Speaker Volume is low?

wprocks

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
I just received my Lumia 640 XL RM-1096 from eBay. It was shipped straight from Singapore. Says manufactured in Vietnam. It's speaker volume for message tones seems low. Volume level of 3/4 on my 1520 used to be loud enough for me. This one needs at least 6/7 or out 10 to get correct message tones.

Woodman1914

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
It's low compared to Lumia 925 and 1520, this seems like a component that MS went a little too cheap with, the speaker itself is only about 8-9mm wide whereas the 1520's was about 3 times that.

WW

wprocks

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for the reply. How in the world Microsoft it's going to compete with their own OEM HTC with these speakers?

Woodman1914

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
MS has front facing speakers in the Surface tablets, so maybe there's hope future phones from MS will have this. Or maybe not. We know it was not an arbitrary cost-cutting decision. One possible factor is the battery run-down tests that are so common in review sites. These sites usually include some type of looping video, but they do not standardize volume output across phones (eg. played so-and-so video at an average output of X decibels), so if the review site just set the volume to the phone's "medium" setting, which in Windows Phone would be volume 5 out of 10, it's to the manufacturer's advantage battery-wise to make the output relative low, making the battery last longer. It's interesting that many review sites have noted the 640/XL for its good battery life, but rarely if ever mention the relatively low speaker output. Just a theory

WW

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel