Protect your tech:Get an Upsie warranty & save up to 70%
12-22-2015 08:51 PM
33 12
tools
    I just bought my Lumia 640 XL. As I charge it for the first time, I tried turning it off but it did not, and instead it only restarted. Please provide feed back if this is caused by lack of update (my phone is up to date as per checking it on the settings and selecting the update option) or a defect so I can have it replace.
    05-10-2015 09:37 PM
    I just bought my Lumia 640 XL. As I charge it for the first time, I tried turning it off but it did not, and instead it only restarted. Please provide feed back if this is caused by lack of update (my phone is up to date as per checking it on the settings and selecting the update option) or a defect so I can have it replace.
    It is normal.. Lumias phones don't turn off while charging..
    05-10-2015 09:39 PM
    Thank you for the info. Another observation, whenever I open a newly taken picture, instead of seeing the picture right away, I see a video which included moments prior pressing the camera (arranging hair, making poses prior to final pose and likes). So I see a video clip then a picture (actual taken). Is this normal?

Appreciate all of your comments. I'm really a new lumia, windows phone user. Thanks!
    Last edited by Arman Dones; 05-10-2015 at 11:14 PM.
    05-10-2015 10:46 PM
    Thank you for the info. Another observation, whenever I open a newly taken picture, instead of seeing the picture right away, I see a video which included moments prior pressing the camera (arranging hair, making poses prior to final pose and likes). So I see a video clip then a picture (actual taken). Is this normal?

Appreciate all of your comments. I'm really a new lumia, windows phone user. Thanks!
    It means that u have turned on the living image option. This option u can turn off in camera settings .
    05-10-2015 11:17 PM
    I guess you must be coming from Android? All windows phones will turn on by themselves once they are connected to power. Not sure why, but that's how they behave.
    Laura Knotek and Tom Snyder like this.
    05-10-2015 11:48 PM
    Yes I am. Thank you for the reply.

Another observation, whenever I open a newly taken picture, instead of seeing the picture right away, I see a video which included moments prior pressing the camera (arranging hair, making poses prior to final pose and likes). So I see a video clip then a picture (actual taken). Is this normal?

It means that u have turned on the living image option. This option u can turn off in camera settings .
    Where can I find it? I did go to settings > photos + camera, but I cannot find the option to off the said setting. I selected the reset camera option instead.
    Last edited by Guytronic; 05-11-2015 at 09:46 AM.
    05-10-2015 11:58 PM
    Where can I find it? I did go to settings > photos + camera, but I cannot find the option to off the said setting. I selected the reset camera option instead.
    Go to Lumia camera.. On the right hand side besides the flash there is a wand.. Click on that icon to turn it off
    05-11-2015 12:39 AM
    Yes I am. Thank you for the reply.

Another observation, whenever I open a newly taken picture, instead of seeing the picture right away, I see a video which included moments prior pressing the camera (arranging hair, making poses prior to final pose and likes). So I see a video clip then a picture (actual taken). Is this normal?
    What is the purpose of this living image?
    05-11-2015 12:43 AM
    What is the purpose of this living image?
    It captures some moments before clicking pictures.. And after clicking you can adjust the brightness and other stuff as you want..
    05-11-2015 01:59 AM
    Go to Lumia camera.. On the right hand side besides the flash there is a wand.. Click on that icon to turn it off
    Is that the setting for living images? I thought the wand thing is rich capture? I think he want to turn off living image, not rich capture. Have to go into camera setting in order to turn off living images.

https://forums.windowscentral.com/e?...token=ZxQW9F08
    05-11-2015 04:16 AM
    It's not Living Images as everyone says as Living Images feature isn't available for Lumia 640 XL. What happened is that - because you're an ex-Android - you long-pressed the capture button resulting in using Lumia Moments feature which records a video instead of taking a picture and then you're presented with the video frame by frame so that you could choose the best moment. Ankit told you to turn off the "wand" which is a feature called Rich Capture and you're probably have it turned off already. Rich Capture uses the best settings automatically to get you the best shot and the resulting photo takes a couple of seconds to process.
    05-11-2015 04:26 AM
    It's not Living Images as everyone says as Living Images feature isn't available for Lumia 640 XL. What happened is that - because you're an ex-Android - you long-pressed the capture button resulting in using Lumia Moments feature which records a video instead of taking a picture and then you're presented with the video frame by frame so that you could choose the best moment. Ankit told you to turn off the "wand" which is a feature called Rich Capture and you're probably have it turned off already. Rich Capture uses the best settings automatically to get you the best shot and the resulting photo takes a couple of seconds to process.
    I have 640xl and I can confirm living images is available.. It is Lumia camera 5.0...
    As for the solution go to settings then swipe left to photo section in that... Capture living images turn it off...
    05-11-2015 05:27 AM
    Living images is available for 640 and 640 XL for sure.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...4jrtP8Cbk#t=70

The long press capture action can be mapped to either video, photo burst or disable, depending in individual needs.

These are why 640 XL is really a value for money model till date.
    05-11-2015 07:32 AM
    hows your experience with 640xl ? I want to buy one but little worried about size ! is it possible to carry in pocket ? i wish they had offered same features with 640 .

Particularity in public taking calls , handling ?
    05-11-2015 09:44 AM
    hows your experience with 640xl ? I want to buy one but little worried about size ! is it possible to carry in pocket ? i wish they had offered same features with 640 .

640 xl is good to hold.. I got no problems keeping in my pocket (I wear skinny jeans).. One handed operation might be difficult while on the go but it has good grip.. Keyboard typing might be little difficult but it will be addressed in win 10
    somhom likes this.
    05-11-2015 09:58 AM
    Not just Lumia's, ALL Windows Phones do this and it's normal behaviour.
    05-11-2015 01:37 PM
    Thank you but I did not long pressed the camera button hahaha condescending huh. Thanks anyway.
    05-11-2015 07:59 PM

Comparing to 1520, aka the Hulk of Windows Phone, 640 XL is much easier to hold. The "sharper" edges have better grips than the smooth rounded edges of 1520. Perhaps I have bigger hands, so one hand operations are no issue for me. Furthermore, the double tapping on the on-screen navigation bar can be used to turn the screen off. So, the double tapping gesture is what I use most of the time instead of searching for the power button for waking the phone as well as putting the phone to standby. :)
    somhom likes this.
    05-11-2015 08:16 PM
    Comparing to 1520, aka the Hulk of Windows Phone, 640 XL is much easier to hold. The "sharper" edges have better grips than the smooth rounded edges of 1520. Perhaps I have bigger hands, so one hand operations are no issue for me. Furthermore, the double tapping on the on-screen navigation bar can be used to turn the screen off. So, the double tapping gesture is what I use most of the time instead of searching for the power button for waking the phone as well as putting the phone to standby. :)
    Exactly double tap to wake up and to lock is a killer feature.. I hardly press the power button..
    05-11-2015 10:51 PM
    Last question, I had couple of times when I unlock my phone, the background color is somewhat saturated, does anybody experienced it too? Is it defect? Sigh
    05-12-2015 04:12 AM
    Last question, I had couple of times when I unlock my phone, the background color is somewhat saturated, does anybody experienced it too? Is it defect? Sigh
    There is no defect... It's just a bug in windows phone which can be fixed in future updates.. Nothing will happen to the phone just lock and unlock the phone it will go away
    05-12-2015 06:50 AM
    My Lumia 820 had it but later on it didn't have any... I have been using it for two years
    05-12-2015 06:52 AM
    Using auto brightness may explain it.
    If you unlock the phone it "still" has to determine which brightness to use.
    So if you unlock it it starts with a brightness and then the auto kicks in and sets the brightness to a lower value so it look like the saturation changes but actual it is the brightness.
    gpobernardo likes this.
    05-12-2015 07:07 AM
    Living images is available for 640 and 640 XL for sure.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...4jrtP8Cbk#t=70

The long press capture action can be mapped to either video, photo burst or disable, depending in individual needs.

These are why 640 XL is really a value for money model till date.
    Yup! Sorry guys, my mistake. I've not been looking in the right direction :3
    chmun77 likes this.
    05-12-2015 06:18 PM
    OMG! I didn't know about double-tap to lock! Why Windows Central never mentioned it?
    05-12-2015 06:40 PM
33 12