Does L640 XL support OTG pendrive?

Karthika KK

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I already have a 8GB data card and was planning to get a 16 GB. But if I get a new one then old memory card will become of no use. So if OTG works it would be awesome. Please let me know :)

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Now? Nope.

But it looks to be a feature that will be included in Windows 10, which should officially appear sometime later this year. (the current builds are to be stayed away from usually as of now. No OTG either yet.)

M7MED ELChamouTi

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
OTG is not allow in windows phone 8.1 so u can't use it but we don't know if this feature also build in phone or not ... that should be clear in windows 10 when OTG feature added to OS and that maybe in next preview ...

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Still no words from MS yet if W10 even supports OTG. Even if it does, I doubt apps are even ready for it. Unlike Android, which already is years ahead of Windows Phone with OTG, don't think apps are able to access external pendrives without special permissions.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I've not read up on it, but with companies like LeTV already showing USB-C coming to handsets, I (personally) would rather that's where any change to Lumia handsets' USB connection headed. Does USB-C have an OTG function?

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Still no words from MS yet if W10 even supports OTG. Even if it does, I doubt apps are even ready for it. Unlike Android, which already is years ahead of Windows Phone with OTG, don't think apps are able to access external pendrives without special permissions.

Wow! Very good observation. Your comment also implies something.....iPhone is then light years behind Android and Windows Phone since it does not have capability to even install SD Card.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
iPhone is then light years behind Android and Windows Phone since it does not have capability to even install SD Card.
Or a long way ahead. The need for the slow, unreliable, difficult to support, expensive to make, space-filling and dust/water entry points of SD slots is dwindling.
SD will continue in niches such as digital cameras, but its days of being widely-deployed in mobile handsets are numbered.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
hotphil brings up a great point...

I don't see any reason any new phones on any platform being released can't include a minimum of 32 gig mass memory.

Doesn't make any sense to me at all to have to buy an add-on card to plug into these phones.
Internal on board memory would be the most reliable option for makers of smartphones.

Microsoft standing on and selling 4 and 8 gig phones is a knucklehead position in my opinion.

Why include great hardware available to everyone else when we can trickle bits and pieces out hoping to reel new users in thinking they are getting something new.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Jeez... I used Nokia C7-00 before 4yrs back, which if memory serves me correctly, had OTG before it was on (any) android.

Pretty versatile.... the coolest part was being able to attach a SD card-reader to the USB-OTG cable. I could plug in the SD card from my DSLR and transfer picts to my phone.

Here's hoping OTG is really available in WP8 phones, and is enabled when we upgrade to W10...

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I've not read up on it, but with companies like LeTV already showing USB-C coming to handsets, I (personally) would rather that's where any change to Lumia handsets' USB connection headed. Does USB-C have an OTG function?
Did some reading, and if what I read is correct, USB-C does have an OTG function. And is rumoured to be on the way for Windows Phones. I'll not hold my breath though.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
hotphil brings up a great point...

I don't see any reason any new phones on any platform being released can't include a minimum of 32 gig mass memory.

Doesn't make any sense to me at all to have to buy an add-on card to plug into these phones.
Internal on board memory would be the most reliable option for makers of smartphones.

Microsoft standing on and selling 4 and 8 gig phones is a knucklehead position in my opinion.

Why include great hardware available to everyone else when we can trickle bits and pieces out hoping to reel new users in thinking they are getting something new.

I agree. I haven't had a device that used SD cards since 2012. My experience with SD cards is that they are unreliable and prone to failure, and no, I don't use cheap junk from eBay that's probably counterfeit. I've always used SanDisk or Samsung SD cards, but even those fail rather quickly.

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Wow! Very good observation. Your comment also implies something.....iPhone is then light years behind Android and Windows Phone since it does not have capability to even install SD Card.

Not exactly. Without SD card, Apple will not have to worry about additional security and permissions about such feature. Hence, apps and OS will be more standardized. Wonder why Apple tends to build their iOS to be so restricted as compared to Android? Is not because iOS is behind Android, but because stability and security concerns are all above other features in the eyes of Apple. Ever also wonder why iOS has so much better user experiences than an Android which may be already running the highest specs available out there? Because Android has just too much interrupts (hardware / software) and backend services to handle.

In layman terms: Android is like a PC, while iPhone is still like the old Nokia featured phones. What about Windows Phone? Maybe somewhere in the middle. To be honest, I will not want WP to be so resources hungry like Android, but at the same time, I would like to have additional features like OTG and SD card supports.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos