Lumia 550, not able to download apps and update + phone getting really warm, what is going on?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Lumia 550, not able to download apps and update + phone getting really warm

I got a 550 today and started to play around with it. Let's just say that things haven't been going well.

Firstly, I can't download apps AT ALL. They just get stuck on pending and leaving it alone for a bit doesn't help either. My mobile network is 4G in terms of speed so no problems there. And my wifi is 150/150 so it cannot be the internet speed nor access.

There is an update available, but the download just stays on 0 %. Why oh why.

The phone gets really warm to the point of holding it being uncomfortable. If anyone has any tips, please let me know.

Thanks.

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
I got a 550 today and started to play around with it. Let's just say that things haven't been going well.

Firstly, I can't download apps AT ALL. They just get stuck on pending and leaving it alone for a bit doesn't help either. My mobile network is 4G in terms of speed so no problems there. And my wifi is 150/150 so it cannot be the internet speed nor access.

There is an update available, but the download just stays on 0 %. Why oh why.

The phone gets really warm to the point of holding it being uncomfortable. If anyone has any tips, please let me know.

Thanks.

A silly question, but with both not working, have you set up a Microsoft account?

You say that you are using 4G / wifi for store and updates. Have you been into settings and had a look at mobile data / WiFi sense. Some downloads won't happen on mobile data due to their large size unless you set it up to do so. The update waiting is also due to this. Does the screen say 'will download when WiFi available'?

That's all I can think off that is stopping you from updating. I think it's a precautionary measure as most data plans have limited allowances.

Hope that helps and welcome to the world of windows 10 mobile.

Why not join the forum and have access to all the info you could need for your great little device. ;-)

Blitzfang

Apr 20, 2016
Visit site
Re: Lumia 550, not able to download apps and update + phone getting really warm

Even with the wifi on (no data restriction) it won't do anything. I even turned the mobile data off and nothing happens. My line is super fast and 1GB (the claimed size of said update) is done in a couple of minutes.

And yes, I have a microsoft account. I did the setup for that with my initial boot of the device.

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Re: Lumia 550, not able to download apps and update + phone getting really warm

Even with the wifi on (no data restriction) it won't do anything. I even turned the mobile data off and nothing happens. My line is super fast and 1GB (the claimed size of said update) is done in a couple of minutes.

And yes, I have a microsoft account. I did the setup for that with my initial boot of the device.

Mmm. Next course of action would be to download Windows Device Recovery Tool on a PC. As your phone is at least attempting to boot, this 'should' cure your ills. This will obviously download and install a clean OS, providing your device powers on and buzzes. If WDRT doesnt detect your device, then click the button for unrecognised and it will pick it up through the 'bios'.

The heat generation is probably due to a bootloop or corrupt data.

If WDRT doesn't work, I'd return it.

Best of luck

Blitzfang

Apr 20, 2016
Visit site
This seems to have fixed the issues I've been having.

It does show a rather glaring weakness of the phone having to go through such extremes only to be able to work properly.

In any case, thank you so much for your help! I'm looking forward to testing my new toy now that it actually works!

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
This seems to have fixed the issues I've been having.

It does show a rather glaring weakness of the phone having to go through such extremes only to be able to work properly.

In any case, thank you so much for your help! I'm looking forward to testing my new toy now that it actually works!

Only too glad to help! The 550 is a capable device. You will find that W10 is very good at hardware management, and having a couple of 550's in my company, it has proven that a vast outlay isn't always necessary for acceptable performance.

As for WDRT, yes it can be a pain, but it is a pretty straight forward option to restore a device, especially, in the unlikely event of a corrupt download.

Best of luck. Hope you enjoy the phone, and look forward to hearing your thoughts on it!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa