10-01-2016 05:33 PM
266 12345 ...
tools
    Well I'm not really onto selfies they are a waste of time lol. I found the Lumia 520 in low light conditions with Lumia camera pretty good. Seriously I am very happy with it, I just have it now over two years and am looking for an upgrade,same OS but have better ram and equalizers as my Lumia 520 as u know it don't support equalizers and i have had to encode my music to 320kbps to get a greater crisp sound, at the start it was a little cumbersome but now I don't mind it as I've gotten used to it. I'm seriously excited after hearing all the great reviews of it so far, even the negatives I now know what to look out for. Thanks for your reply. :)

Oh ya just to add I don't really use skype but when I do its usually free voice calls so the front cam isn't really a selling point to me its more a bonus. Nice though to have full hd on it though ha ha

Ohhhh.At last I said I was just kidding lol
    Only want to say that buying 640xl
    Will be great choice. Nothing else
    Normally people loves selfie phones and flash on cam.And its really helpful in some cases.
    You don't want selfies, skype video calls......no big deal.

Yeh you are right in low light condition
    Lumia camera is good enough if we set shutter speed to 1 sec. And adjust other settings.
    As far as i know flash oprating range for Lumia is 1 to 4 meter. May be I am right.from lower to higher Lumia.
    Its not enough to capture long distance images clearly.
    I am talking about Lumia phones lower and mid rangers with f/2.4 aperature (and flash.)
    But for nearer objects photos or short distance photos flash is helpful in low light rather than just night mode or shuuter speed setting to 1 sec.
    As we all know night and low light photography is best on Lumia with f/1.9 phones like Lumia 720,730,735.
    And 640xl also f/2.0
    And there is no doubt about pureview cams.
    Certainly Lumia 520 neither have f/1.9, no flash, no pureview its a model with f/2.4 ,I also have Lumia 625 and 1320
    I would rather say that both sucks in low light but good in normal conditions. And their front cams are also not good enough.
    That's why I said how did you managed with your phone even it haven't flash.
    Don't know what is your mind set up or definition for good low light photography.
    But anyway enjoy buying your new device lol
    07-20-2015 05:45 AM
    I have a friend who recently moved from a Lumia 920 to a 640 and he is very happy with it.

A second baby meant economies had to be made, but the general march of technical improvement means it's more of a side-grade than a downgrade. From having handled it, I can say it feels really nice in the hands, so much so that I was tempted though I run the 930 myself. It feels good and solid without being heavy, so you won't feel you have to curate it. It is not as stylish and sexy as the 735, but I'm sure, having read your other thread, that you'll like it.

You were right by the way to pass on the 930 - and I can say that, because I own one and have not been plagued by 'issues' beyond a reluctance to wake up on double-tap of the screen. Amalthea, for that is her name, is beautiful, elegant, buttery smooth, has an outstanding camera and still catches the eye, but she is also too thick. She does not sit in the hand well and those sharp edges can trip the fingers.

I would say that if you don't want to wait for the autumn, the 640 is the way to go.

Whatever you decide, good luck with it and thanks for asking. :)

I think ill get this phone as I'm liking all the feedback. I'm getting the monster version ha ha my dad has the Samsung galaxy s4 and its 5.1' and the 640XL is 5.7' so I was looking at the samsung and she is gonna be a beast of a phone and with carl zeiss to boot oh I seriously cannot wait!!
    07-20-2015 09:59 AM
    Yes the phone support Class 10, I have installed on mine the "Samsung Plus 64GB Micro SD SDXC Class 10 UHS-I Memory card, Upto 48MB/S"

see the link bellow

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00IOY03QK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

Thanks Richard the king for helping out on this issue, I don't know much about the classes of sd cards it supports but I have learnt something from you. Great to know it does support this.
    RichardTheKing likes this.
    07-20-2015 10:01 AM
    IIRC, class 10 is the minimum Microsoft recommended. I use a Samsung 64GB Evo MicroSDXC UHS-I Grade (link below) in my HP Stream tablet and after the old SD card I had from my Lumia 620, the performance increase was dramatic. A good quality SD card is definitely worth the money.

Over the years I learned that when it comes to technical things, it's best to distrust the cheap option. They're not all the same and it's worth spending a little more without being slavish to the original manufacturer.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Memo...pUvbUpU3162695

Yes I agree often cheaper is not best but I have to say for a mid range even lower ended phone such as my current driver the Lumia 520 I have been well impressed with it, still as fresh as the day I bought it over two years ago. I have found the same can be said about cheaper dvd rw discs. Often the more expensive the better the read/burn and they last a bit longer (with due care of course) thanks for your feedback :)
    Last edited by djeire84; 07-20-2015 at 10:17 AM.
    07-20-2015 10:05 AM
    I am using Lumia 640XL and its a nice gadget. recently I made a video using Hyperlapse Mobile :[video]https://youtu.be/H-sPuYsFO_M[/url]

Omg dude that video is insane!! Did you do that within the phone or did u use a pc to edit the video? Have to say the before video capture was crystal clear. Nice views of your country too, looks nice there. Thanks for your video and your feedback.
    07-20-2015 10:10 AM
    Using the 640XL as my daily runner. It's a fantastic phone.
    I get approx 2 days usage with a single charge even with a lot of usage.
    07-20-2015 10:15 AM
    Ohhhh.At last I said I was just kidding lol
    Only want to say that buying 640xl
    Will be great choice. Nothing else
    Normally people loves selfie phones and flash on cam.And its really helpful in some cases.
    You don't want selfies, skype video calls......no big deal.

Yeh you are right in low light condition
    Lumia camera is good enough if we set shutter speed to 1 sec. And adjust other settings.
    As far as i know flash oprating range for Lumia is 1 to 4 meter. May be I am right.from lower to higher Lumia.
    Its not enough to capture long distance images clearly.
    I am talking about Lumia phones lower and mid rangers with f/2.4 aperature (and flash.)
    But for nearer objects photos or short distance photos flash is helpful in low light rather than just night mode or shuuter speed setting to 1 sec.
    As we all know night and low light photography is best on Lumia with f/1.9 phones like Lumia 720,730,735.
    And 640xl also f/2.0
    And there is no doubt about pureview cams.
    Certainly Lumia 520 neither have f/1.9, no flash, no pureview its a model with f/2.4 ,I also have Lumia 625 and 1320
    I would rather say that both sucks in low light but good in normal conditions. And their front cams are also not good enough.
    That's why I said how did you managed with your phone even it haven't flash.
    Don't know what is your mind set up or definition for good low light photography.
    But anyway enjoy buying your new device lol

I don't use my phone as a camera but the flash will definitely come in handy as I wont have to fix the lighting after the pic is taken, are pics really that bad though on the 640XL? A little disappointing but it wont be too much of an issue for me but ya that's not good :( ill mostly be using my phone for media music/mytube and using facebook but its nice to have a better cam then what's rocking my 520 at the moment. :)
    07-20-2015 10:16 AM
    Using the 640XL as my daily runner. It's a fantastic phone.

I get approx 2 days usage with a single charge even with a lot of usage.

Omg your kidding me that's serious usage time!! Wow now that's brilliant stats. It has a 300mah sure and the many video reviews I've watched says it lasts long but two days between charges for such a powerful phone is great!! Thank you so much.
    07-20-2015 10:20 AM
    Hello. I have Now Microsoft Lumia 640 XL.
    This device is amazing. Before 640 XL i have it lumia 535. AND 535 Sucks vs amazing 640 XL. Touch is amazing. Very good sound. Very good colors and Camera (13mp and 5mp front). BATTERY is ALL THE MONEY. Amazing battery life. And i have buy Cyan version 640 XL. +1
    djeire84 likes this.
    07-20-2015 10:21 AM
    Yes it is compatible, as well as MetroPCS (a T-Mobile company)
    07-20-2015 04:01 PM
    I'm using an international, dual SIM, 640 XL on T-Mobile with no issues. Pretty sure the wifi calling doesn't work. Obviously, not a deal breaker for me. I think it is RM-1065 and I bought it from B&H Photo.
    WiFi calling is not deal-breaker for me either.
    07-20-2015 08:47 PM
    coming from android and spending 2 days with my first MS phone, the 640xl seems a nice phone but the software both 8.1 and 10 are a cruel joke, years behind android.
    Last edited by Guytronic; 04-13-2016 at 11:51 PM.
    07-20-2015 09:03 PM
    Will the 640 XL be updated to windows 10
    07-20-2015 09:19 PM
    Will the 640 XL be updated to windows 10
    Yes, of course.
    Guytronic and barondebxl like this.
    07-20-2015 09:22 PM
    I think ill get this phone as I'm liking all the feedback. I'm getting the monster version ha ha my dad has the Samsung galaxy s4 and its 5.1' and the 640XL is 5.7' so I was looking at the samsung and she is gonna be a beast of a phone and with carl zeiss to boot oh I seriously cannot wait!!
    Once you get used to a big phone, there is no going back ;)

Seriously though, I've been using a 1520 for a few months, and when I handle my friend's 920 for "tech-support," I feel like I'm picking up a toy. That said, though the 1520 is beautiful/amazing with all the glorious tech stuffed into it (honestly, is it not throughly amazing???), the 1520 is a bit too big and a bit too heavy. The lower spec 640 XL is a winner, IMO. Plus, at about half the price, it is only half as much a disaster when the inevitable happens...
    Guytronic and djeire84 like this.
    07-21-2015 12:50 AM
    Its a good "cost effective product", but as Microsoft bans the possibility of writing maps on SD card, it uses big part of the 8gb memory; thats for I the bad side (even for others Lumia)
    Anyone as a tip to bypass that ?
    07-21-2015 01:42 AM
    Typing on my XL now. I have missed this beast. My only main concern is the lack of super sensitive touch that you normally find on the higher end Lumia models. But love this phone.
    djeire84 likes this.
    07-21-2015 01:54 AM
    Spend the money and get an unlocked Lumia 930. Gorgeous 20 megapixel camera, beautiful screen, 32 gigs of memory, and never hiccups when playing games.

I picked one up from Amazon (in white) replaced the back cover with orange and it's awesome.

And before people rag that it's not LTE I'm on T-Mobile and get HSPA+ pretty much anywhere I go. Never had an issue with battery life. Seems to average about 30 hours with normal usage.
    07-21-2015 04:00 AM
    I like the design of 640XL, however I don't recommend "software" system controls (back, home, search). I had L730 with the same feature and could not get used to it. Lack of camera button was less frustrating, I found it even convenient when putting the phone in the car holder.
    I felt a great relief when switched to L830 with "hardware" system controls.
    Before L730 I had L1320 - system controls were "hardware" type, but without backlight. After a short time I easily get used to it, because the controls "were always there" in the same place and I found that the lack of backlight was only a really minor issue.
    djeire84 likes this.
    07-21-2015 04:26 AM
    Its a good "cost effective product", but as Microsoft bans the possibility of writing maps on SD card, it uses big part of the 8gb memory; thats for I the bad side (even for others Lumia)
    Anyone as a tip to bypass that ?

I tried this app to store maps on sd card. It works.

https://forums.windowscentral.com/e?...token=EHqb7LRX
    07-21-2015 05:27 AM
    Ok, some will find this an odd move. But I came from a Lumia 1020 to the 640XL. (due to the fact the 1020 had to be repaired which took too long to not get annoyed/frustrated by iOS on an old iPhone 4S :-P).

Due to the fact that the 1020 lacked from failing storage memory the findings might be a bit biased. The 640XL is faster. Animates smoother. And sure i miss the 41MP camera, but the 13MP on the 640XL isn't bad at all (especially in macro shots), but having a camera app that opens in a split second is worth a 28MP loss if you get the camera ready in time for the right picture.

What I like also is the size. I always thought that the 1020 was big enough and any bigger would be awkward handling and storing it in jeans pockets for example. But I was wrong, the bigger screen is just a bliss, and my hands are big enough to do most operations still one handed. The lack of the camera bump (as on the 1020) makes it still storable in pant pockets (just be aware of it before you sit down).

Using it as my daily usage phone for 2 months now, I never considered going back to the 1020. Main reason: battery life. Medium to heavy user myself, it is a bliss to have > 30% battery after a day of work, instead of walking around with a charger/battery pack to make it through the work day.

The only cons I can think of:

- Missing hardware camera button (compensated by left - bottom medium tile on my (visible) homescreen)
    - 8GB internal memory. Ok with a class 10 64GB SD I got more memory than the 1020, but with it gives some more storage maintenance (after installing new apps)

Yellow was my black, Cyan is the new black. :-)

P.s. having used a 520 for work on WP8.0 and WP8.1 the step up to a 640XL is an excellent one if you care a bout budget and specs/buck.
    djeire84 likes this.
    07-21-2015 09:46 AM
    You know that you can set the system controls to always visible? Then they are always there too, just on screen. And enabling tactile feedback it gives (at least for me) the same experience as hardware buttons.
    djeire84 likes this.
    07-21-2015 09:52 AM
    Oh yeah the L640 XL.... I love it! It's great
    djeire84 likes this.
    07-21-2015 10:14 AM
    I got this just before a 2 week business trip overseas. I am back now. I had a Lumia 920 before this.

What I like:
    • The screen is nice. Easier to read web pages and email
    • It is very light-weight coming from L920
    • Battery last a long time
    • MicroSD slot, which is a necessity if you want any room for apps, music, and photos.
    • Has denim, couldn't get it from AT&T on the L920
    • Certain games that heated my L920 run cool on this.

What is disappointing a bit:
    • The camera performance, though I didn't have high expectations. Much worse than L920
    • Battery take a long time to charge
    • No wireless charging, though it may be a possible upgrade at some point.
    djeire84 likes this.
    07-21-2015 12:36 PM
    Does it has nfc?
    How is the touch quality..
    Considering it doesn't have sensitive touch..
    07-21-2015 12:55 PM
266 12345 ...