Lumia 550 - found the way to make it work

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Found a solution to 550 being awful

after a couple of months of agony, and almost throwing a phone against the wall, i've finally managed to make the lumia 550 work properly.

let me explain what i tried doing, but didn't work:

soft and hard reboot, using the phone without the memory card, storing the apps on phone memory - nothing helped.

so i downloaded the system recovery tool (or whatever it's called), and reverted my 550 to default system version. upon the first startup, i've disabled all connections, and turned off all the automatic updates i could find. none of the store apps are being updated, and it's not downloading the phone updates either (for now, this is day2).

all the "outdated" apps are working more than good, phone is WAY faster, it's not lagging, crashing or anything.

i hope this can help to someone.

cheers

Skelturoth

Aug 15, 2016
Visit site
after months of agony, and almost throwing the 550 against the wall, i've finally managed to make it work.

browsing these forums, everyone had the same advice - soft or hard reboot; i've tried that, i've also tried taking the mem card out, and installing all apps to phone memory; nothing worked.

yesterday, i got pretty pissed and tried finding a way of installing win8.1. didn't make it, but i've downloaded the recovery tool, and reverted the phone to a default version (think i got it with this one). i didn't allow any internet connections, and i've turned off ALL automatic updates i could find. windows isn't downloading or installing updates (for now), and the apps need my permission before even downloading (mobile network and wifi were turned on after i set the update settings)

now everything works flawlessly (except for the newly downloaded apps, ie fb messenger crashes everytime i try snapping a photo through it, it was doing the same before this "fix"). the "outdated" apps are simply perfect, nothing is crashing, the phone is fast and responsive, and it's much closer to 8.1 experience.

hope more people will try this and provide feedback.

cheers!

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Hmm, interesting suggestion. Glad that it is working for you. I'm curious if you have any apps that only work on the AU update and how that is working for you?

Skelturoth

Aug 15, 2016
Visit site
Hmm, interesting suggestion. Glad that it is working for you. I'm curious if you have any apps that only work on the AU update and how that is working for you?
when i try opening such apps, store opens instead, offering an update (office tools, for example). games, such as minion rush, still update automatically once i start the game.

charlatan1978

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
Re: Found a solution to 550 being awful

Haven't you already posted this?
I've used a Lumia 550 without any of the issues you are experiencing.
Also you don't mention if you have used the Windows Device Recovery Tool to check for/update the firmware.

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Windows Central.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Threads Merged.

User... Please do not create multiple threads on your issue. It actually works against you as any advice gets scattered around and a coherent conversation cannot develop as easily...

Moved to appropriate area...

RegTek9

Apr 21, 2016
Visit site

after a couple of months of agony, and almost throwing a phone against the wall, i've finally managed to make the lumia 550 work properly.

let me explain what i tried doing, but didn't work:

soft and hard reboot, using the phone without the memory card, storing the apps on phone memory - nothing helped.

so i downloaded the system recovery tool (or whatever it's called), and reverted my 550 to default system version. upon the first startup, i've disabled all connections, and turned off all the automatic updates i could find. none of the store apps are being updated, and it's not downloading the phone updates either (for now, this is day2).

all the "outdated" apps are working more than good, phone is WAY faster, it's not lagging, crashing or anything.

i hope this can help to someone.

cheers

Hi,
My 550 wont power up, so thought ok there's this recovery tool, but the 550 is not listed!!
So how did you manage it to do it using RT?

Rgds

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site

Hi,
My 550 wont power up, so thought ok there's this recovery tool, but the 550 is not listed!!
So how did you manage it to do it using RT?

Rgds

Well the main difference here is that your device simply is not booting up but the user you quoted still had a working device.

In your case I would look into bringing the device back by using thor.exe (google or bing it)

RegTek9

Apr 21, 2016
Visit site
after months of agony, and almost throwing the 550 against the wall, i've finally managed to make it work.

browsing these forums, everyone had the same advice - soft or hard reboot; i've tried that, i've also tried taking the mem card out, and installing all apps to phone memory; nothing worked.

yesterday, i got pretty pissed and tried finding a way of installing win8.1. didn't make it, but i've downloaded the recovery tool, and reverted the phone to a default version (think i got it with this one). i didn't allow any internet connections, and i've turned off ALL automatic updates i could find. windows isn't downloading or installing updates (for now), and the apps need my permission before even downloading (mobile network and wifi were turned on after i set the update settings)

now everything works flawlessly (except for the newly downloaded apps, ie fb messenger crashes everytime i try snapping a photo through it, it was doing the same before this "fix"). the "outdated" apps are simply perfect, nothing is crashing, the phone is fast and responsive, and it's much closer to 8.1 experience.

hope more people will try this and provide feedback.

cheers!

How did you get the recovery tool to work as the 550 is not listed?
I tried it. The tab underneath says click here if your phone is not listed, I did, and it said your device cannot be recovered!

RegTek9

Apr 21, 2016
Visit site

Well the main difference here is that your device simply is not booting up but the user you quoted still had a working device.

In your case I would look into bringing the device back by using thor.exe (google or bing it)

Ok, but the 550 is still not listed in RT, at least not for me?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb