Problems updating my Lumia 550!

almighty_tubsta

Jun 3, 2016
Visit site
Hello, I recently purchased a Lumia 550 and am currently very dissatisfied with it's performance. I figured that it would require an update and apparently there are two available,

MICROSOFTMDG Update for Windows Phone
Windows 10 Mobile (10.0.10586.318)

However, I am completely unable to download over mobile data (my primary source of internet), then I tried at a friends house over WiFi. It says "Downloading Update", then just stays at 0%.

I then learned about the Windows Device Recovery Tool and thought, "Hooray, I can Update!". WRONG! according to WDRT my firmware and OS are up to date.

Untitled.jpg

I'm at a loss for what I can do and am getting extremely frustrated with this PoS right now. I'm having trouble downloading new apps, updating existing apps, random internet drops, inability to download offline maps, very poor battery performance. Really regret buying it at this point, wish I had bought a cheaper Android phone. The only reason I bought this was for the 4G, I even have trouble receiving that in my area!

One other thing to note is that I am in the UK on the 3 network, I purchased my phone from a 3 store so it is network locked.

Edit: I have also factory reset my phone and tried again, to no avail.

Last edited:

Joedels

Jan 10, 2016
Visit site
To be fair the Recovery tool is never up to date. I used to be a fast ring user and when I rolled back to production builds, it installed .107.

If I where you, I'd get it swapped for a new one. That really isn't meant to happen after a hard reset.

almighty_tubsta

Jun 3, 2016
Visit site
To be fair the Recovery tool is never up to date. I used to be a fast ring user and when I rolled back to production builds, it installed .107.

If I where you, I'd get it swapped for a new one. That really isn't meant to happen after a hard reset.

I'm going to get a used Samsung tomorrow, get my money back for the Lumia, it's still within 28 days and not working as it should be. Unfortunately this bad experience has completely ruined W10M for me. Certain aspects have been good, some frankly quite poor given what's on the market.

Only bought this because my S3 gave up on me, needed a cheap phone quickly. I suppose for me the Lumia 550 is a lot like Internet Explorer - "The best browser to use to download a better web browser."

Joedels

Jan 10, 2016
Visit site
I can imagine. Tbh the Lumia 550 is never going to give a great W10M experience, but as a backup phone it's pretty decent.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa