**Thinking of buying the Microsoft Lumia 640XL please give me your experiences with it be it good or

Draganta

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I just upgraded from 1320 today and I am so glad. Amazing phone, much better screen than the 1320 and the camera is amazing. Only thing I miss is the dedicated camera button.

I see some people have stutter when scrolling, I must say, I don't have it, not when scrolling slow, or fast. Maybe it is caused by an app?

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I just upgraded from 1320 today and I am so glad. Amazing phone, much better screen than the 1320 and the camera is amazing. Only thing I miss is the dedicated camera button.

I see some people have stutter when scrolling, I must say, I don't have it, not when scrolling slow, or fast. Maybe it is caused by an app?

It may not be noticeable to you due to coming from the 1320 but me from the 1520, I do notice it a bit. Nothing too major though and certainly not a deal breaker.

jaredweb

May 10, 2015
Visit site
Are people actually comparing a $900 iPhone with the Lumia 640XL? Just checking.

Also, I just came from a Nexus 6 and an iPhone 6 Plus. Great phones but I definitely prefer my Lumia 640 (don't have the XL yet)
Yes Windows phone is 'different' from the competitors... it just works for me. Loving the change.

640 runs butter smooth and takes decent pics... all for $99 no contract!

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I used to own a Lumia 520 as well. I am using a Lumia 640XL Cyan now. Read the post of coconutxyz. Don't know what Lumia 640XL he is using (if he is even really using one at all) but I completely disagree with what he says about the Lumia 640 XL. SURE the Lumia 640XL is not a flagship phone, but after using it as my everyday phone for about 2 months now, I would definitely recommend it if your planning on buying one. You May watch video reviews of the phone to know more about what it can offer. So far, I am not disappointed with it's performance.

Actually his points are valid, relative to the iPhone 5.
Relative to the 520:
  1. Text is sharper
  2. Less stutter while scrolling
  3. This is a side effect of WP8 apps. Windows 10 apps load faster
  4. Relevance?
  5. Could it be that his palm touches the display? Easy to do with a phablet. Either way its going to work better than the 520 XD

Lumia 640XL is a solid upgrade from the 520, but at its current price I'd rather look for a gently used/refurbished 830/930/1520.

coconutxyz

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
i am comparing it against iphone 5 which is quite old running ios 8....as for the text rendering bug, i've seen it happens on 830 and 930 as well, wish it was a software rather than hardware problem

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
i am comparing it against iphone 5 which is quite old running ios 8....as for the text rendering bug, i've seen it happens on 830 and 930 as well, wish it was a software rather than hardware problem

Stuttering during scrolling is because of the way lists are implemented. Text rendering is because of scaling issues.
Both are being addressed in Windows 10.

Want proof that text rendering is a software issue? Look at the screenshot above ;)
If it were a hardware issue the text wouldn't be "cut off".

I'd say the 640XL is in all respects a superior phone to the 520. Whether or not the PPI of the iPhone 5 is larger is insignificant to the discussion XD

I think the OP is bored of small phones

neodk

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
I think too much fuss is made about the DPI of the screen compared to other devices. It won't have the sharpest text nor does it have a 1080P, full HD or even QHD display. It works, and that in the end is what matters. If higher DPI and full/QHD are a requirement, this is not the phone for you. You won't go blind using this display trying to read anything, and videos and games overall render nicely on the display. The only issues I have run into are with certain apps not scaling properly.

Anthony East

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
I've just bought one today as a replacement for my Samsung Ativ S which was an excellent phone but didn't have 4G. Here in the UK there is a chain of stores called Argos and I paid just ?169.95 which is a very good price unless you buy from a Hong Kong based company. So far it has been incredibly easy to set up having restored everything from backup. The screen is crystal clear and I intend to use it as a tablet although it's rather smaller than my Nexus 7, but I just hate android. You may need to download a user manual from Microsoft's website but it's all pretty transparent and I'd also suggest that you get a screensaver and protective case. It may be a cheap phone but you don't want a cracked screen.

I notice that the charger is only 120 milliamps whereas my S4 one is 2 Amp and consequently much faster. Any electricians out there who know if it would be safe to use it on a 640 XL?

Anyway, I recommend the phone and can't see any reason to wait for a higher spec phone with a much higher price, however tempting that might be.

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Hello. I have Now Microsoft Lumia 640 XL.
This device is amazing. Before 640 XL i have it lumia 535. AND 535 Sucks vs amazing 640 XL. Touch is amazing. Very good sound. Very good colors and Camera (13mp and 5mp front). BATTERY is ALL THE MONEY. Amazing battery life. And i have buy Cyan version 640 XL. +1

I'm so happy your enjoying it. Yes all the reviews are good so far. Thanks for your review :)

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Spend the money and get an unlocked Lumia 930. Gorgeous 20 megapixel camera, beautiful screen, 32 gigs of memory, and never hiccups when playing games.

I picked one up from Amazon (in white) replaced the back cover with orange and it's awesome.

And before people rag that it's not LTE I'm on T-Mobile and get HSPA+ pretty much anywhere I go. Never had an issue with battery life. Seems to average about 30 hours with normal usage.

I had a previous post about this phone and the lack of expandable storage and non removable battery was a deal breaker. So I have my sights set on the 640XL but I'm happy ur having a good XP with the 930.

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Ok, some will find this an odd move. But I came from a Lumia 1020 to the 640XL. (due to the fact the 1020 had to be repaired which took too long to not get annoyed/frustrated by iOS on an old iPhone 4S :p).

Due to the fact that the 1020 lacked from failing storage memory the findings might be a bit biased. The 640XL is faster. Animates smoother. And sure i miss the 41MP camera, but the 13MP on the 640XL isn't bad at all (especially in macro shots), but having a camera app that opens in a split second is worth a 28MP loss if you get the camera ready in time for the right picture.

What I like also is the size. I always thought that the 1020 was big enough and any bigger would be awkward handling and storing it in jeans pockets for example. But I was wrong, the bigger screen is just a bliss, and my hands are big enough to do most operations still one handed. The lack of the camera bump (as on the 1020) makes it still storable in pant pockets (just be aware of it before you sit down).

Using it as my daily usage phone for 2 months now, I never considered going back to the 1020. Main reason: battery life. Medium to heavy user myself, it is a bliss to have > 30% battery after a day of work, instead of walking around with a charger/battery pack to make it through the work day.

The only cons I can think of:

- Missing hardware camera button (compensated by left - bottom medium tile on my (visible) homescreen)
- 8GB internal memory. Ok with a class 10 64GB SD I got more memory than the 1020, but with it gives some more storage maintenance (after installing new apps)

Yellow was my black, Cyan is the new black. :)

P.s. having used a 520 for work on WP8.0 and WP8.1 the step up to a 640XL is an excellent one if you care a bout budget and specs/buck.

Thank you so much for your extensive review. Wow amazing stuff there. Thank you so much. :)

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
I got this just before a 2 week business trip overseas. I am back now. I had a Lumia 920 before this.

What I like:

• The screen is nice. Easier to read web pages and email
  • It is very light-weight coming from L920
  • Battery last a long time
  • MicroSD slot, which is a necessity if you want any room for apps, music, and photos.
  • Has denim, couldn't get it from AT&T on the L920
  • Certain games that heated my L920 run cool on this.

What is disappointing a bit:

• The camera performance, though I didn't have high expectations. Much worse than L920
  • Battery take a long time to charge
  • No wireless charging, though it may be a possible upgrade at some point.

Amazing review. Aww I was kinda looking forward to wireless charging possibility as I've never had one but sure I guess its not a major factor for me not to get it. But amazing review. Thank you so much.

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site

I suppose not all phones are the same as like I have heard people have tonnes of problems with the Lumia 520 (my current driver) and I haven't had any problems since day one and I have it over two years now. Thanks for your reply.

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Stuttering during scrolling is because of the way lists are implemented. Text rendering is because of scaling issues.
Both are being addressed in Windows 10.

Want proof that text rendering is a software issue? Look at the screenshot above ;)
If it were a hardware issue the text wouldn't be "cut off".

I'd say the 640XL is in all respects a superior phone to the 520. Whether or not the PPI of the iPhone 5 is larger is insignificant to the discussion XD

I think the OP is bored of small phones

Yes I would like to get a bigger phone but I want to get in detailed pros and cons I had a topic post on possibly getting the 930 and the lack of removable battery and non expandable storage were a deal breaker for me. But yes I think its time for an upgrade. Thanks for your reply.

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
I've just bought one today as a replacement for my Samsung Ativ S which was an excellent phone but didn't have 4G. Here in the UK there is a chain of stores called Argos and I paid just ?169.95 which is a very good price unless you buy from a Hong Kong based company. So far it has been incredibly easy to set up having restored everything from backup. The screen is crystal clear and I intend to use it as a tablet although it's rather smaller than my Nexus 7, but I just hate android. You may need to download a user manual from Microsoft's website but it's all pretty transparent and I'd also suggest that you get a screensaver and protective case. It may be a cheap phone but you don't want a cracked screen.

I notice that the charger is only 120 milliamps whereas my S4 one is 2 Amp and consequently much faster. Any electricians out there who know if it would be safe to use it on a 640 XL?

Anyway, I recommend the phone and can't see any reason to wait for a higher spec phone with a much higher price, however tempting that might be.

The 640XL the price is right its hitting all the right notes so like why not. Glad your liking it so far.

Mohak Adav

May 1, 2013
Visit site
Been 14 days since I got my 640 XL , now the screen has two big bright white spots and the screen is unresponsive so I have to lock the screen and unlock it again to temporary solve the issue. Besides that it is an amazing phone for its price. I upgraded from Lumia 720.
Will be giving my 640 XL to Nokia Care for checkup and mostly get a replacement I hope.

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Been 14 days since I got my 640 XL , now the screen has two big bright white spots and the screen is unresponsive so I have to lock the screen and unlock it again to temporary solve the issue. Besides that it is an amazing phone for its price. I upgraded from Lumia 720.

Will be giving my 640 XL to Nokia Care for checkup and mostly get a replacement I hope.

I would get it replaced as its known as dead pixels, this could get problematic as time goes on as the white spots will become permanent. Replacement is your best bet and its under warranty as its only 14 days old so like bring it in receipt in hand. Thanks for letting me know. :)

neodk

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
The Lumia 640 XL isn't compatible with Qualcomm quick charging, so the charger that is included with the phone is what you should use. Anything with higher output is going to be capped at the maximum charge the phone was designed to receive. That being said, expect a slower charge time than what you were used to. Having owned devices with faster charging times, it can be an adjustment. But, those devices didn't have nearly the capacity that my 640 XL has. I'll take a reliable, stable device that has an all-day battery over a phone that charges more quickly (because it needs to) but also has an OS that isn't as reliable and rock solid.

barondebxl

May 4, 2015
Visit site
I just got this phone today (like literally 45 min ago, came from expansys USA). I can't believe this is $199. What a steal man. Great display despite it being "only" 720P, fast and smooth. Obviously too early to speak on battery life but it is something no one has complaint about so I'm not worried. Im coming from an S6 and before that a G4, 6 plus and just too many phones. I love this 640XL, this is a steal for real

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077