Using the 550 as a SatNav

Adam McVeigh

Oct 14, 2015
Visit site
Same old story as many other people. Trying to decide between 550 and 640.

Can any 550 users tell me, please, how well the processor runs the maps when you're driving? That's all that really matters to me - sit the phone in the holder of my car and use it as a SatNav to my appointments, take it in with me, make some calls, leave, phone back in holder and act as a SatNav back home again. I've checked the navigation specs, and I see that it should in theory run perfectly fine for the job, but just concerned about it stuttering through map directions as I'm traveling. So I was hoping to get feedback from owners who have used it for this purpose?

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I have used the 550 for navigation before for about a 15 minute drive. Before doing that, I made a phone call, and I had no issues. It was a easy transition from ending the phone call to finding a location and having voice directions on how to get there. I don't recall the phone getting hot really when I did that.

I have used both the 550 and 640 for navigation and I don't recall any differences in performance between the two while doing that. Never mind what some on the forums might say, but HERE Drive/Maps is basically Microsoft Maps, because they use the same data.

chancooluk

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
The biggest problem is not processor speed, but the quality of the maps app.

On the 640 there is HERE Drive, which is a mature app with only a few issues.

The 550 also uses HERE map data, but you cannot use HERE Drive. Instead you must use the built in maps app. At the moment it's a bit of a mess, it regularly crashes, and there are many bugs. This isn't just a problem on the 550, it also affects the high end 950/950XL.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
The biggest problem is not processor speed, but the quality of the maps app.

On the 640 there is HERE Drive, which is a mature app with only a few issues.

The 550 also uses HERE map data, but you cannot use HERE Drive. Instead you must use the built in maps app. At the moment it's a bit of a mess, it regularly crashes, and there are many bugs. This isn't just a problem on the 550, it also affects the high end 950/950XL.
That's really interesting. I didn't have any issues with voice navigation from the app itself, but I believe it will improve over time for sure.

Adam McVeigh

Oct 14, 2015
Visit site
Thank you both for the feedback. It seems that it is worth a try, and I'll keep in mind any potential app crashes.

Just one final question. My wife is using a 635, and I presently have a 735. On my device, the Nav bar can be swiped off the screen (from the home screen and apps that allow the action) but with the 635 it's permanently on the screen. I haven't been able to find any reviews that talk about that feature on the 550, does it allow the Nav bar to be removed like my 735 does?

chancooluk

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Thank you both for the feedback. It seems that it is worth a try, and I'll keep in mind any potential app crashes.

Just one final question. My wife is using a 635, and I presently have a 735. On my device, the Nav bar can be swiped off the screen (from the home screen and apps that allow the action) but with the 635 it's permanently on the screen. I haven't been able to find any reviews that talk about that feature on the 550, does it allow the Nav bar to be removed like my 735 does?

Yes, the nav bar can be swiped off the screen on the 550, but a limitation of Windows 10 means that the nav bar cannot be swiped away when using apps developed for WP7 or WP8 (such as eBay or Windows Central).

The nav bar can be swiped away in all W10 apps though, and most games.

Your 735 will have the same imitation when you upgrade to W10M.

Paul Williams12

Feb 8, 2016
Visit site
Having bought 2 of these phones I can confirm that the Lumia 550 doesn't work as a SATNAV. The reported position and speed of the vehicle are way out as soon as the vehicle moves. It's either an issue with the GPS/CPU hardware or more likely the included Windows 10 MAPS software being too slow so as to keep up with the movement of the vehicle. For example it tells you to turn left at a motorway junction that you've passed half a mile back and when you stop it says you're doing 70mph.
I've sent both phones back as Here Drive isn't available for Windows 10 mobile. It's a pity as otherwise it's a good phone and good value for money.
We've got a Lumia 535 with Here Drive and it functions well as a Satnav so it looks as though it's a software issue.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Having bought 2 of these phones I can confirm that the Lumia 550 doesn't work as a SATNAV. The reported position and speed of the vehicle are way out as soon as the vehicle moves. It's either an issue with the GPS/CPU hardware or more likely the included Windows 10 MAPS software being too slow so as to keep up with the movement of the vehicle. For example it tells you to turn left at a motorway junction that you've passed half a mile back and when you stop it says you're doing 70mph.
I've sent both phones back as Here Drive isn't available for Windows 10 mobile. It's a pity as otherwise it's a good phone and good value for money.
We've got a Lumia 535 with Here Drive and it functions well as a Satnav so it looks as though it's a software issue.

Here Drive is now available for Windows 10 mobile, but considering that you have dealt with two, I can't say I blame you for not wanting to give it a whirl (again).

jglen_TNA

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site

jglen_TNA

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site

I've used mine as a satnav and had no issues with positioning and speed, just with the app hanging and the voice navigation being as loud as an asthmatic mouse.

Paul Williams12

Feb 8, 2016
Visit site
Well, I?d buy yours from you but our cat might go for it. Maybe I bought mine from a bad batch direct from Microsoft store. Other comments from users suggest updating to the latest Win10 OS but I did all that anyway. :unhappy:

evdel

Dec 12, 2015
Visit site
Well tried the 550 as satnav and i am very happy with it. Using the MS maps or the Here drive app does not really made any difference. Both wotk great but Here is a little more intuitive i guess.
YMMV there ;)

patcherd

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
Good to hear about the satnav as I just bought my second 550. This time it has been a much better experience with the latest updates.
Got this as a backup but I hope to use it more as a primary phone.

Paul Williams12

Feb 8, 2016
Visit site
I don't know how you're able to get HERE drive - it's NOT available in the windows 10 STORE - you must be making that up unless you've got Windows 8. I decided to listen to the ones saying the MAPS Satnavs function is OK and bought a THIRD Lumia 550 phone. What a mistake that was: it worked for a week and I was really pleased with it then it reverted to the infuriating piece of junk that it is and reported my speed and position way out again after the car moved. Can you honestly say you've tested it properly?

Paul Williams14

Apr 18, 2016
Visit site
I reset my Lumia phone and it now works as a Satnav. So it's a software issue as when the MAPS app crashed before and it stopped working properly and never worked again.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans