Want to update Lumia 535 to Windows 10, what will happen to my data when I do?

swatib

Feb 9, 2016
Visit site
want to update lumia 535 to windows 10

i have lumia 535. want to update it OS to windows 10. want to know if its easy to update it to 10 and if the data and apps will be as it is after update? ex. if the whatsapp msgs will be lost or i will have the whatsapp as it was before installation. also if the update will not be sucessful if i can get 8.1 back?

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Re: want to update lumia 535 to windows 10

1. Upgrading to Windows 10 Mobile at the moment (for those reading in the future, check the date of this post!) can be done through the Windows Insider Program - just download the app, follow the steps, check for updates, then wait (for around 2-3hours) for everything to download and install.

2. In my experience with my sister's L535, all app data were preserved from Windows Phone 8.1 to Windows 10 Mobile.

3. Here's the tricky part: since you mentioned "update will not be successful", that could mean a lot of things. If the upgrade was not successful because something went wrong, or you interrupted the upgrade, or your phone lost battery power, or the phone slipped from your table because the charging cable was snagged by a foot such that the battery was removed from the phone upon hitting the floor - then most probably you won't even be able to boot your phone again. In that case, you may try using the Windows Device Recovery Tool since that would be your best chance of reviving your phone.

swatib

Feb 9, 2016
Visit site

that means there is no problem other than charging of the mobile for updating to windows 10? windows 10 update are available for lumia 535?

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site

It's easy with the Insider app and (if there are no hiccup's) your data and apps stay untouched. To go back to 8.1 you need to have the WDRT ( windows device recovery tool).
Before you install W10 on your phone be sure that you have the WDRT installed and working on your PC. ( During the roll back from W10 to 8.1 the apps and data on your phone will be erased).
But the warning in the Insider app is not for nothing. Things can go wrong.
BUT because you have to ask how/what to do I would not advice you to update your phone to W10.
But if you still want to do it be sure you have stable WiFi, your battery does not run flat during the update (keep it connected to the charger), have patience (it can take some time so do not start to "push" buttons during the update process) and be sure you understand the risk. (It NEARLY always works but you COULD loose your data/phone).

swatib

Feb 9, 2016
Visit site

i dont have any problem if i loose data. but i love my phone i dont wanna losse it...

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site

does anyone have experience of updating windows 10 to lumia 535?

Yes.. I have upgraded my sister's Lumia 535 to Windows 10 and nothing went wrong. That's what my advice in post #2 is based on.

Now, I'm going to side with Harrie-S - if you're so weary about upgrading your device to Windows 10, then probably you should just wait for the official update to be released. Re-read Harrie's last sentence - there are risks. The chances of something wrong going on is very small at this point in time, but still there is a chance.

To illustrate, the chance of getting killed by a meteorite is very very very small (smaller than the chance of breaking your phone from an update), but it just happened a few days ago in India. The same goes with updating your phone (or any device), or riding an airplane, or crossing the street.

swatib

Feb 9, 2016
Visit site

hi
i have started the installation of windows 10. it still shows where less white line at the time of installtion. its normal right?
how much time will it take?

swatib

Feb 9, 2016
Visit site
it takes lot time but update of windows 10 is available for lumia 535. 1hr of the installation was hatric for me. lots of tension. but finally the installation is completed. i m in the step of "migrating data"

xtremez

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

So far it is quite safe, only failed on me once and that was human error on my part.

Just advice to leave it charging as it would take some time to finish updating

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

anuragm123

May 9, 2016
Visit site
I have another mobile I want to ugrade windo 10 in Lumia 535. so I want to ask you that how many approximate data reacharge in another mobile for connecting Wi-Fi

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss