existed until the Hololens was announced. This is the impossible made possible, and it will be a shock to everyone when they first try it out.

The Intel demo I could basically put together myself with a picoprojector and a piece of glass with a reflective coating.

Not the same thing.
    01-09-2016 12:44 AM
    There is a Zdnet article today that mentions this hard hat and they list it as an augmented reality device.

AR and VR: The future of work and play? | ZDNet

capture.png
    02-02-2016 10:17 AM
    Just an over-sized version of Google Glass, don't worry.
    04-08-2016 12:58 PM