10-01-2016 06:33 PM
266 ... 56789 ...
tools
    I don't trust many of these "cheap" deal companies and anyway, Argos were cheaper than several of the UK suppliers that I looked at, nor was there any postage charge to pay. I originally bought one from an on line supplier, but it turned out not to be 4G which was why it was cheap, so I returned it and got a full refund. It was pure chance that I just checked Argos and they had it in stock. I wanted black anyway but I think they had orange too. I guess peace of mind comes into it but also the convenience of a short walk to my local Argos to collect it. Now I've had the phone for a few days I really love it and no longer use my android tablet. Android seems to be constantly updating its apps which is a pain, and the apps I like are all available on Windows and work much better thanon Android. My Galaxy S4 is now gathering dust as is my Nexus 7!
    08-05-2015 10:35 AM
    I don't trust many of these "cheap" deal companies and anyway, Argos were cheaper than several of the UK suppliers that I looked at, nor was there any postage charge to pay. I originally bought one from an on line supplier, but it turned out not to be 4G which was why it was cheap, so I returned it and got a full refund. It was pure chance that I just checked Argos and they had it in stock. I wanted black anyway but I think they had orange too. I guess peace of mind comes into it but also the convenience of a short walk to my local Argos to collect it. Now I've had the phone for a few days I really love it and no longer use my android tablet. Android seems to be constantly updating its apps which is a pain, and the apps I like are all available on Windows and work much better than on Android. My Galaxy S4 is now gathering dust as is my Nexus 7!
    08-05-2015 10:39 AM
    You will find the difference in size only for 2 days. Then you'll be wondering how you have been living with smaller screen size phone all these days.
    I agree. I had been using a small screen phone and bought the 640XL. I still have the Galaxy S4 on a different network, but I opt for my 640XL 90% of the time. The bigger screen is a must for me now!

Note, guys may find it too large for some pockets. I carry a shoulder bag and, of course, it fits in there with no problem. I can carry it in a jacket pocket or a side pants pocket, though. While it would fit in a back pocket, It is large enough that I would be worried that the screen might break if I were to sit down with it in a back pocket.

<TED>
    djeire84 likes this.
    08-05-2015 03:34 PM
    I still have the Galaxy S4 on a different network, but I opt for my 640XL 90% of the time. The bigger screen is a must for me now!

<TED>
    I'm always a little curious when I read stuff like this. Why would people waste money every month for multiple cell phone contracts or services? Are you in the states? Verizon and AT&T have virtually the same coverage areas, but for a very small (2%-3%) difference. Of course it's your business and maybe for you money is no object, but I never quite "get it" when I read things like this.
    08-05-2015 10:07 PM
    Does the lumia 640xl supports SDHC menory card of class 10(48/mb)
    08-09-2015 06:39 AM
    08-09-2015 06:58 AM
    I'm always a little curious when I read stuff like this. Why would people waste money every month for multiple cell phone contracts or services? Are you in the states? Verizon and AT&T have virtually the same coverage areas, but for a very small (2%-3%) difference. Of course it's your business and maybe for you money is no object, but I never quite "get it" when I read things like this.

I seriously debated having separate wireless coverage between my wife and I. She swears Verizon is better for her in the areas she travels. AT&T seems to work best for me. I'd manage two 'pay as you go' accounts from different carriers if it wasn't going to be outrageously higher than if we kept them on the same network. In most cases, the cost difference would be negligible.
    08-10-2015 02:16 PM
    I've been using an iPhone since the first iPhone came out and an Android device since the original Moto Droid. Today I use both an iPhone 6 Plus and a Note 4. I love these devices but I was beginning to get bored with both iOS and Android.

I'd been wanting to try Windows Phone for a while and wanted a cheap, inexpensive way to do it. I was looking for a new screen protector for my iPhone when I saw the orange 640XL dual sim and decided to give it a shot. I've been pleasantly surprised by how much the 640XL can do well -- it's fun to use, the hardware isn't bad and the dreaded 'lack of app support' criticism turned out to be overblow (at least in terms of the apps I regularly use on Android and iOS). Moreover, I was impressed by the software optimization: the UI experience on WP is very smooth/'buttery' and on-par with iOS by and large. It's something that Android was only able to achieve in the past couple of years (Touchwiz being one notable bottleneck) with better HW and better underlying code. The camera isn't a slouch either -- and that's comparing it to the shooters on the Note 4 (generally regarded as the best on Android -- it's basically the same H/W as the one on the S6) and iPhone 6 Plus.

In any case, the Lumia 640XL has convinced me to get Microsoft's next flagship phablet together with the Moto X Style and iPhone 6S Plus once these are available.
    Laura Knotek, libra89 and djeire84 like this.
    08-15-2015 01:03 AM
    I've been using an iPhone since the first iPhone came out and an Android device since the original Moto Droid. Today I use both an iPhone 6 Plus and a Note 4. I love these devices but I was beginning to get bored with both iOS and Android.

I'd been wanting to try Windows Phone for a while and wanted a cheap, inexpensive way to do it. I was looking for a new screen protector for my iPhone when I saw the orange 640XL dual sim and decided to give it a shot. I've been pleasantly surprised by how much the 640XL can do well -- it's fun to use, the hardware isn't bad and the dreaded 'lack of app support' criticism turned out to be overblow (at least in terms of the apps I regularly use on Android and iOS). Moreover, I was impressed by the software optimization: the UI experience on WP is very smooth/'buttery' and on-par with iOS by and large. It's something that Android was only able to achieve in the past couple of years (Touchwiz being one notable bottleneck) with better HW and better underlying code. The camera isn't a slouch either -- and that's comparing it to the shooters on the Note 4 (generally regarded as the best on Android -- it's basically the same H/W as the one on the S6) and iPhone 6 Plus.

In any case, the Lumia 640XL has convinced me to get Microsoft's next flagship phablet together with the Moto X Style and iPhone 6S Plus once these are available.
    Cool! That'll be fun to play with all three.
    08-15-2015 01:29 AM
    My wife and I had an L830 each on ATT until 2 weeks ago (purchased Nov 14). Due to the lack of support for Denim and questionable upgrade to W10 mobile and the missing camera features the L830 was sold with and never delivered we got rid of them (full refund) and tried the BLU Win HD LTE and the 640 XL. It didn't take long and we settled on the 640 XL. Purchased the unlocked, dual SIM international version (RM-1096) from Amazon and have been running it for almost a week now.

We both really like the 640 XL. We are missing wireless charging but there may be options to change that according to threads here on WPCentral.

Even though the BLU Win HD LTE has a newer processor, there is no difference in UI experience. The colors and brightness of the 640 XL are on par with the L830 and my wife loves that everything is larger (while I interop unlocked mine and got some more screen estate by setting text size and setting tiles in registry). The biggest downsides with the BLU Win HD LTE were missing glance, odd keyboard behavior (my wife is a fast typer and got really frustrated, while swiping doesn't seem to be an issue) and the glass of the two we had was not smooth and it wasn't easy to swipe and move your finger unless it was really dry. One other missing key feature for me was that there is no way to interop unlock the BLU. All that is solved with the 640 XL.
    Immediate reaction from friends, co-workers is: that is a big phone....
    As somebody here already stated, I got used to the larger size in two days and really like it. Only problem now is to find a good holster and maybe case for it.

edit1: battery life is great as well on mine. End of day I still have over 70% left, couldn't believe it. My wife has 60% but she uses hers a lot compared to me.
    Last edited by Derausgewanderte; 08-17-2015 at 09:27 PM.
    libra89 and djeire84 like this.
    08-15-2015 02:47 PM
    I own both the 640 and the 640 XL and I'm still deciding which one, if any, to keep. The 640 XL is fun to mess around with, it's very nice for searching the web and watching videos and I would guess for playing games (though I'm not a gamer at all), but to have it as your (well, my) main phone seems a bit cumbersome so far after about a week and a half or so, you just know it's there all the time when it's on your body. The 640 seems like a really good compromise plus it's easier to use one handed and front pocket-able. The 640 XL fits in the front pocket of all my jeans and pants but I'm much more aware of it and nervous that I'll bend it when sitting down with it in there.

The build quality for both phones is very good, they don't feel or look cheap at all. The 720p screen are very nice and the 640 XL has True Black technology (the 640 has a lesser True Black version implemented, but still looks fine). To my wife and I the 640 XL's screen looks a tad better, clearer, maybe sharper, just a little better. You would think the because the 640 is packed with my pixels it would look like the better display. That being said the difference is minor even when compared side by side. The whites look better on the 640 XL for sure, they are much whiter than the 640 which are "dingy" in side by side comparison, but again you'll likely not notice it using the 640 on it's own.

There is relatively minor but noticeable scrolling lag when web browsing on both phones on many sites, this is my main gripe and I'm trying to get past it, still not sure if I can. Compared to Android it often takes more steps/taps to accomplish tasks, though I'm told W10 update will change some of this.

I like the look and feel of Windows Phone. I'm not a big third party app guy and I understand coming over from Android it will take some time to find my way around, so I'm giving it some time. That being said, I'm not sure the 640 XL is for me, the thought of a phablet might have been better than the reality for me, just not sure I have much use for such a big phone. In fact before I turned to Windows Phone I was considering the first generation Moto X with it's 4.7" screen and very small overall footprint.. and I'm still considering it as I'm finding I like the idea of my phone just being in my pocket.. just there when I need it, but not something I have to think too about much. We shall see!
    libra89, Eisenhorn76 and djeire84 like this.
    08-16-2015 11:26 AM
    Ok here it goes ha ha. Where to begin on my Lumia 640XL. I got it from the nice folks at Komplett.ie delivered by UPS this morning so I have yet to experience battery life and such. I absolutely love this phablet. I have been so lost without it the keyboard is a nice size too I can fly as I type and ar less mistakes. My two thumbs are going at ninety mile an hour like the old T9 dictionary of old. The sound from the speaker is brilliant almost like having your own docking station within the phablet. It came with Windows 8 update 2 so no need to do the reg edit I had to on my 520. The video quality is just amazing full HD crisp and clear. I have to say I a little disappointed in the pic quality but with a little messing (I always do this with every device even my digital cam) I got perfect pics with the right amount if saturation. Sound from the headphones in-fricken-credible seriously its great to have equalisers I know I said the same above but had to say it twice!! Overall I find it brilliant and no stutter at all i have seamless swiping and closing of apps and moving down through internet explorer I find it really responsive to my touch.
    Overall score 5 stars out of 5. I love it and I couldn't of done this without all your wonderful feedback. Thanks to all my amazing Windows Central family. Thank you thank you.
    ire O Callaghan
    08-17-2015 08:40 PM
    Ok here it goes ha ha. Where to begin on my Lumia 640XL. I got it from the nice folks at Komplett.ie delivered by UPS this morning so I have yet to experience battery life and such. I absolutely love this phablet. I have been so lost without it the keyboard is a nice size too I can fly as I type and ar less mistakes. My two thumbs are going at ninety mile an hour like the old T9 dictionary of old. The sound from the speaker is brilliant almost like having your own docking station within the phablet. It came with Windows 8 update 2 so no need to do the reg edit I had to on my 520. The video quality is just amazing full HD crisp and clear. I have to say I a little disappointed in the pic quality but with a little messing (I always do this with every device even my digital cam) I got perfect pics with the right amount if saturation. Sound from the headphones in-fricken-credible seriously its great to have equalisers I know I said the same above but had to say it twice!! Overall I find it brilliant and no stutter at all i have seamless swiping and closing of apps and moving down through internet explorer I find it really responsive to my touch.
    Overall score 5 stars out of 5. I love it and I couldn't of done this without all your wonderful feedback. Thanks to all my amazing Windows Central family. Thank you thank you.
    ire O Callaghan
    Awesome :D just put a nice screen protector on it . And if you like , you can add a case as well. :)
    08-17-2015 11:56 PM
    Awesome :D just put a nice screen protector on it . And if you like , you can add a case as well. :)

I'm well ahead of u I got a really pretty one off ebay.
    Raymond George likes this.
    08-18-2015 07:00 AM
    Just a little screenshot of my startscreen I'm so happy with my new phone.
    Attached Thumbnails wp_ss_20150819_0001.png  
    08-18-2015 08:19 PM
    Bump :)
    12-24-2015 07:34 PM
    A very worth while thread full of info and user reviews! I love my 640 XL and so happy its mine 💜
    01-14-2016 11:47 PM
    this thread really help me a lot.
    djeire84 likes this.
    01-15-2016 12:30 AM
    should've waited for the 950
    01-15-2016 12:47 AM
    this thread really help me a lot.

That's great to hear I am happy that you found it useful.
    01-15-2016 10:44 AM
    should've waited for the 950

No im happy with the 640 XL as its running wp8.1 update 2 and its a finished OS I have seen nothing but problems on this forum with people having the 950 XL and its smaller brother as wp10 is unfinished and its loaded on it out the box and as far as I know you cant flash 8.1 onto it. No im happy with my 640 XL.
    Zane Yacoob likes this.
    01-15-2016 10:47 AM
    Just a little bump for those of you wishing to buy the 640 XL as it's a cracking good phone!!
    01-31-2016 07:31 PM
    I would argue that Windows 8.1 is one of the better mobile operating systems out there, and when paired with modest hardware it tends to outperform the competition within the similar spec range. This isn't a Galaxy S running the latest Android with a octa-core processor and 4GB of RAM. However, it's far removed from the string and tin can of your youth. If you can get the 640 XL for $200 or less new, or $130 or less used, it's a solid buy.

I recently used a Moto G 2015 and quickly came back to this phone.
    02-09-2016 05:23 PM
    Im in the process of mulling over the 640 and the 640 XL or go back to what I had before, a Lumia 930 then I jumped to Android (cant get on with it, miss the live tiles etc). Thing is will i miss the 2GB ram and fantastic screen of the 930, also its only got 8GB memory, that's plain crazy low, I really liked windows 10 on my old 930, ran so smooth, so hoping it will run the same on a 640 XL.
    02-11-2016 10:06 AM
    Im in the process of mulling over the 640 and the 640 XL or go back to what I had before, a Lumia 930 then I jumped to Android (cant get on with it, miss the live tiles etc). Thing is will i miss the 2GB ram and fantastic screen of the 930, also its only got 8GB memory, that's plain crazy low, I really liked windows 10 on my old 930, ran so smooth, so hoping it will run the same on a 640 XL.
    Thing is, with Windows 10 you don't necessarily need more than 8GB of on board storage. It helps, yes, but so long as you can move applications to the SD card you are covered. With Windows 10 you can install maps to external storage, which was a huge space waster on phones with less than 32 or 16 GB of storage.
    djeire84 likes this.
    02-12-2016 09:01 AM
266 ... 56789 ...