[Update: Bought 640 XL Cyan] [Q] OnePlus One user planning to switch to Windows Phone (Lumia 640 XL)

tripranav

Mar 30, 2015
Visit site
Hello everyone,

I am currently using OnePlus One user and now after seeing the Windows 10, I am excited to again shift to Windows Phone (previously I was using Lumia 800>MotoX>OnePlus One). In the past I would not have switched to android but few things made me do that. Firstly, my microsoft account got hacked 2-3 times and secondly once WP8 came in the new apps were not compatible for my Lumia 800 which really ticked me off.

Anyways, my question is; should I switch to Lumia 640 XL (although it will get WP10) or wait for a device which launches with WP10 preinstalled? Because I do not want to experience the same thing with apps not compatible with old hardware.

Secondly, how will I be able to use Google services like Mail, Keep on my windows phone?

These are some of the questions that I had right now. If something else comes into my mind I will post it here.

Last edited:

d3ac0n

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: [Q] OnePlus One user planning to switch to Windows Phone (Lumia 640 XL)

Google apps are not available on Windows for phones. But You can switch ecosystems and be done with Google's overspying ****. I went from full google (gmail, keep, docs etc) to outlook, onedrive and office. Better in my opinion specially if you want any kind of work done. Gmail syncs with the default Windows mail app though

ALL current windows phone 8.x will be updated to windows 10 and all windows phone 8.1 apps will be compatible with the next iteration of the OS. The big change will come when the vast majority of apps will be updated by their developers to Universal apps. If you have a Windows based computer you will be happily surprised

I had a 1+1 and sold it recently. Great hardware, and lots of modding. But I want sipler things that just WORK out of the box. Not the Apple way just works for the dumb user (vast majority) but just works for the average power user that want to get things done. My daily driver is the Lumia Icon and I am going to get a 640XL for improved battery life and bigger screen.

MaxyBley

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site

To be fair. I'd rather hold onto your OnePlus until you fully "transferred" yourself to Windows Phone. Because the only Google app here is Google Search and it's bad anyways. It's a slow transition but smoother if you dont stop using Android so fast. Start using your Windows Phone check for apps that you need. After, say 2-3 weeks check if you need Android for anything at all.

alisaad619

May 8, 2014
Visit site

you will be able to use google mail , calender and contact just via adding your google account in the settings (but of course Android devices will have better gmail app , although with Windows 10 will have a very good email app)

I guess it will be better for you to wait for windows 10 (even if you will get the 640XL anyway , so you can enter with Windows 10 and get used to it , better than getting used to 8.1 and then getting 10 and trying to learn the OS again )

Last edited:

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site

I don't see any reason to wait for Windows 10. Some apps will receive a massive overhaul but navigating around the OS won't require you to relearn everything. It's probably going to be a lot harder to jump straight into Windows 10 without using WP8 first. You can learn the basics now, learn what settings change what, customize your home screen and learn a significant amount about your phone so you can be ahead of the curve, or you can wait until Windows 10 and start with zero knowledge about your phone. It sounds like much more of a chore to wait.

And to answer your Gmail question, just sign into your Gmail account during the setup process.

tripranav

Mar 30, 2015
Visit site

I finally bought the Lumia 640 XL Cyan and I am loving every bit of it. The camera specially is killer.
Best decision till date to sell off my OnePlus One and buy Lumia 640 XL.
IMG-20150409-WA0001 (1).jpg
By the way, I was the first one in my city to purchase this sweet phone.

P.S I am the one with the glasses.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo