Went to AT&T to check out XL, sales guy says "Windows Sucks"

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Went to the local AT&T shop to check out the Lumia 640 XL. As I'm holding it playing around a store sales guy walks up behind me and says verbatim:

"You don't want to get that phone. Windows sucks. The app store is a joke"

Didn't say "Can I help you?" Or "Do you have a question?" Just that it sucks...

Maybe I am someone that doesn't care about apps, but he immediately bashes it before learning my needs.

Great support from AT&T selling the phones....

I've been known to counter those kind of "sales persons" in the past, just not when I had a crying baby. You did the right thing putting your baby first.

When someone says, "Windows phone sucks." I tell them to site some specific examples as to how. Then I point out areas of Windows Phone that are superior to Android and iOS, and let them know that each OS has its own strengths and weaknesses, and that WP biggest weakness is market share, not that it sucks. I also remind that they, as a sales person, should not be insulting potential customers as that is no way to make sales and that when they say "Windows Phone sucks," they are in fact insulting choices I have already been making. I usually make sure I say it just loud enough for other sales people and other customers to hear. Not yelling, I just don't speak in hushed tones. When everyone turns to look, I ask, "Speaking of the app store being a joke, exactly what app is it that you think I must need that the Windows Phone store doesn't have?" At that point, the answer is generally, "Well, ah, uhm.. I don't know." If they have the audacity to state an app's name, it is usually something that is available and I have to correct them in front of everybody, which only embarrasses them further. After that, they don't contradict me any longer. If it is something not on Windows Phone (then I obviously can live without it, as I have chosen to do so), then I let them know it is an app of which I am not in need.

It is a sales reps job to keep the customer happy and sell the customer what they want. Upsell where possible to increase the sale. To bash any product that you sell in your store is retail suicide. If the carriers in the US opened up any type of retail store that sold products not associated with phones or communications, they would go out of business pretty quick for their bad sales practices, or learn how to treat customers.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I've been known to counter those kind of "sales persons" in the past, just not when I had a crying baby. You did the right thing putting your baby first.

When someone says, "Windows phone sucks." I tell them to site some specific examples as to how. Then I point out areas of Windows Phone that are superior to Android and iOS, and let them know that each OS has its own strengths and weaknesses, and that WP biggest weakness is market share, not that it sucks. I also remind that they, as a sales person, should not be insulting potential customers as that is no way to make sales and that when they say "Windows Phone sucks," they are in fact insulting choices I have already been making. I usually make sure I say it just loud enough for other sales people and other customers to hear. Not yelling, I just don't speak in hushed tones. When everyone turns to look, I ask, "Speaking of the app store being a joke, exactly what app is it that you think I must need that the Windows Phone store doesn't have?" At that point, the answer is generally, "Well, ah, uhm.. I don't know." If they have the audacity to state an app's name, it is usually something that is available and I have to correct them in front of everybody, which only embarrasses them further. After that, they don't contradict me any longer. If it is something not on Windows Phone (then I obviously can live without it, as I have chosen to do so), then I let them know it is an app of which I am not in need.

It is a sales reps job to keep the customer happy and sell the customer what they want. Upsell where possible to increase the sale. To bash any product that you sell in your store is retail suicide. If the carriers in the US opened up any type of retail store that sold products not associated with phones or communications, they would go out of business pretty quick for their bad sales practices, or learn how to treat customers.

That's the D-O Double G right there. Well, he's working on that other G but that's him.

Fin-Tomi

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
Or does the sales guy get more sales bonus if he sells more expensive device?

I know in Finland we have stores where sales try to quite aggressively talk you to pick much expensive product instead ones that are promoted. This because they get no bonus from the cheaper ones.

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Or does the sales guy get more sales bonus if he sells more expensive device?

I know in Finland we have stores where sales try to quite aggressively talk you to pick much expensive product instead ones that are promoted. This because they get no bonus from the cheaper ones.

This is very true, and an excellent point to make. Thank you for bringing that up.

I don't fault a sales person for attempting to steer someone to a more expensive device, but they should never insult the products or a customer's choices. There are better ways to do it. For example, "While the Windows Phone is a capable device, you may find it can limit you in what you are able to accomplish due to the apps available in that ecosystem." That would have been the way to word it. That way, you aren't insulting the customer and giving them the opportunity to state whether or not that matters to them.

The sales people need to learn that they want to make ANY sale over NO sale, because if you insult them and the person leaves the store, they may be going to purchase something from Verizon instead of AT&T, and you've done more than lose a sale. You've lost a customer long and long term revenue for AT&T. How happy does that make your employer?

Low Kok Hin

Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
There was one day I walking into a Samsung retail store, as they promoting the wireless charging capabilities of the galaxy s6/edge. As I'm trying to have fun with my friends to ask them put their phone onto the wireless charger( their phones have no wireless charging capabilities ), one of the sale rep come and said, "only Samsung s6 can do that". Afterwards, I immediately put my Lumia 1520 ( with built in wireless charging ) and when my charging sign pops out, I left that store. :p

griesmonkey

Mar 11, 2015
Visit site
At the store I went to the girl helping me said the 630/530 were selling 'a lot'. Whatever that means... But she at least recognized there is some popularity there. Budget phones you can buy off contract with a decent OS. Some employees are so involved with their platform they feel it unnecessary to cover other options due to the overwhelming popularity with iOS and Android. I can't honestly blame them 100% but they do need to be educated on WP, especially with the coming launch of WP 10. Microsoft needs to step in an incentivize employees and app developers for this coming platform. Only way they can help with an immediate shift in getting these phones in peoples hands.

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I love AT&T as a provider, and their live chat service on the web is absolutely legendary for customer service... but those reps they hire for the stores typically don't even understand the company terms and conditions correctly. I had to have someone online fix massive problems after one of their store derps made a mistake that split our bill into two, and would've cost us $150 more a month (they also killed my mobile hotspot, but it's all resolved now).

There's tiers too... going into any place that's only an "Authorized Seller" you're bound to be serviced by a moron whose only objective is to shove AT&T Next down your throat while spouting loads of misinformation. It does also seem like they're given a handbook on how to be especially stupid concerning Windows Phone.

When I went to get my LG G3, I had my Lumia 930 on me, and was told I should just forget about it and go for the Galaxy S4 because it's in stock and "Anything better 'den a Window Phone." (he said it exactly like that).

I continued going back trying to check on that G3 because I wanted a 3GB RAM phone and wanted to check out the display since news spread that updates fixed the overheating. The same guy was also famous for the line "You might'swell get da S5 'cause da specs better anyway."

... so yeah... nothing but talent at them there AT&T stores.

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
It's really strange, because all the AT&T stores I've been to (about 4 different ones around my area) have all been quite knowledgeable when it comes to Windows Phone, and each of the reps actually used the Windows Phone for their own personal phone. In my local store, they all have Lumia 830s, except one guy that didn't want to give up his 1520.

These are all "corporate" stores, and not the "authorized resellers" or whatever. The ones that are "authorized" are atrocious when it comes to Windows Phone.

DethZero

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
It's really strange, because all the AT&T stores I've been to (about 4 different ones around my area) have all been quite knowledgeable when it comes to Windows Phone, and each of the reps actually used the Windows Phone for their own personal phone. In my local store, they all have Lumia 830s, except one guy that didn't want to give up his 1520.

These are all "corporate" stores, and not the "authorized resellers" or whatever. The ones that are "authorized" are atrocious when it comes to Windows Phone.

The 640xl that I picked up last week from AT&T corporate store I had no issues with the sales rep. Lady seemed fairly knowledgeable about the phone and it's features.

nohra

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
I love it when we know more than they do, I like to play games with them ask them all the hard question you know they not going to figure out. He'll last time at Verizon I had 3 sales rep working on my question! Were do I hook up the wireless charging to the phone "really"

Oh my, I've had that too: the best one: an AT&T Employee in trying to answer a question about a Lumia 830 running WP8.1: "according to this help document, you need to upgrade to something called 'Mango'." Me: "um, yeah I don't think that's going to help..."

But in truth, I've been pretty lucky on ATT employees not bashing WP - although I have witnessed a shocked expression in response to my disinterest in looking at other phones. In fact it was ATT employees who introduced me to Windows Phone over iphone and android... although the criteria were pretty slim: I didn't want an iphone and I didn't want an android phone. But still they sold a WP7 phone that day rather than trying to sell me on something else.

nohra

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
There was one day I walking into a Samsung retail store, as they promoting the wireless charging capabilities of the galaxy s6/edge. As I'm trying to have fun with my friends to ask them put their phone onto the wireless charger( their phones have no wireless charging capabilities ), one of the sale rep come and said, "only Samsung s6 can do that". Afterwards, I immediately put my Lumia 1520 ( with built in wireless charging ) and when my charging sign pops out, I left that store. :p

c8ce9c29f92f1ac70e720562c459b44f.jpg

tedj101

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
Went to the local AT&T shop to check out the Lumia 640 XL. As I'm holding it playing around a store sales guy walks up behind me and says verbatim:

"You don't want to get that phone. Windows sucks. The app store is a joke"

Didn't say "Can I help you?" Or "Do you have a question?" Just that it sucks...

Maybe I am someone that doesn't care about apps, but he immediately bashes it before learning my needs.

Great support from AT&T selling the phones....

Apps aren't that important to me, but the good versions of Office are. Now my daughter has a different set of priorities. Last night I mentioned to her that Windows 10 Mobile is supposed to be able to run both IOS and Android apps. Her reaction was: "Wow. That would make the Windows Phone the best choice period!" Interesting about face.

I'm still mostly Android, but I bought a 640 XL to try out the Windows Mobile environment. I rather like it and think I will stay if Nokia/Microsoft come out with a flagship model soon - as they are rumored to do...

<TED>

BenJAMIN_2009

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I'm on Verizon and when I walk in the store and say I want a windows phone they don't say why or anything they tell me we don't have many windows devices but lets take a look. That's how I got my one m8 for windows

xrs22

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm on Verizon and when I walk in the store and say I want a windows phone they don't say why or anything they tell me we don't have many windows devices but lets take a look. That's how I got my one m8 for windows

What was the latest one to come to Verizon? The lady said it wasn't good bit I told her I'm into windows and I have the icon and wouldn't be interested in it as per my flagship device.

ThaKrazyOne

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
Some of these stories are just crazy. First of all, if I have to visit an AT&T store, i go to the main stores that are dubbed "Company Stores" The ones I have visited in the LA area and San Gabriel Valley are knowledgeable in Windows Phones. As other's have stated, don't go to "Authorized" retailers if you want to get a new phone or need help with a current one. You'll leave worse off than you first started. I had to warranty my wifes 1520 due to some spots on her phone and went to the repair center in Torrance. The tech was surprised I knew so much about WP. So much that he unofficially offered me a job there. Too bad I have transportation issues or I would have jumped at the chance. It didn't hurt when I unofficially helped him with a problem on an iPhone 5S. I was an Apply Guy before I went to Windows Phone. A few have mentioned about how they suggest other phones, such as Android based phones. It's because they get either bonuses or certain perks when they sell them. If Microsoft would give incentives to the carriers to push more WP devices, I'm sure they would. At the end, it's all on preference, as long as you get the assistance you need along the way from a trusted carrier and/or friends who are tech gurus.

cowboy6201

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Was it a Corporate store or franchise store?
Because all the franchise store's I've been in both Verizon & AT&T they treat you like dirt. I will only go to a Corporate store only, I have to drive about 1/2 hr from my house to get to a great Corporate store, which at one time was a Cingular store even then it was great. The sales rep that sold me my new 640XL last week worked for Cingular and was one of the lucky ones that got to stay on with AT&T. She told me she had a Nokia Lumia, but AT&T gave every one an android instead.
But yeah turn that Employee in. And if it's a franchise store check and see if you have a Corporate store near you, the Employees are really friendly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon