Lumia 640xl (Find my phone and Storage Sense)

Anurag Goswami

Jul 5, 2015
Visit site
Hello,

I am resident of India and purchased Lumix 640XL phone couple of days back. I am facing couple of issues even after resetting my phone.

1. Storage Sense is taking long and only showing "Updating......" message. I have SANDISK 32 GB SD Card installed in my phone and Storage Sense is just showing "updating....." message for SD Card also.

2. I am not able to activate Reset Protection option and when in FIND MY Phone settings there is no option coming to enable it. I have registered my phone in Microsoft account and from Microsoft account I can send RING to my phone. I have also checked already reset protection for my phone is OFF.

Please help me to resolve both issues.

Thanks and regards,

Anurag

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Re: Lumix 640xl (Find my phone and Storage Sense)

Hello, Anurag, welcome to Windows Central.

For #1, how "long" have you waited for Storage Sense to finish "updating"? In my L1020, with 32GB of phone storage, it takes around 5-10 minutes depending on the time I last run the app - I think it went as long as 15 minutes at some point. Nonetheless, after waiting, I was able to view the categories properly.

Lilla45

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Re: Lumix 640xl (Find my phone and Storage Sense)

Anurag,
Did you format the card in your device initially? That is always a good idea. Another thing to consider: is it possible that your SD Card is a counterfeit? I have read that there are a lot of counterfeit cards out there, that look authentic, but do not work properly, so it is important to buy from a reliable source. Is your card a class 10? I've read that class 4 cards can be problematic, while others say their class 4 card is working fine for them.

I have a SanDisk Ultra UHS-1/Class 10 microSDHC 32GB 48MB/s card purchased from Amazon.com (not marketplace) and while I have only had my AT&T Lumia 640 XL LTE (RM-1063) for just a few days, all seems to be working fine (including Storage Sense). I formatted the card in my device before I started using it, believing that this is a good thing to do.

Last edited:

Anurag Goswami

Jul 5, 2015
Visit site
Hello,

Thank you for your response.

I have formatted my SD card before using it in my phone but it did not help. Also, I have started storage sense option tomorrow and till now it is just showing me "Updating....." message.

I have SanDisk Ultra UHS-1/Class 10 microSDHC 32GB which I had purchased from Amazon.in website, I had also tried to remove SD card from phone and tried storage sense without SD card but waited very long time but same status message "Updating....".

I am not really sure what is a problem, there is no update available for this phone now which can resolve my issue.

Please help me to resolve this issue.

Thanks and regards,

Anurag

Lilla45

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Anurag,

Thoughts:
* Consider: Is there any chance your SIM card is bad. As a test, try removing SIM card, and see if Storage Sense works properly.
* Power down your phone, then remove battery, sim card, and memory card. And then reinstall them to assure that all are seated properly.
* Try doing a reset. Three kinds/levels of reset can be perform. AT&T online help describes Reset this way:
"Reset: Perform a soft, factory, and alternate master reset of the device."

I would start with the least destructive and work my way up. You might want to backup your device before you start.

AT&T provides a nice video showing how to perform each type/level of reset. They also provide a nice interactive tutorial on this.
To view the video and tutorial, go to Cell Phone & Tablet Support - AT&T How-To Center and then search for reset.
While this instruction is provided by AT&T, I suspect it applies to all Lumia 640 XL devices.

If after trying the above, if the problem persists, it is probably time to see if you can return/exchange the device with the place you purchased it, or with Microsoft if it is warrantied by them. I purchased my phone from Microsoft Store (USA) online and they have a 30 day return policy.

Good luck. And please keep us posted on how it's going.

Lilla

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3