**Thinking of buying the Microsoft Lumia 640XL please give me your experiences with it be it good or

DuncanF62

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I shipped a 640XL to the UK from Hong Kong so I could have a dual SIM phone to take with me on holiday to Singapore/Malaysia. My daily driver is a 930. I'm very pleased with the 640. UK SIM in one slot and a Singapore or Malaysia SIM in the other.

Bonkers deal on the HiTourist! SIM in Singapore: 500 mins, 500 texts, 30 international mins and 100GB (yes GB!) of data, valid for one week for just GBP8!! With 4G on all their transit systems I managed to chew through 3GB in three days!

We've driven the length of peninsula Malaysia and also through Sarawak and Here Drive+ has not missed a beat. Here Transit works really well in Singapore and KL. One bug in Here Drive+ ... in some of the offbeat places we've driven with no mobile signal it hangs when it cannot connect to data. That's a pain, but solved by disabling data for the app. Bad bug though - it should just say "cannot get data" and carry on.

All in all I'm mightily impressed for the GBP140 it cost me. I will (probably) go back to the 930 when I get back to the UK as I do notice the speed difference in app switching/resumption but the resolution difference is not an issue.

I'll certainly be looking at the 940, and probably the XL version, if/when that comes out. I hope it comes in a dual SIM, removable battery, Qi charging, SD card capable variant. That would tick all my boxes.

My travel buddy is considering ditching her iDevice for a 640XL so impressed has she been with the core app suite ....

ak_r7

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
So friends, my device was delivered today, set up almost complete. I need help with following two questions:
1. Any way to copy sms from iPhone to my lumia ?
2. As of now, all apps I have installed are on phone. Memory card will be delivered in a few days. Once I get my memory card, do a factory reset, restore from current backup- will I be able to move installed apps on SD card? Do I need to do a factory reset or can I directly move installed apps to SD card??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ak_r7

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
And I forgot to mention- this device is awesome feather light, no lags or shutter. Worth every penny

Rakesh Rocky2

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
So friends, my device was delivered today, set up almost complete. I need help with following two questions:
1. Any way to copy sms from iPhone to my lumia ?
2. As of now, all apps I have installed are on phone. Memory card will be delivered in a few days. Once I get my memory card, do a factory reset, restore from current backup- will I be able to move installed apps on SD card? Do I need to do a factory reset or can I directly move installed apps to SD card??

You can directly move apps using storage sense ..

Mohak Adav

May 1, 2013
Visit site
Well I did went to Microsoft Care, they saying the phone has Liquid Damage, can't replace or repair even under warranty for free. So now my 640 XL is useless , been again using my old beloved L720. I'm gonna courier the device to Microsoft and ask them to keep the device them , lol :p

A-G-X

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
I'm evaulating to buy the XL version for the better camera.

But i'm a little scared about the size of this phone.

Actually i used an iPhone 4S and the size upgrade... is clear :D

What do you suggest?

I'm evaulating to buy only for the better camera, but i see that the basic 640 still do very good photos... there is a very high upgrade of quality from 640 to XL?

I hope to read some suggestion based on experience

Thanks

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
I just ordered it today, thanks to all your wonderful feedback. I'll leave this topic open as it seems to help others wanting to switch or upgrade, once mine comes ill post my review here.

Thank you so much everyone xx 😊

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
In so far as pic quality I have played around with my settings on my L520 and i have gotten excellent pic quality so ill be doing same for my 640XL as like when you buy any device you must tailor make it to suit your needs and wants. :)

Anthony East

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
I don't trust many of these "cheap" deal companies and anyway, Argos were cheaper than several of the UK suppliers that I looked at, nor was there any postage charge to pay. I originally bought one from an on line supplier, but it turned out not to be 4G which was why it was cheap, so I returned it and got a full refund. It was pure chance that I just checked Argos and they had it in stock. I wanted black anyway but I think they had orange too. I guess peace of mind comes into it but also the convenience of a short walk to my local Argos to collect it. Now I've had the phone for a few days I really love it and no longer use my android tablet. Android seems to be constantly updating its apps which is a pain, and the apps I like are all available on Windows and work much better thanon Android. My Galaxy S4 is now gathering dust as is my Nexus 7!

Anthony East

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
I don't trust many of these "cheap" deal companies and anyway, Argos were cheaper than several of the UK suppliers that I looked at, nor was there any postage charge to pay. I originally bought one from an on line supplier, but it turned out not to be 4G which was why it was cheap, so I returned it and got a full refund. It was pure chance that I just checked Argos and they had it in stock. I wanted black anyway but I think they had orange too. I guess peace of mind comes into it but also the convenience of a short walk to my local Argos to collect it. Now I've had the phone for a few days I really love it and no longer use my android tablet. Android seems to be constantly updating its apps which is a pain, and the apps I like are all available on Windows and work much better than on Android. My Galaxy S4 is now gathering dust as is my Nexus 7!

tedj101

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
You will find the difference in size only for 2 days. Then you'll be wondering how you have been living with smaller screen size phone all these days.

I agree. I had been using a small screen phone and bought the 640XL. I still have the Galaxy S4 on a different network, but I opt for my 640XL 90% of the time. The bigger screen is a must for me now!

Note, guys may find it too large for some pockets. I carry a shoulder bag and, of course, it fits in there with no problem. I can carry it in a jacket pocket or a side pants pocket, though. While it would fit in a back pocket, It is large enough that I would be worried that the screen might break if I were to sit down with it in a back pocket.

<TED>

perpleSlerp

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
I still have the Galaxy S4 on a different network, but I opt for my 640XL 90% of the time. The bigger screen is a must for me now!

<TED>

I'm always a little curious when I read stuff like this. Why would people waste money every month for multiple cell phone contracts or services? Are you in the states? Verizon and AT&T have virtually the same coverage areas, but for a very small (2%-3%) difference. Of course it's your business and maybe for you money is no object, but I never quite "get it" when I read things like this.

neodk

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
I'm always a little curious when I read stuff like this. Why would people waste money every month for multiple cell phone contracts or services? Are you in the states? Verizon and AT&T have virtually the same coverage areas, but for a very small (2%-3%) difference. Of course it's your business and maybe for you money is no object, but I never quite "get it" when I read things like this.

I seriously debated having separate wireless coverage between my wife and I. She swears Verizon is better for her in the areas she travels. AT&T seems to work best for me. I'd manage two 'pay as you go' accounts from different carriers if it wasn't going to be outrageously higher than if we kept them on the same network. In most cases, the cost difference would be negligible.

Eisenhorn76

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
I've been using an iPhone since the first iPhone came out and an Android device since the original Moto Droid. Today I use both an iPhone 6 Plus and a Note 4. I love these devices but I was beginning to get bored with both iOS and Android.

I'd been wanting to try Windows Phone for a while and wanted a cheap, inexpensive way to do it. I was looking for a new screen protector for my iPhone when I saw the orange 640XL dual sim and decided to give it a shot. I've been pleasantly surprised by how much the 640XL can do well -- it's fun to use, the hardware isn't bad and the dreaded 'lack of app support' criticism turned out to be overblow (at least in terms of the apps I regularly use on Android and iOS). Moreover, I was impressed by the software optimization: the UI experience on WP is very smooth/'buttery' and on-par with iOS by and large. It's something that Android was only able to achieve in the past couple of years (Touchwiz being one notable bottleneck) with better HW and better underlying code. The camera isn't a slouch either -- and that's comparing it to the shooters on the Note 4 (generally regarded as the best on Android -- it's basically the same H/W as the one on the S6) and iPhone 6 Plus.

In any case, the Lumia 640XL has convinced me to get Microsoft's next flagship phablet together with the Moto X Style and iPhone 6S Plus once these are available.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I've been using an iPhone since the first iPhone came out and an Android device since the original Moto Droid. Today I use both an iPhone 6 Plus and a Note 4. I love these devices but I was beginning to get bored with both iOS and Android.

I'd been wanting to try Windows Phone for a while and wanted a cheap, inexpensive way to do it. I was looking for a new screen protector for my iPhone when I saw the orange 640XL dual sim and decided to give it a shot. I've been pleasantly surprised by how much the 640XL can do well -- it's fun to use, the hardware isn't bad and the dreaded 'lack of app support' criticism turned out to be overblow (at least in terms of the apps I regularly use on Android and iOS). Moreover, I was impressed by the software optimization: the UI experience on WP is very smooth/'buttery' and on-par with iOS by and large. It's something that Android was only able to achieve in the past couple of years (Touchwiz being one notable bottleneck) with better HW and better underlying code. The camera isn't a slouch either -- and that's comparing it to the shooters on the Note 4 (generally regarded as the best on Android -- it's basically the same H/W as the one on the S6) and iPhone 6 Plus.

In any case, the Lumia 640XL has convinced me to get Microsoft's next flagship phablet together with the Moto X Style and iPhone 6S Plus once these are available.
Cool! That'll be fun to play with all three.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
My wife and I had an L830 each on ATT until 2 weeks ago (purchased Nov 14). Due to the lack of support for Denim and questionable upgrade to W10 mobile and the missing camera features the L830 was sold with and never delivered we got rid of them (full refund) and tried the BLU Win HD LTE and the 640 XL. It didn't take long and we settled on the 640 XL. Purchased the unlocked, dual SIM international version (RM-1096) from Amazon and have been running it for almost a week now.

We both really like the 640 XL. We are missing wireless charging but there may be options to change that according to threads here on WPCentral.

Even though the BLU Win HD LTE has a newer processor, there is no difference in UI experience. The colors and brightness of the 640 XL are on par with the L830 and my wife loves that everything is larger (while I interop unlocked mine and got some more screen estate by setting text size and setting tiles in registry). The biggest downsides with the BLU Win HD LTE were missing glance, odd keyboard behavior (my wife is a fast typer and got really frustrated, while swiping doesn't seem to be an issue) and the glass of the two we had was not smooth and it wasn't easy to swipe and move your finger unless it was really dry. One other missing key feature for me was that there is no way to interop unlock the BLU. All that is solved with the 640 XL.
Immediate reaction from friends, co-workers is: that is a big phone....
As somebody here already stated, I got used to the larger size in two days and really like it. Only problem now is to find a good holster and maybe case for it.

edit1: battery life is great as well on mine. End of day I still have over 70% left, couldn't believe it. My wife has 60% but she uses hers a lot compared to me.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium