Question for previous or current 1520 users?

cane prevost1

Jun 25, 2015
Visit site
I'm thinking of coming back to windows phone. I had a 520 a couple of years ago and really liked it. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed the windows OS. I've been using a 2013 Moto X for a couple of years since. I'm wanting a bigger screen as my vision isn't what it used to be. I'm looking at getting a 1520 or the 640 xl. I'm up to speed on all the spec differences and know what they mean. I'm reading a bit from users though that even though the 640 isn't nearly as good on paper it actually performs on par in most scenarios. Wondering what the experience is from 1520 users who now have 640 xl? Thanks!

Woodman1914

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
I went from a 1520 to a 640XL, I can't recommend the 1520 because of the ghost tapping, it starts as a minor annoyance until it reaches the point of frustration. If you do anything processor intensive (games or "heavy" apps) maybe the tradeoff is worth it, since the processing power of the Snapdragon 800 w/2GB RAM is superior to the 400 w/1GB RAM, otherwise with light and basic apps, the 640XL actually seems more responsive and stable, maybe due to a combination of WP8.1 update 2 and a more modern firmware. You'll probably get better Windows 10 support on the 640XL too.

WW

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I have to say that, until I booted up my 640XL for the first time, my 1520 was my all-time favorite smart phone. But, once I used the 640XL for a few days, I slowly began to realize that specs alone do not make a great phone. I'm a realist, and make my decision based on real-world functionality, not simply top-of-the-line specs. Sure, the 1520 has a better screen, better internals, and a much better camera than the 640XL, but for everyday use, the 640XL is, and I can't believe I'm saying this, a better all-around phone than the 1520...in my opinion. It's lighter, easier to use with one hand, and runs just as smoothly as the 1520. The only two things that I miss right now having recently sold my 1520 are Hey Cortana and the excellent camera. The 640XL camera is good, but nothing compared to the 1520's. Having said that, though, I'm completely satisfied with my 640XL. In my opinion, it is the perfect size for me, and handles what I put it through on a daily basis wonderfully. Every once in a while, though, I find myself creeping through the 1520s on eBay for some reason. :) Nostalgia......

Jf.Vigor

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I have to say that, until I booted up my 640XL for the first time, my 1520 was my all-time favorite smart phone. But, once I used the 640XL for a few days, I slowly began to realize that specs alone do not make a great phone. I'm a realist, and make my decision based on real-world functionality, not simply top-of-the-line specs. Sure, the 1520 has a better screen, better internals, and a much better camera than the 640XL, but for everyday use, the 640XL is, and I can't believe I'm saying this, a better all-around phone than the 1520...in my opinion. It's lighter, easier to use with one hand, and runs just as smoothly as the 1520. The only two things that I miss right now having recently sold my 1520 are Hey Cortana and the excellent camera. The 640XL camera is good, but nothing compared to the 1520's. Having said that, though, I'm completely satisfied with my 640XL. In my opinion, it is the perfect size for me, and handles what I put it through on a daily basis wonderfully. Every once in a while, though, I find myself creeping through the 1520s on eBay for some reason. :) Nostalgia......

Previous 1520 user myself, getting the 640XL in the mail today. Thank you for your insightful post. Looking forward to using the 640XL as my daily driver. I'll forever regret the day I left my 1520 in some random taxi driver's car. But I think the next best alternative is using the 640XL until the 940XL becomes a reality.

Even then. My 640XL is unlocked, and dual-sim. It will make quite the backup phone should anything happen to my 940XL

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
No problem. :)

I hope you enjoy your new phone. Let us know what you think. Heck of a tip for your taxi driver. Sorry to hear about that.

If you have any questions about the 640XL, send me a pm.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
On the one hand I love my 640 XL(Codenamed Convict...because of its orange color). It's a great phone. Light and amazing and I have yet to have too many issues with the phone itself(aside from a small minor thing). The camera is not as strong as my 1520 by any means and I do miss certain aspects of it....mainly low light performance. Camera on the front far exceeds my 1520s however.

My main issue with the 640 XL is the fact a few apps for myself and friends aren't working properly on ours(Camera360 Sight....and 6tin for him) and I do miss faster app launches but they aren't too bad really. I am slightly concerned bout 8 GB internal storage even with an SD card but at the same time I am not that worried.

On the other hand, I love my 1520 but the ghost tap got to be annoying and it is a big cumbersome to use in everday use. It's an amazing phone but the issues with it randomly launching cortana and other apps or unlocking itself randomly really are its downfalls for me.

If I were you and you are set on the 640 XL....go for it. It's a great phone.
I'd recommend the 930 if you can get it as it is the 1520s nearly identical sibling except smaller without glance and an SD car slot and wireless charging(Which the 640 XL also lacks).
I'm thinking of coming back to windows phone. I had a 520 a couple of years ago and really liked it. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed the windows OS. I've been using a 2013 Moto X for a couple of years since. I'm wanting a bigger screen as my vision isn't what it used to be. I'm looking at getting a 1520 or the 640 xl. I'm up to speed on all the spec differences and know what they mean. I'm reading a bit from users though that even though the 640 isn't nearly as good on paper it actually performs on par in most scenarios. Wondering what the experience is from 1520 users who now have 640 xl? Thanks!

cane prevost1

Jun 25, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. Is "Hey Cortana" like the "OK Google Now" on my Moto X? I can launch search without touching the phone? If it is the same are you saying that it won't be available on the 640 but is on the 1520? Thanks.

Woodman1914

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. Is "Hey Cortana" like the "OK Google Now" on my Moto X? I can launch search without touching the phone? If it is the same are you saying that it won't be available on the 640 but is on the 1520? Thanks.

Yes, Hey Cortana could wake up the 1520 even when it was sleeping (screen off), but it was not that reliable for me. 640 or anything with Snapdragon 400 does not support this.

WW

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro