What to do first on NEW LUMIA 535? Update?

Dr Sammy

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
Hi all, Im a windows mobile fan, I'm currently using Lumia 720.
I purchased a Lumia 535 Online, which I will be getting today/tomorrow.
I want to know what to do after unboxing.... Should I update the mobile directly?
I'm asking this because if the recent updates to 535 are working fine.... Should I update it directly? Is that the first thing to do?
(I used DEV preview before on 720 and downgraded it with Nokia Recovery Tool, now using Denim)

Kindly advise me about the update thing. :smile:

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Hi all, Im a windows mobile fan, I'm currently using Lumia 720.
I purchased a Lumia 535 Online, which I will be getting today/tomorrow.
I want to know what to do after unboxing.... Should I update the mobile directly?
I'm asking this because if the recent updates to 535 are working fine.... Should I update it directly? Is that the first thing to do?
(I used DEV preview before on 720 and downgraded it with Nokia Recovery Tool, now using Denim)

Kindly advise me about the update thing. :smile:

I've got a L535, too, as a temporary phone while my L1020 is being repaired... and the first thing I did was to check for updates. You don't need to enroll your phone under the Preview for Developers Program since you would most likely want to receive "official" updates for this phone, especially because of the known and inherent touch screen issue. Those updates improved the reliability of the touch screen compared to its out-of-the box state.

If I remember correctly, since the day I bought the phone, I've received three updates... the most recent being a firmware update. My OS version now is 8.10.14234.375 and my firmware (latest) version is 02063.00000.15114.43004 (the last five digits may vary depending on what variant of the L535 you have, but you should at least receive 15114 or 15053.

You may read about the latest firmware update and what other users are finding about it here. Basically, it seems that only those with the Dual SIM variant are experiencing "further" improvements with the touch screen reliability.

Nonetheless, I think it would be best to grab the latest (non-preview updates) updates that you can as soon as you receive your phone.:angel:

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Apologies for casting dark clouds here.

Try not to do what I did.
Be ready to return the phone if the touch screen shows any signs of delay or unresponsiveness.

Frankly as a disappointed user I wouldn't hold a lot of faith in the firmware updates.
My 535 got worse over time.
I should have returned the phone I received within the allowed 14 day return window.

One small tip: after recieving the device hard reset before setting up.

Good luck I'm hoping you have a great experience with the 535.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I second Guytronic's advice - hard reset first, install the updates after - it's safer that way, especially if there's a chance that the phone has been already opened before which is a possibility with certain online stores. I should mention that I skipped hard resetting my L535 since it was in a sealed package when I bought it.

Let us know when it arrives, and your first impressions about it. Hopefully they're good ones.:cool:

Dr Sammy

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
Thanks guys, I followed your suggestion, I felt the device is an untouched one, but still went ahead with hard reset (buttons are completely different from Lumia 720), I have lot of experience with Lumia 720, since I use it daily and like to make comparisions with it in this post.

First, touch issue --- I felt touch would be a big problem, since I didnt want Nokia devices (I love them), and 640 siblings, so I pretty much had Lumia 535 as the only choice. Now, if I scale touch sensitivity of L720 10 out of 10, I will rate 535 as 7/8 out of 10, So, you can see that touch aint that bad as reviews said, or may be the update worked well, still there are slight issues, like sometimes I have to hit the key like I used to do on a feature phone. But still ok.....Touch issue is an expected thing. But overall, 8/10.

Next unexpected thing is Battery --- the device took 'a little over 3 hours to go from 0 to 100%', I dont know which charger MS has equipped with 535, But on L 720 using a Nokia AC-60 (bought additionally), the charging gets done in 90-95minutes from Nil to 100%. So, if I compare that experience to today's ....thats a double amount of time.
I have a Nokia Dc-19 Universal Portable Usb Charger, which can come handy sometimes.

The specs are good for an entry level smartphone, I added few 720p videos, they play fantastically no problem at all, will check with 1080p later.
5x5x5 is the best part apart from 1GB RAM n Processor.
Im sure a 1905mah battery is gonna go great as windows consumes less of it. Thanks to this wonderful OS.
And yes, Cortana works very well.
Overall, Lumia 535 is a fantastic buy, if you are looking for sub 8,000 INR or lets say 10,000 INR.

Thanks a lot guys again for quick replies, I really appreciate that. :) Cheers :)

IkeVeles

Apr 1, 2015
Visit site
The specs are good for an entry level smartphone, I added few 720p videos, they play fantastically no problem at all, will check with 1080p later.

How did you play a 720p video? I tried playing a 720p.mkv video with VLC and it lagged a bit. A slight lag at every 10 seconds or so.
You don't have ANY lags at all? I'm guessing I'm doing something wrong since I have lags playing 720p videos. I'm not even trying to play 1080p videos since I know they are going to lag a lot.

My lumia 535 plays HDTV (480p) files smoothly.

Dr Sammy

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
In 535, I played with the default video player, it plays smoothly.
if at all I move the cursor to certain point in the video, it plays quickly in a fraction of second. I feel thats a good case with 720p scenario.

I think VLC is kinda poor in my Lumia 720, so I stick to the default player, the fonts arent great, but thats not the point, it plays videos well.
Gotta try MX.

IkeVeles

Apr 1, 2015
Visit site
The default player wont play .mkv files though. And every other 720p that isn't mkv isn't really 720p. They are all scaled and redone...

v535

Mar 26, 2015
Visit site
@Dr.Sammy: You're lucky you haven't faced touch issues. While comparing L535 to other android phones/MS Lumia touch responsiveness is poor while charging and also during normal use.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb