**Thinking of buying the Microsoft Lumia 640XL please give me your experiences with it be it good or

peter6173

Jul 21, 2015
Visit site
coming from android and spending 2 days with my first MS phone, the 640xl seems a nice phone but the software both 8.1 and 10 are a cruel joke, years behind android.

Last edited by a moderator:

anon(5339110)

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I think ill get this phone as I'm liking all the feedback. I'm getting the monster version ha ha my dad has the Samsung galaxy s4 and its 5.1' and the 640XL is 5.7' so I was looking at the samsung and she is gonna be a beast of a phone and with carl zeiss to boot oh I seriously cannot wait!!
Once you get used to a big phone, there is no going back ;)

Seriously though, I've been using a 1520 for a few months, and when I handle my friend's 920 for "tech-support," I feel like I'm picking up a toy. That said, though the 1520 is beautiful/amazing with all the glorious tech stuffed into it (honestly, is it not throughly amazing???), the 1520 is a bit too big and a bit too heavy. The lower spec 640 XL is a winner, IMO. Plus, at about half the price, it is only half as much a disaster when the inevitable happens...

marcox92

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Its a good "cost effective product", but as Microsoft bans the possibility of writing maps on SD card, it uses big part of the 8gb memory; thats for I the bad side (even for others Lumia)
Anyone as a tip to bypass that ?

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Typing on my XL now. I have missed this beast. My only main concern is the lack of super sensitive touch that you normally find on the higher end Lumia models. But love this phone.

anon(5530345)

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
Spend the money and get an unlocked Lumia 930. Gorgeous 20 megapixel camera, beautiful screen, 32 gigs of memory, and never hiccups when playing games.

I picked one up from Amazon (in white) replaced the back cover with orange and it's awesome.

And before people rag that it's not LTE I'm on T-Mobile and get HSPA+ pretty much anywhere I go. Never had an issue with battery life. Seems to average about 30 hours with normal usage.

fx747

Mar 18, 2015
Visit site
I like the design of 640XL, however I don't recommend "software" system controls (back, home, search). I had L730 with the same feature and could not get used to it. Lack of camera button was less frustrating, I found it even convenient when putting the phone in the car holder.
I felt a great relief when switched to L830 with "hardware" system controls.
Before L730 I had L1320 - system controls were "hardware" type, but without backlight. After a short time I easily get used to it, because the controls "were always there" in the same place and I found that the lack of backlight was only a really minor issue.

JeeWeetje

Sep 29, 2009
Visit site
Ok, some will find this an odd move. But I came from a Lumia 1020 to the 640XL. (due to the fact the 1020 had to be repaired which took too long to not get annoyed/frustrated by iOS on an old iPhone 4S :p).

Due to the fact that the 1020 lacked from failing storage memory the findings might be a bit biased. The 640XL is faster. Animates smoother. And sure i miss the 41MP camera, but the 13MP on the 640XL isn't bad at all (especially in macro shots), but having a camera app that opens in a split second is worth a 28MP loss if you get the camera ready in time for the right picture.

What I like also is the size. I always thought that the 1020 was big enough and any bigger would be awkward handling and storing it in jeans pockets for example. But I was wrong, the bigger screen is just a bliss, and my hands are big enough to do most operations still one handed. The lack of the camera bump (as on the 1020) makes it still storable in pant pockets (just be aware of it before you sit down).

Using it as my daily usage phone for 2 months now, I never considered going back to the 1020. Main reason: battery life. Medium to heavy user myself, it is a bliss to have > 30% battery after a day of work, instead of walking around with a charger/battery pack to make it through the work day.

The only cons I can think of:

- Missing hardware camera button (compensated by left - bottom medium tile on my (visible) homescreen)
- 8GB internal memory. Ok with a class 10 64GB SD I got more memory than the 1020, but with it gives some more storage maintenance (after installing new apps)

Yellow was my black, Cyan is the new black. :)

P.s. having used a 520 for work on WP8.0 and WP8.1 the step up to a 640XL is an excellent one if you care a bout budget and specs/buck.

JeeWeetje

Sep 29, 2009
Visit site
You know that you can set the system controls to always visible? Then they are always there too, just on screen. And enabling tactile feedback it gives (at least for me) the same experience as hardware buttons.

jason8957

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I got this just before a 2 week business trip overseas. I am back now. I had a Lumia 920 before this.

What I like:
  • The screen is nice. Easier to read web pages and email
  • It is very light-weight coming from L920
  • Battery last a long time
  • MicroSD slot, which is a necessity if you want any room for apps, music, and photos.
  • Has denim, couldn't get it from AT&T on the L920
  • Certain games that heated my L920 run cool on this.
What is disappointing a bit:
  • The camera performance, though I didn't have high expectations. Much worse than L920
  • Battery take a long time to charge
  • No wireless charging, though it may be a possible upgrade at some point.

anon(516601)

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I find the the blurry text and text looking like its cut in half issue is only present within some apps, the MSN News app being the worst offender, when you scroll down within a news story or something similar. I don't get it with the web browser or in the People/Messaging/email apps at all.

Coming from iphone 5 these are the cons that i noticed:

1. Blurry text. i know i cant compare it with retina screen but glance screen text is jagged, text in windows central app is blurry and looks like it is cut in half
  2. stutter when scrolling, especially when you are holding your thumb on the screen and slowly scrolling it.
  3. background apps. THe iphone 5 can resume apps quickly and continue what i was doing but 640 xl will show resume screen/loading screen
  4. Apps. i dont use many apps but i cant even find a decent rar file comic reader. I am using cover now which i think is the best but it tooks very long to render pages, crash consistently. Other than that is readit which stutter when scrolling and loading comments
  5. Touch sensitivity. i dont think 640xl recognize touches that well. A short swipe will sometimes recognized as a tap.

These are the major things that i encountered. I may upgrade to the new flagship or back to iphone. All i want is smooth experience.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos