(UK) Christmas Present - Software Issue

rplyons

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Howdy,

I bought my dad a Lumia 550 for Christmas to replace his tired Lumia 720 (not many of those chucking about).

However, since taking it out the box it has failed to:

a) Download/Update via Windows Store, and
b) Advance beyond 0% for the downloading of Update 10.0.10586.29

Anyone got knowledge behind this before I end up returning it?

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Is this an initial setup or is this an update? I have had the same happen to me as well, but it did eventually install. I'm not sure if it could be a Win 10 mobile thing, since I have also seen posts from 950 owners with the same experience.

fantomv50

Dec 28, 2015
Visit site
Got wife one over Xmas, pain in the backside, update took forever to do, some sites say leave it on charge.

Took over 30 minster to do, even on 152mb cable Internet. Close most apps down and just leave on.
It took very long time to get off the 0%

Another we are getting is
keeps saying phone settings have changed or sim change, please restart phone to update.
Plus sometimes when coming out of calls the on screen goes to contact list then buttons stop working and only fix is to turn screen off and on again.

Could be why they are knocking them out at ?50 at most shops.

rplyons

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
libra99, here is the current setup 'out the box':

Current OS Build: 10.0.10586.0
Current Firmware: 01078.00017.15461.48010
Firmware Update Notifier: 1.2.16.7
Variant: 000-GB

The software update I am trying to install is the very first one since Christmas Day, which so far hasn't even tried to download :-/

rplyons

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
fantomv50, that's really worrying! I have a Lumia 950 myself and the issues that my dad is experiencing with his 550 are bonkers; mine never had any of these issues.

S'what happens when Microsoft wants to release the new phones on the new OS, but don't listen to their programmers when they tell them "it won't be ready" - I have no doubt they've been under a lot of pressure, and continue to do so

rplyons

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Right, here's my new problem:
I recently posted a thread whereby my dad's Lumia 550 Christmas Present was refusing to update and, after going through the rather poor 'official' procedure to fix it (Reset phone), I then did a separate step after this and used the Windows Device Recovery Tool to physically re-install the original software...phone still wouldn't update.
So the phone is defective and is being returned to Microsoft.
HOWEVER, as I have (had) a fully-working Lumia 550 I decided to simply swap my working 550 for my dad's poorly 550 so that Christmas present could be fixed...NOOOOOOO!
After performing a Reset of my Lumia 550 it now will not proceed any further than a Blue Screen stating "BitLocker recovery" and to recover the drive on the phone - I now have 2 broken Lumia 550s.
The Windows Device Recovery Tool does not detect it and I am unable to proceed any further with resetting my own broken Lumia 550...

rplyons

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Blimey, by the grace of persistence I managed to get the Windows Device Recovery Tool to FINALLY detect it just long enough to restore it - now back to 1 broken 550 and 1 working 550...just!

I think it's safe to say, that Microsoft has made W10M less broken on the 950/950 XL than on the 550

rplyons

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Either way, my confidence in Microsoft's future as an OS is sadly diminishing; may look at the Samsung Galaxy S7 when it's released and move over to Android - as much as I love the One Windows approach, they've released unfinished software onto the market and it's caused a Christmas calamity

rplyons

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
...RIGHT, permission to cry please - my former-working Restored Lumia 550 after over-coming the BSoD BitLocker screen is now ALSO not updating its software or downloading from the Windows Store.

Back to 2 broken Lumia 550s and a set of official step-by-step instructions that simply tell me to keep resetting my phone until fixed...fan*******tastic

Eustis99

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
That's rather odd. I got my guy in and I saw the update. I plugged her in and it downloaded and installed pretty quickly. Also I saw the thirty plus app updates, all of which installed quickly. She's been running like a champ since. The only issue I've had which is nothing to do with the phone itself is the garbage Facebook app lol

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss