07-13-2015 06:38 PM
75 123
tools
    Went to the local AT&T shop to check out the Lumia 640 XL. As I'm holding it playing around a store sales guy walks up behind me and says verbatim:

"You don't want to get that phone. Windows sucks. The app store is a joke"

Didn't say "Can I help you?" Or "Do you have a question?" Just that it sucks...

Maybe I am someone that doesn't care about apps, but he immediately bashes it before learning my needs.

Great support from AT&T selling the phones....
    07-03-2015 06:53 PM
    You should report him to his manager with a quickness. Get it on the record and don't keep it to yourself. He doesn't need to be there or at the very least, it will put something in his employment jacket. I'm serious.
    07-03-2015 07:04 PM
    You should report him to his manager with a quickness. Get it on the record and don't keep it to yourself. He doesn't need to be there or at the very least, it will put something in his employment jacket. I'm serious.
    Yea I think I'm going to call the store and see if I can do that. I had to leave after his rant because my crying newborn was not cooperating! Haha
    pmhgeneral, Jazmac, ven07 and 5 others like this.
    07-03-2015 07:06 PM
    I love it when we know more than they do, I like to play games with them ask them all the hard question you know they not going to figure out. He'll last time at Verizon I had 3 sales rep working on my question! Were do I hook up the wireless charging to the phone "really"
    07-03-2015 07:07 PM
    Although not as bad, I had AT&T's Digital Life security system installed and when the installer was done, he was giving me a quicky demo of how it all works. He showed me the app on his Ipad, which was cool with me but I use a 1520 and had the app installed. When I whipped out my phone he recoiled as if I picked a fresh one from my nose. "Oh, I don't know how it works on Windows phones". And all I could think of what just how low the intellectual curiosity level of these so-called " technicians" they put between us an our computers is unreal. It works the same way on ALL platforms. Idiots.
    07-03-2015 07:45 PM
    I just wanted to let you know that that attitude is not all prevalent for all AT&T RSCs. Especially not me, since I just bought a 640XL for the hell of it.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
    07-04-2015 04:03 PM
    I work at tmobile and use an m8 for windows. All day long all I hear is people trash talking windows. Really annoys me.
    07-04-2015 04:10 PM
    Was he sporting skinny jeans and a fauxhawk? Pop culture is like a bad recipe that people convince each other is good and pass around until the whole world is eating ****. I'd love to hear his eloquent logic regarding the suckiness of Windows
    Last edited by offbeatbop; 07-05-2015 at 10:36 AM.
    07-04-2015 04:16 PM
    I work at tmobile and use an m8 for windows. All day long all I hear is people trash talking windows. Really annoys me.
    Hang in there mate :D Maybe WP will turn out to be a bust someday or maybe it won't. If it does become a bust, we'll be considered rebels for trying, if it doesn't, we'll be the ones laughing xd
    07-05-2015 01:14 AM
    The song "Pop Culture" by Icon For Hire describes this situation perfectly.
    Most of them have never used Windows Phone, they diss it because society does. It's the 'norm' and heaven forbid an AT&T technician deviates from the norm by not owning either an iPhone or a Samsung.
    ven07 and nohra like this.
    07-05-2015 01:37 AM
    Carrier employees are supposed to be brand agnostic, but never are. When I got my Android device, the rep was trying to talk me into an iPhone with his "I'll make you an iPhone convert yet!" stuff.

It just is what it is. When you buy a smartphone, you "choose sides" - that whole mind set is ridiculous.
    07-05-2015 08:45 AM
    I haven't had this issue with the 2 AT&T stores in my area.
    ven07 likes this.
    07-05-2015 12:27 PM
    Went to the local AT&T shop to check out the Lumia 640 XL. As I'm holding it playing around a store sales guy walks up behind me and says verbatim:

Maybe I am someone that doesn't care about apps, but he immediately bashes it before learning my needs.

Funny thing is....

When I walked into a Tmobile store, they recommended the 640 over all the other Android phones at that range. They stated it was the most non "prone to problems and slowness" in the future, lol.
    07-05-2015 12:46 PM
    You should contact AT&T as well as the manager of the store. Salespeople represent whatever company they work for.

If that salesperson doesn't show any interest in a product that the company is selling, there's absolutely no reason for that person to be employed by AT&T.
    07-05-2015 12:57 PM
    Definitely contact the store and report them.
    ven07, libra89 and Alexis-1991 like this.
    07-05-2015 01:53 PM
    When I bought my first WP, the LG Quantum, had a small issue and brought it to my local ATT. They wondered how I got it, and they didn't even have it in the store yet. They all wanted to see it...how times have changed.
    07-05-2015 01:58 PM
    To be frank, people often feel the need to proactively bash something when they feel a little threatened by it. Lumias in particular have been the sharpest-looking, most elegant smartphone line on the market for several years now. Not to mention the highest quality, from build to camera. Simply peruse the comments section of any Android blog and see how many people have been clamoring for WP hardware running Android.

Couple that with the modern beauty of the WP interface and it gives pop culture bandwagoners a good jolt of "man that thing is sweet, better reassert how cool I am for being like everybody else."

I personally have no problem bluntly retorting any such WP bashing, including those coming from supposed "techs" and sales reps. I know what I have in my midst is superior because I've learned the competition instead of blindly dismissing it.
    vsmh96, 920Walker and Alexis-1991 like this.
    07-05-2015 02:39 PM

"You don't want to get that phone. Windows sucks.
    Just ask him if you can talk to a salesperson who doesn't suck.
    07-05-2015 05:27 PM
    If that salesperson doesn't show any interest in a product that the company is selling, there's absolutely no reason for that person to be employed by AT&T.
    Careful now. Speaking for those who don't do business with AT&T I would rather have AT&T be paying him than my taxes going for his welfare and food stamps and multiple free LifeLine cell phones.

Wait a minute. Maybe that's what MS should do, offer the govt Lumias for the LifeLine program for 10 cents a unit less than what ever they get now. Since individuals can easily get a dozen phones from that program, WP will vault to first in market share overnight!
    07-05-2015 05:37 PM
    Careful now. Speaking for those who don't do business with AT&T I would rather have AT&T be paying him than my taxes going for his welfare and food stamps and multiple free LifeLine cell phones.

Wait a minute. Maybe that's what MS should do, offer the govt Lumias for the LifeLine program for 10 cents a unit less than what ever they get now. Since individuals can easily get a dozen phones from that program, WP will vault to first in market share overnight!
    I thought they should target that market a year ago.
    HoosierDaddy likes this.
    07-05-2015 05:42 PM

I've been known to counter those kind of "sales persons" in the past, just not when I had a crying baby. You did the right thing putting your baby first.

When someone says, "Windows phone sucks." I tell them to site some specific examples as to how. Then I point out areas of Windows Phone that are superior to Android and iOS, and let them know that each OS has its own strengths and weaknesses, and that WP biggest weakness is market share, not that it sucks. I also remind that they, as a sales person, should not be insulting potential customers as that is no way to make sales and that when they say "Windows Phone sucks," they are in fact insulting choices I have already been making. I usually make sure I say it just loud enough for other sales people and other customers to hear. Not yelling, I just don't speak in hushed tones. When everyone turns to look, I ask, "Speaking of the app store being a joke, exactly what app is it that you think I must need that the Windows Phone store doesn't have?" At that point, the answer is generally, "Well, ah, uhm.. I don't know." If they have the audacity to state an app's name, it is usually something that is available and I have to correct them in front of everybody, which only embarrasses them further. After that, they don't contradict me any longer. If it is something not on Windows Phone (then I obviously can live without it, as I have chosen to do so), then I let them know it is an app of which I am not in need.

It is a sales reps job to keep the customer happy and sell the customer what they want. Upsell where possible to increase the sale. To bash any product that you sell in your store is retail suicide. If the carriers in the US opened up any type of retail store that sold products not associated with phones or communications, they would go out of business pretty quick for their bad sales practices, or learn how to treat customers.
    07-05-2015 07:02 PM
    If anything is a joke. It's their support and delays in pushing out updates. Along with Verizon and others.
    920Walker likes this.
    07-05-2015 07:34 PM
    I've been known to counter those kind of "sales persons" in the past, just not when I had a crying baby. You did the right thing putting your baby first.

When someone says, "Windows phone sucks." I tell them to site some specific examples as to how. Then I point out areas of Windows Phone that are superior to Android and iOS, and let them know that each OS has its own strengths and weaknesses, and that WP biggest weakness is market share, not that it sucks. I also remind that they, as a sales person, should not be insulting potential customers as that is no way to make sales and that when they say "Windows Phone sucks," they are in fact insulting choices I have already been making. I usually make sure I say it just loud enough for other sales people and other customers to hear. Not yelling, I just don't speak in hushed tones. When everyone turns to look, I ask, "Speaking of the app store being a joke, exactly what app is it that you think I must need that the Windows Phone store doesn't have?" At that point, the answer is generally, "Well, ah, uhm.. I don't know." If they have the audacity to state an app's name, it is usually something that is available and I have to correct them in front of everybody, which only embarrasses them further. After that, they don't contradict me any longer. If it is something not on Windows Phone (then I obviously can live without it, as I have chosen to do so), then I let them know it is an app of which I am not in need.

It is a sales reps job to keep the customer happy and sell the customer what they want. Upsell where possible to increase the sale. To bash any product that you sell in your store is retail suicide. If the carriers in the US opened up any type of retail store that sold products not associated with phones or communications, they would go out of business pretty quick for their bad sales practices, or learn how to treat customers.
    That's the D-O Double G right there. Well, he's working on that other G but that's him.
    07-05-2015 10:14 PM
    Or does the sales guy get more sales bonus if he sells more expensive device?

I know in Finland we have stores where sales try to quite aggressively talk you to pick much expensive product instead ones that are promoted. This because they get no bonus from the cheaper ones.
    07-06-2015 06:11 AM
    Or does the sales guy get more sales bonus if he sells more expensive device?

I know in Finland we have stores where sales try to quite aggressively talk you to pick much expensive product instead ones that are promoted. This because they get no bonus from the cheaper ones.
    This is very true, and an excellent point to make. Thank you for bringing that up.

I don't fault a sales person for attempting to steer someone to a more expensive device, but they should never insult the products or a customer's choices. There are better ways to do it. For example, "While the Windows Phone is a capable device, you may find it can limit you in what you are able to accomplish due to the apps available in that ecosystem." That would have been the way to word it. That way, you aren't insulting the customer and giving them the opportunity to state whether or not that matters to them.

The sales people need to learn that they want to make ANY sale over NO sale, because if you insult them and the person leaves the store, they may be going to purchase something from Verizon instead of AT&T, and you've done more than lose a sale. You've lost a customer long and long term revenue for AT&T. How happy does that make your employer?
    07-06-2015 07:43 AM
75 123