I put a glass screen protector to my device after buying.
    Afterwards I disliked the screen protector, so I got rid of it because I believed that my device has a corning gorilla glass 3.
    Although I treat it respectfully, I found a tiny scratch on screen, so I decided to get back a screen protector.
    So beware.
    gpobernardo and Laura Knotek like this.
    07-08-2015 11:31 AM
    Corning Gorilla Glass 3 is scratch resistant, but not scratch proof. Among the most common causes of scratches on such a material is sand (the quartz in sand, more specifically). Unfortunately, sand is also one of the most abundant substances and it can be airborne in some parts of the world.

One way to keep the screen scratch free is to regularly and gently wipe the oils from our hands and fingers off the screen so that the sand particles from the air, no matter how small, would not stick on the glass - it is important that the wiping process is gentle so that if ever there are sand particles already on the glass they won't be pressed against the screen (therefore scratching the screen).

I've had my L1020 for 1.5 years now and it also has Corning Gorilla Glass 3. It now has at least 10 1-mm long scratches at random places on the screen, but they are so small and minor that they can't be felt by the fingers, they don't get caught by the finger nails, and are not visible under normal circumstances (one has to clean the screen using a micro-fiber cloth, and then bounce off some light against the screen at certain angles to catch a glimpse of the scratches).

So, yes, Corning Gorilla Glass 3 can get scratched, even though not as easily as most other types of glass.
    Laura Knotek and Mogamy Cool like this.
    07-08-2015 12:13 PM
    07-08-2015 01:53 PM
    It took a month to get its first scratch, but I learned the lesson.
    gpobernardo likes this.
    07-08-2015 02:52 PM
    I would disagree about using liquid cleaning agents on Gorilla Glass. There has been an extensive and almost technical discussion about this elsewhere, but basically the chemical components in liquid cleaning agents can eventually remove the oleophobic coating of the glass - and its the oleophobic coating that gives most of the surface hardness of the glass, not the glass itself. Have a look at this thread.
    07-09-2015 02:22 AM
    I would disagree about using liquid cleaning agents on Gorilla Glass. There has been an extensive and almost technical discussion about this elsewhere, but basically the chemical components in liquid cleaning agents can eventually remove the oleophobic coating of the glass - and its the oleophobic coating that gives most of the surface hardness of the glass, not the glass itself. Have a look at this thread.
    Agreed, in principle I try not to use chemicals if I don't have to, which is why I posted in that thread that I only use water and paper towels for my phone screen.

WW
    gpobernardo likes this.
    07-09-2015 02:48 PM