Purchased Lumia 535 absolutely regretting it!!

Cheeky Ghosty

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
I'll swap ya for me spare 520 I have lying around, it's a great phone, it's me phone I take on the slopes snowboarding and stuff coz don't care if I trash it. Can't fault it for the price and that 535 is supposedly better and cheaper (compared to the 520 when it was new)

Smiggyy

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
Kept my 520 too for similar reasons, albeit soccer in my case ( would've said football but our overseas cousins use that word for their body armoured version of rugby!) and nights on the town!

Jakez98

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
These people who have responded above clearly haven't owned a Lumia 535 before. If you have purchased one, you would know that it is a widespread issue.

I bought one for my little sister as a Christmas present only to discover that the touchscreen has some serious issue. Whenever your finger touches the lower portion of the screen during scrolling or using the handwriting recognition keyboard, it results in a mistap or it fails to recognize your handwriting.

Before anyone claim that I got a faulty unit, hear this: I returned it to the store the next day, and the staff said that this is a known issue (he has sold 3 units before me), and after trying 3 other brand new Lumia 535, he gave up and said he'll give me a full refund. After that, I contacted Microsoft Malaysia's Facebook page and I was told that a software update is coming to fix the issue.

Capture.JPG

abelnorchis

Oct 3, 2014
Visit site
Bought 535 last friday, returned to the store today and substituted it with a Lumia 625. My god, what a difference! 535 screen seems to be for real a piece of plastic, the touch is full of lags and imprecision. In every sms or whatsapp I can report at least 3 or 4 retyping, due to errors. Games are not so bad, depending on which one you are playing. Bow shooting games are impossible. The sim code pin frequently need a retyping too.
Imho, Microsoft first phone is a bad step.

Smiggyy

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
Bought 535 last friday, returned to the store today and substituted it with a Lumia 625. My god, what a difference! 535 screen seems to be for real a piece of plastic, the touch is full of lags and imprecision. In every sms or whatsapp I can report at least 3 or 4 retyping, due to errors. Games are not so bad, depending on which one you are playing. Bow shooting games are impossible. The sim code pin frequently need a retyping too.
Imho, Microsoft first phone is a bad step.

Unlucky! I have nothing but praise for my unit, from battery strength to wifi range.
I updated my phone to latest version of DP and now have no issues with screen at all.

abelnorchis

Oct 3, 2014
Visit site
Unlucky! I have nothing but praise for my unit, from battery strength to wifi range.
I updated my phone to latest version of DP and now have no issues with screen at all.

Ok. But, when you update your phone to the DP, don't you avoid your warranty? If I remember, in Italy, Nokia center refuse DP phones (if they realized it :wink: ). And last, but not least, the DP is a alfa or beta version of the software. If there is a problem or a bug with it, you can't turn back and you have to wait for the final release. Am I right?

abelnorchis

Oct 3, 2014
Visit site
Thought warranty was for the hardware not the software?
Depend on your country policy, I believe. By the way, the procedure to install a DP is not a conventionally way to upgrade the system. A brand new product have to be fully functional before launch it on market.
EDITED: Red the italian policy. Ok, now I know that you don't avoid warranty after a DP install. But I don't want to risk a bugged system installation (some bug could be present in DP). This because after a DP install, "You CANNOT REVERT to a prior OS version once you have taken an update via this program" (Microsoft App MArket).
I can't wait for an upgrade from Microsoft. I want my phone working well after first start.

Hmmm.. My friend bought a Lumia 535, but he did not faced any issue like this. And the touch screen is not plasticky, its same as my 630.

You have to use one, for a couple of days. And use an "old" Nokia Lumia at the same time. You can see the difference in every moment.

Last edited:

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
But I don't want to risk a bugged system installation (some bug could be present in DP). This because after a DP install, "You CANNOT REVERT to a prior OS version once you have taken an update via this program" (Microsoft App MArket).
We're kind of getting off topic here, but this is not entirely correct. If you have a 535 you can always use Nokia's Tools to flash your phone back to a previous ROM version (search the site for more info). That may take half an hour to setup and complete, but it is possible.

Last edited:

abelnorchis

Oct 3, 2014
Visit site
We're kind of getting off topic here, but this is not entirely correct. If you have a 535 you can always use Nokia's Tools to flash your phone back to a previous ROM version (search the site for more info). That may take half an hour to setup and complete, but it is possible.

Ok. Don't know about that possibility. The phrase: "You CANNOT REVERT to a prior OS version once you have taken an update via this program" is copied/pasted from the app Preview for Developer in Microsoft Market.
Preview for Developers | Store di app e giochi per Windows Phone (Italia)

Smiggyy

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
Flashing via Nokia recovery tool will revert back to stock ROM however updating via any DP update will not allow you to undo that update by ,means of an uninstall.
Have done the above numerous times with my 520 and recently a couple of 530's and units had been updated via DP.

Audigy

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
What I don't understand is the apparent lack of urgency in them for fixing the problem and release an update... Ok we already know that they are working on it, but as confirmed, the latest DP doesn't have the touch problems so they already have the fix in their hands.

In the mean time the sales of 535 decline and I can imagine that the percentage of returns caused by this problem is quite high. Being the first Microsoft branded WP device, I find difficult to comprehend this lack of action. With the Christmas holidays starting, there is a strong possibility that the update will only appear after new year's eve. In the mean time people are buying these devices and complaining/returning, giving a bad name to Microsoft and WP. With their quota of only 3% VS 12% of iOS and 83% of Android, how can they let this happen? They need to show and convince they are better than the competitors...

Audigy

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
You can fix the problem (touch screen) by using the Lumia Recovery Tool, the fixed firmware is already available through the tool.

Thanks for the advice! I can report that it's fixed! Nonetheless I think that there is still room for improvement, mainly in the precision. You can clearly feel it stuttering a bit while dragging the finger in a continuous motion(easily seen while scrolling on the app panel), and as soon you remove the finger it returns to a buttery smooth motion.

535ToolFix.png

You can download the Lumia Recovery Tool front here: FAQ - How can I recover/reset/restore my phone software? - Microsoft - USA

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janecruise