Lumia 640 XL versions

Woodman1914

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
Was reading that some people aren't able to get full LTE on AT&T with the RM-1096. Can't post the link, but it was on the Expansys forums:

AT&T told them the phone wasn't "provisioned" to use bands other than band 17. That sounds like AT&T is deliberately blocking LTE support on other bands in their network. But I don't understand why they would block everything except band 17. Any thoughts on a workaround for this? Was really thinking about picking one up, but am a little hesitant now.

That doesn't sound good, maybe it's ATT's way of selling carrier branded phones. Please keep us posted on this.

WW

DumDee2

Jun 26, 2015
Visit site
Was reading that some people aren't able to get full LTE on AT&T with the RM-1096. Can't post the link, but it was on the Expansys forums:

AT&T told them the phone wasn't "provisioned" to use bands other than band 17. That sounds like AT&T is deliberately blocking LTE support on other bands in their network. But I don't understand why they would block everything except band 17. Any thoughts on a workaround for this? Was really thinking about picking one up, but am a little hesitant now.

i don't think their deliberately u might not just be able to connect to certain bands on their network without giving them your imei to put in their system.

i'm using the 1096 for t-mobile and when compared to lg g2 which only has lte band 2,4,7. When put next to each other the lg g2 show 4 bars of lte while the 640xl dual sim shows 2 bars of 4g. Doing a speedtest with similar apn settings on both phones. The G2 pulls in about 43dl and 9up while the 640xl dual sim does 37dl and 11up. The highest recorded speed i've seen on my lg g2 is a 121mb dl at a certain area which i've yet to take the 640xl dual sim to yet.

Woodman1914

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
When a phone is connected to 4G/LTE, anyway to determine which LTE band it's using? I'm asking because without knowing the bands when comparing phones, how do you know if the LTE speeds are the result of certain bands (or band restrictions) versus perhaps a stronger antenna/chipset inside the phone?

WW

Randy Farrell

Aug 31, 2015
Visit site
Is this by chance the unlocked single Sim version Microsoft has listed on their website? They have the at&t version listed with no contract then they have a unlocked version available as well, no carrier obviously. My guess is this has to be it since the 1063 is at&ts version. If so this is what I'm getting as I don't need a dual sim and love having visual voicemail.

Arizona Willie

Aug 18, 2015
Visit site
My Lumia 640 XL is my first Smartphone. Previously I had a couple of old flip phones.

I decided to go with the L 640 xl, for now, instead of some of the more advanced model, as a " learner " phone and perhaps I will upgrade in a year or so to whatever the ' flagship ' is then. A person could spend a fortune trying to have the < latest and greatest >.

Frankly I wasn't sure how much I would use it. I find myself using it more than I thought I would.

dmlmidi

Dec 28, 2015
Visit site
Regarding the 4) 640 XL dual-SIM LTE, I spoke to MS WP Support. The difference between the RM-1065 and the RM-1096 is region/language of origin.
1. The RM-1065 is for US release and any warranty service is returned to the US Region warranty centers.
2. The RM1096 is for Chinese release and any warranty repairs must be sent to China Region warranty centers.
3. Regarding IMEI compatibility of the RM1096, I spoke to AT&T. In the event that the IMEI number is not recognized, causing a problem with connectivity to their 4G network, they have universal IMEI numbers that can be associated with a client's phone/account for some phones that will solve the problem. They could not confirm that the Lumia 640 XL LTE dual sim is supported. However, they looked at my current Lumia 640 XL AT&T unlocked phone and noticed that its IMEI number showed as unknown , yet it is connecting to their LTE network with no problems.

Last edited:

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
We've been using two 640XL Dual-Sim LTE RM-1096 on ATT for a few months now without issues.
The only service that stopped working is visual voice mail, but we rarely used that anyway.
cheers

Arthur Babayev

Aug 26, 2015
Visit site
Hi,
Can anybody explain about software, hardware differences between RM-1065 and 1096 please? Is software, hardware, cameras etc... are they all the same or there is a difference? Which one to buy in USA, 1065 or 1096? Intend to use not only in USA, looking for best World version.
I know that RM-1067 is not LTE. Not sure why all have different RMs, what is the difference please?
Thank you very much, Art.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos